PDA

View Full Version : Play videos side by side

jriker1
20th January 2007, 21:01
As I clean up my uncompressed avi files, I like to compare different results to see the improvements if any. To date I have done a side by side comparison of a still image which isn't ideal but ok. As it gets more to the final product, it's harder to compare with still images. Is there a program that will allow me to play two avi files side by side simultaneously on screen so I can compare them?

Thanks.

JR

setarip_old
20th January 2007, 22:11
Hi!

You could simply open two iterations of good ol' Windows Media Player v.6.4, or any other player that allows opening more than one iteration at the same time...

jriker1
20th January 2007, 22:25
Thanks. That has some potential. Downloaded the 6.4 version since the old 5.1 version with XP would only play a couple minutes. Still not exactly timed but pretty close. My external fireware 800 drive sure doesn't appreciate running two 24GB uncompressed files at the same time though.

Thanks.

JR

setarip_old
21st January 2007, 18:45
Glad to hear it works for you ;>}

JohnnyMalaria
21st January 2007, 20:12
Make sure that one of the instances isn't using the hardware overlay. Otherwise, you may find that one looks darker/lighter than the other.

Another alternative is GraphEdit.

Inventive Software
22nd January 2007, 01:47
To get them exactly timed, I use an AviSynth script that loads 2 files and places them side-by-side like so:
video1=AVISource("sample1.avi")
video2=AVISource("sample2.avi")
HorizontalStack(video1,video2)
This works nicely, and within VirtualDub, I can compare frame-by-frame too! :) Of course, playing them in sync will be an issue with 24 GB uncompressed, regardless of whether you do it your way or the AviSynth way. ;)

Blue_MiSfit
29th January 2007, 08:08
Nice to know that both stackhorizontal and horizontalstack will work.

stackvertical works also.

I sometimes (just for fun) will make trip-out videos like this:

avisource("video.avi")

a=last
b=a.turnright()
c=a.turnleft()
d=a.turnright().turnright()

x=stackvertical(a,b)
y=stackvertical(c,d)
return(stackhorizontal(x,y)

or something to that effect. With some tweaking you can get some very cool results :)

~MiSfit

jriker1
1st February 2007, 00:20
Very nice on the avisynth idea. I l ike the frame by frame comparison you can do. Thank you.

Inventive Software
1st February 2007, 02:46
My pleasure. ;)

carlaron
19th December 2009, 21:11
Hello,

is it also possible to put different clips together, only showing one small stripe of each version?

like in this examples: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc294642(Expression.30).aspx