Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 9th February 2008, 17:13   #1  |  Link
lexor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 849
Blu-ray subtitle format

Hi guys, I've been looking all over for this, and I just can't find info on the actual subtitle format that Blu-ray discs use. I need at least a name to go by.

And is there a software that would let me edit/convert different types of subtitles to Blu-ray compatible type? It doesn't have to be free or OSS, I don't mind paying so long as it's within reason.

Thanks!
__________________
Geforce GTX 260
Windows 7, 64bit, Core i7
MPC-HC, Foobar2000

Last edited by lexor; 9th February 2008 at 18:17.
lexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 14:50   #2  |  Link
Pelican9
Coder
 
Pelican9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Around the World
Posts: 697
I've started to write a software which can read and write HD DVD and Blu-ray subtitles, but I've no time to finish it.
Pelican9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 15:15   #3  |  Link
jacobshek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
I found the following method for creating subtitle for avchd, may be suitable for you.

1. load *.srt file by SubtitleWorkshop4 (version 4 support bdn file export)
2. Clicks file->export customize image subtitle
3. select 8bit PNG, and select movie resolution and fps.
4. export
5. Open Scenarist 4.2 or above
6. Right click on data and choose to import bdn file.
7. Mux video, audio and PG stream.

After muxing, the m2ts file will contain presentation graphic stream.
Details of muxing, please follow HDDVD to bluray guide.
jacobshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 23:32   #4  |  Link
klas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobshek View Post
I found the following method for creating subtitle for avchd, may be suitable for you.

1. load *.srt file by SubtitleWorkshop4 (version 4 support bdn file export)
2. Clicks file->export customize image subtitle
3. select 8bit PNG, and select movie resolution and fps.
4. export
5. Open Scenarist 4.2 or above
6. Right click on data and choose to import bdn file.
7. Mux video, audio and PG stream.

After muxing, the m2ts file will contain presentation graphic stream.
Details of muxing, please follow HDDVD to bluray guide.
Can you be more precise on point seven on mux?
klas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 06:48   #5  |  Link
jacobshek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Can you be more precise on point seven on mux?
Drag Imported PG assert from data view to stream view and place to a clip, the action just same as move a video stream from data view to stream view.

From muxing, please refer to this link:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134402

Section in above link : Creating the BD
point 9.1 in above link : drag video.
point 9.2 in above link : drag audio.
I think drap PG to stream view is 9.3.

And for detailis of muxing, please follow the guide start from point 10.

Scenarist 4.2 will mux your video,audio and subtitle(Presentation graphic stream)

Last edited by jacobshek; 12th February 2008 at 07:01.
jacobshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 21:08   #6  |  Link
XolocoTuxmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Nice work jacobshek, have include a subtitles section in the guide
XolocoTuxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 01:08   #7  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Can you be more precise on point seven on mux?
not seeing file export in subtitle workshop 4. all i see is save as.

n/m did not have the beta..hehe

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle_Workshop

Last edited by jamos; 13th February 2008 at 01:27.
jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 06:19   #8  |  Link
jacobshek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamos View Post
not seeing file export in subtitle workshop 4. all i see is save as.

n/m did not have the beta..hehe

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle_Workshop
Yup, I only tested subtitle workshop beta 2.

XolocoTuxmaster, good to hearing from you that you have included to the guide.
jacobshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 02:01   #9  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobshek View Post
Yup, I only tested subtitle workshop beta 2.

XolocoTuxmaster, good to hearing from you that you have included to the guide.
dont you need to play with the colors and offset a bit to get them in sync and readable?
jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 16:28   #10  |  Link
jacobshek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamos View Post
dont you need to play with the colors and offset a bit to get them in sync and readable?
I tired use default color, it was not works. So I changed subtitle color to green instead of white, it works very well after changed color.
For offset, you should look at the first subtitle time in PG stream after imported to Scenarist. Then you can set offset to the subtitle on clip view.
jacobshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 16:44   #11  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobshek View Post
I tired use default color, it was not works. So I changed subtitle color to green instead of white, it works very well after changed color.
For offset, you should look at the first subtitle time in PG stream after imported to Scenarist. Then you can set offset to the subtitle on clip view.
yes I have done that with the color and bright green works good, but the subtitles are still not in sync even with adding offsets (remember to offset the beginning as well as the end), well some are but others are not. its almost as if the timings get randomly changed on them during import (or export from subtitleworkshop) and its not proportional.

Last edited by jamos; 14th February 2008 at 16:47.
jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 16:49   #12  |  Link
jacobshek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamos View Post
yes I have done that with the color and bright green works good, but the subtitles are still not in sync even with adding offsets (remember to offset the beginning as well as the end), well some are but others are not. its almost as if the timings get randomly changed on them during import (or export from subtitleworkshop) and its not proportional.
Yup, I found the same problem, I tried two movie, one is sync, but another one sync at beginning but not after 2x minutes. I wish to find out a solution to make it overcome the subtitle synchronization problem asap.

Last edited by jacobshek; 14th February 2008 at 16:57.
jacobshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 22:24   #13  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobshek View Post
Yup, I found the same problem, I tried two movie, one is sync, but another one sync at beginning but not after 2x minutes. I wish to find out a solution to make it overcome the subtitle synchronization problem asap.
This time i just added 3 sec. offset to the clip editor (after i placed all streams then double clicked the PG stream) and muxed again. perfect sync..go figure
jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 09:38   #14  |  Link
hm10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican9 View Post
I've started to write a software which can read and write HD DVD and Blu-ray subtitles, but I've no time to finish it.
pelcian when you backed from your travel?
i remembered you said me that the travel 8 months

so with you already here plz finish supread
or plz release the source code of the software maby another guy will finish this

thx man

Last edited by hm10; 15th February 2008 at 09:46.
hm10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 15:29   #15  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 812
Looks like the bug is in Subtitleworkshop4 beta 2. It exports :24 for frames when they should be the next second ie 00:00:00:24 should be 00:00:01:00 (format is HH:MM:SS:FF). in a 23.976 fps clip the highest frame that scenarist supports is 23. so scenarist will change the 24 to 23 (not sure why it doesnt increase instead of decrease) causing to drop a frame on the subtitle. after 24 of these corrections you lose 1 sec. sync with audio/video.

So in a movie you could be out of sync by 4 to 8 seconds by the end of the film between the subtitles and the audio/video.

also you must put in the start time for the first subtitle as the offset in the presentation stream.

Last edited by jamos; 16th February 2008 at 17:18.
jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 03:10   #16  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 812
BTW scenarist sucks at subtitles. when you try to adjust timing for multiples the software just freezes.
jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 01:39   #17  |  Link
PleXuS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 46
i imported the BDN file from subtitle workshop4beta2 but when i playback the Bluray with subtitle the first subtitle text starts when the movie starts at the same time!!?? not with the time that is been set in subtitle srt file or set time in subtitle workshop4b2!?

anyone know how that come? vista?


Best regards,
PleXuS
PleXuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 04:16   #18  |  Link
jacobshek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleXuS View Post
i imported the BDN file from subtitle workshop4beta2 but when i playback the Bluray with subtitle the first subtitle text starts when the movie starts at the same time!!?? not with the time that is been set in subtitle srt file or set time in subtitle workshop4b2!?

anyone know how that come? vista?


Best regards,
PleXuS
Is not vista problem, you must set offset of the subtitle stream before mux. Because Scenarist treat the first subtitle as 0 offset.
jacobshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2008, 16:36   #19  |  Link
jamos
Hey Now!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleXuS View Post
i imported the BDN file from subtitle workshop4beta2 but when i playback the Bluray with subtitle the first subtitle text starts when the movie starts at the same time!!?? not with the time that is been set in subtitle srt file or set time in subtitle workshop4b2!?

anyone know how that come? vista?


Best regards,
PleXuS

yes as said before in this thread set your video offset in your stream for the subtitles to the first subtitle time. ie if your first subtitle starts at 00:02:23:19 then set your video offset to that before you mux.
jamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.