PDA

View Full Version : SSA subs not in AVI when made in VirtualDub

chipzoller
31st January 2004, 04:09
What am I doing wrong here folks?

I have my subs (SSA 4) and I have the plugin for virtualdub. I load the AVI file in VD and add the filter and select the file. I can preview the file fine and all is well. Do I have to recompress the movie? Do I just "Save As"?
I've also tried Muxing the subs into the AVI with SubMux but it just produces a non-playable file at about 200~400 KB in size.

And another question: Is it possible to encode the video for the first time with SSA subs in it? Like loading it in an AVS script so you don't have to go back and mux them in (if it works)?

Help!

thanks,

Chip

chipzoller
31st January 2004, 21:54
I think I've found the problem. From what I've found, the video has to be re-compressed to use filters.

So there is no way to add subs in via VirtualDub by just Direct Stream Copy?

unmei
4th February 2004, 14:49
using direct stream copy means softsub (muxed as seperate togglable stream, not burned into the picture). In theory this is possible for AVI (using alex noe's avimuxgui also in practice) but you can't do it with virtual dub (mod) and incompatiblity with players might arise. Usually you would want to choose MKV or OGM container (using VD mod for instance) if you want soft subs (OGM: only srt format, MKV: srt and ssa/ass) as any player supporting tose formats will support them with soft subs.

ppera2
4th February 2004, 15:56
Originally posted by chipzoller
I think I've found the problem. From what I've found, the video has to be re-compressed to use filters.

So there is no way to add subs in via VirtualDub by just Direct Stream Copy?

Directstream copy just copies stream (video) without any change, as it's name says. It's usually used for multiplexing audio with video.