Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 12th April 2004, 21:04   #1  |  Link
jhaverbs

Nero Digital in Graphedit

Hi:

After reading in this forum, I have spent many hours to use Nero Digital codec in graphedit (using nero file splitter ,dvd decoder and audio decoder). The Nero Codec refuses to recognize video out from the dvd decoder). I have tried many other different DS filters but no luck. Can this really be done, i.e. using Nero Digital Codec outside of recode2 to encode mpg file that is not a part of a dvd.

Thanks for any help.

Bharat
jhaverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 21:32   #2  |  Link
opsis81

Rename graphedit as recode.exe and NeroDigital filters will work.
opsis81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2004, 21:55   #3  |  Link
jhaverbs

I will try that tonight. Thanks.
Old 13th April 2004, 18:48   #4  |  Link
Morpheus_xx

Quote:
Originally posted by opsis81
Rename graphedit as recode.exe and NeroDigital filters will work.
Thank you very much! I can also use mpeg-sources now so I can convert my TV-captures quite easy.

But there seems to be a limitation, I get CPU-load only from 40-50%. Maybe it decodes only in 'real-time', that means 25 fps. Do you know how to use it at 'full speed' ?

Thnx
Morpheus
Morpheus_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2004, 19:58   #5  |  Link
jhaverbs

Naming graphedit to recode works. What a magic. Thanks for the help. I did try it last night and encoded a mpg file to mp4 using graphedit and nero DS filters. Now I am getting excited, so I have two more questions:

1) I could use nero digital encode only in 1-pass. Is there some way to use it in 2-pass in graphedit to improve quality.

2) After getting the mp4 file, I have to demux it using mp4ui to get an avi-video file, faad.exe to covert AAC to wav, and remux in virtualdub with Lame ACM codec to get muxed avi with mp3. The reason I have to do this is because my portable ARCHOS video player (AV320) only plays avi files.

Is there some way to get avi with mp3 directly in graphedit? I tried few ways to do it last night with no success. Instead of using Nero Digital Audio encoder, and Nero Muxer, I used Lame Encoder & AVI Muxer, but the resulting avi file had no video.

It would be very nice to do this in graphedit.

Thanks,

Bharat
Old 14th April 2004, 14:17   #6  |  Link
opsis81

@jhaverbs
You can use 2 pass encoding.For me it works.But there is no way to automate things.After first pass finishes you have to change the settings and start the second pass.
The problem is with Lame Encoder.Intervideo Audio Encoder(which supports mp3 encoding too) works great for me.I'm connecting them with AVIMux with great success.
Old 14th April 2004, 14:21   #7  |  Link
opsis81

@jhaverbs
I forgot it.Don't use mp4UI for extracting video.It's too buggy.Use graphedit.
Open your mp4 file.Connect it with 3ivx media spitter,then connect it with AVIMux and finally write your AVI file.
Old 14th April 2004, 17:26   #8  |  Link
jhaverbs

Thanks opsis81. So, how do I do the second pass encoding?

For the second pass, should I use the first pass mp4 file as a file source in graphedit, split it to get video, input to nero encoder, then what next? In the codec part of nero encoder, should I set 1-pass or 2-pass? Sorry, this is a little confusing to me.

BTW, I am assuming that in the first pass, I don't encode audio, and use 1-pass in the nero codec setting. Only in the second pass I use audio encoding.

Thanks again for the suggestion on using Intervideo audio encoder rather than Lame. I will try this tonight.
Old 14th April 2004, 18:06   #9  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by jhaverbs
For the second pass, should I use the first pass mp4 file as a file source in graphedit, split it to get video, input to nero encoder, then what next? In the codec part of nero encoder, should I set 1-pass or 2-pass? Sorry, this is a little confusing to me.
simply reuse the same dshow graph as before, simply go to the nero encoder settings and set the same settings as with the first pass again, but switch to 2nd pass of course

Quote:
BTW, I am assuming that in the first pass, I don't encode audio, and use 1-pass in the nero codec setting. Only in the second pass I use audio encoding.
well its always the best to encode the audio before starting encoding the video, cause otherwise you will not know the right bitrate for the video, which results in a 700mb (or whatever desired size) final file

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2004, 18:21   #10  |  Link
Morpheus_xx

Works really fine for me too, except one thing:

When I try to connect Intervideo Audio Encoder to AviMux I can't render the graph (error: "can't change state"). Does anybody know what the problem could be???

So for now I use filewriter and later mux it manually.

Btw, could anybody write a simple gui for encoding in ND? Would be very useful, because it always takes some time to build a graph.

Morpheus
Old 15th April 2004, 16:04   #11  |  Link
Morpheus_xx

One more problem:

when I use graphedit to encode mpg->avi (ND) the resulting files do not play on my standalone (Hiteker HE-940). The timecounter jumps in 4-10 seconds steps.

The "same" conversion with recode using the same profile works. More exactly:
mpg->TMPGEnc DVD Author->Recode->mp4->grapedit->avi->FourCC auf XVID

Any suggestions?
Old 15th April 2004, 20:58   #12  |  Link
jhaverbs

Thanks to bond and opsis81, I have succesfully encoded mpg to mp4 using ND in 2-pass. Beautiful.

Two, new, wierd problems trying to convert mp4 to avi in Graphedit.

1) As suggessted by opsis81, I installed 3ivx D4 package, and used 3ivx D4 media splitter to first get video out of mp4, and used AVIMUX.

I also bought Intervideo MP3 Encoder, and used it instead of Lame. But graphedit will not allow to mux. I get the same error Morpheus_xx;
can't render the graph, error: "can't change state". Something about time stamp error. So I removed the mp3 stream from AVIMUX, got my avi fle from graphedit, and muxed it in virtualub.

2) When I play the avi file, the playback is very choppy. In fact even my previously encoded xVID files play choppy. It appears that the decompression is done by 3ivx codec. I see that when I see file properties in the windows. Somehow the 3ivx splitter gives the demuxed avi file from mp4 the 3ivx codec stamp.

Should I uninstall the 3ivx D4 package and go back to using mp4UI for getting avi and muxing it in virtualdub.

A final question, the Intervideo mp3 codec's bit rate could not be changed in the graphedit. I was able to assign Lame a bitrate in graphedit. Somehow the property does not work on the Intervideo mp3 encoder? I have to actually use the windows Intervideo config program to assign the encoding bitrate.

Thanks once again for the help.

Bharat
Old 15th April 2004, 22:33   #13  |  Link
opsis81

@jhaverbs

If AVIMUX doesn't work correctly use Matroska Muxer instead and write an mkv file.Then demux your mkv file with mkvextract (you will get an avi and a mp3 file).
Finally use AVIMux_gui to remux the avi and a mp3 file to a new avi.
I NEVER had problems following these steps.
You can't use mp4UI with NeroDigital mp4 files.They normally have B-frames.mp4UI can't work correctly with them.

If you want to disable the 3ivx mp4 decoding and enable nerodigital mp4 decoding create a reg file with the following and install it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions\.mp4]
"Source Filter"="{E206E4DE-A7EE-4A62-B3E9-4FBC8FE84C73}"

If you want to enable the 3ivx mp4 decoding and disable nerodigital mp4 decoding create a reg file with the following and install it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions\.mp4]
"Source Filter"=""

If you want to use the 3ivx media splitter with unsupported decoders,such as ffdshow MPEG-4 Decoder,XviD MPEG-4 Decoder
and coreAAC Audio Decoder create a reg file with the following and install it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\3ivx]
"3ivx Media Splitter Props"=hex:01,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,19,07,55,\

If you want to disable DivX and XviD decoding from 3ivx D4 Video Decoder create a reg file with the following and install it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\3ivx]
"3ivx Video Decoder Props"=hex:00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,60,00,01,00,00,00,7c,bc,71,40,00,00,00,00

Finally,Intervideo mp3 codec's bit rate can be changed in graphedit BEFORE connecting it to any other filter.
Old 15th April 2004, 23:17   #14  |  Link
jhaverbs

Thansk opsis81 for your assistance with mp4 to avi conversion.

Just to clarify, to follow the codec registeration etc, do I use a text editor with those lines, and save it as .inf or .reg file? Then do I right click and say install. Please excuse me about these trivial questions but I am a novice at this.

Regards,

Bharat
Old 19th April 2004, 17:23   #15  |  Link
Morpheus_xx

Some new problems:

When I use either Matroska or Ogg Mux the files are not playable, in fact they crash every programm that try to open it (mplayerc,bsplay,vdubmod...)

I have B-Frames enabled in codec-settings, could that be a problem?

Morpheus
Old 19th April 2004, 21:48   #16  |  Link
jhaverbs

The Good News Bad News Nero Digital to AVI

Well, I finally succeeded in using nero digital codec in graphedit to get an avi file rather than a mp4 file, in one graph during the 2nd pass. Here is my graph.

Mpg File..->.Mpeg2 Splitter..(Audio)..->..Intervideo Audio Decoder
.............(video)................................MP3 Compressor
.............Nero DVD Decoder.....................|
.............Nero Digital Encoder...................|
.............AVI Mux.....< --------------------
.............File Writer
.................|
.............(Avi File)

The resulting AVI file works fine on my PC. But when I transfer it to my ARCHOS video player, it does not play.

Playing the file in Zoom player, I found that it is using Nero DVD Decoder and MP3 Uncpmpressors.

My question is, since the video from the Nero Digital Encoder is MP4V, can I somehow change the Codec Signature to say DIVX. Then my ARCHOS can decompress the video usig DIVX MP4V decompressor.

For the time being, I am doing few steps to acheive this. Writing mp4 output from NerO Digital Encoder using Neo Muxer. Then in a second step using 3ivx demuxer to get video out and using AVI MUX to add MP3 audio. The resulting avi file plays OK in ARCHOS player as long as my MP3 was converted from Mpeg audio in another step using DirectShow Lame MP3 filter.

On the other hand, If I use vfw Frauhnfer MP3 compressor in a single step for encoding and muxing with video, the resulting avi file has 320 kbps, and somehow 0 bits in frequency. Nevertheless it plays fine on PC but not in ARCHOS.

Summary:

1) Can I change codec signature from Nero Digital to 3ivx in nero encoded video?
2) Need help with using vfw MP3 Compressor in graphedit

Thanks
Old 19th April 2004, 23:15   #17  |  Link
opsis81

@jhaverbs
NeroDigital FourCC is NDIG.
If you have searched the forum,you would find the info you want...
You need Nic's FourCC changer.It is included in XviD codec and doom9 downloads.
Old 20th April 2004, 09:10   #18  |  Link
jhaverbs

MP3 ACM Muxing to AVI in Graphedit Problem

Thanks opsis81. Changing FourCC from NDIG to mp4v did the trick. The file splays in ARCHOS portable video player.

Before this thread is put to rest, can someone please direct me how to use MP3 ACM filter in graphedit to mux mp3 audio into mp4v video to get avi file.

I have tried filter configurator for DS by Trombettworks. I tried many different ACM codecs, from Intervideo MP3Xpack, Creative ctmp3.acm and few versions of Lame. Lame does not even connect to avimux, graphedit crashes. Other ACM MP3 do not crash graphedit. Here is what happens. After connecting MP3 to AVI, and completing all filter connections, I use property in Trombettworks Filter. The I click on mp3 under Trombettworks window. In the properties I see 0 in some of the bitrates. Like this
"0 bits 4800 Hz 320 Kbit/s Stereo"

All lines have 0 bits for various frequencies and bit rates. I chosse 192 Kbit/s and 4800 Hz. The resulting avi file, after changing FourCC from NDIG to mp4v plays fine on PC but not in ARCHOS. I think that 0 bits sounds suspecious.

But I was able to make it work. I opened the avi file in virtualdubmod, and used direct stream copy for both video & audio, and saved it as a different file name. And a strange thing happened. The file size got reduced from 122 MB to 80 MB and it palys both on PC and in ARCHOS.

Well, I can always repeat that for future Nero Digital to AVI conversion. But I will appreciate if anyone can help solve this mystery. I have spent many hours searching and trying.

Thanks.
Old 20th April 2004, 09:27   #19  |  Link
jhaverbs

Quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus_xx
Thank you very much! I can also use mpeg-sources now so I can convert my TV-captures quite easy.

But there seems to be a limitation, I get CPU-load only from 40-50%. Maybe it decodes only in 'real-time', that means 25 fps. Do you know how to use it at 'full speed' ?

Thnx
Morpheus
Well I just solved this one from reading audio forum. There is a default Use Clock checked under Graph menu. Uncheck it, and run graph, bingo, it runs at Full Speed 55-60 fps.

Bharat
Old 26th April 2004, 04:43   #20  |  Link
jhaverbs

Re: MP3 ACM Muxing to AVI in Graphedit Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by jhaverbs
Thanks opsis81. Changing FourCC from NDIG to mp4v did the trick. The file splays in ARCHOS portable video player.

Before this thread is put to rest, can someone please direct me how to use MP3 ACM filter in graphedit to mux mp3 audio into mp4v video to get avi file.

I have tried filter configurator for DS by Trombettworks. I tried many different ACM codecs, from Intervideo MP3Xpack, Creative ctmp3.acm and few versions of Lame. Lame does not even connect to avimux, graphedit crashes. Other ACM MP3 do not crash graphedit. Here is what happens. After connecting MP3 to AVI, and completing all filter connections, I use property in Trombettworks Filter. The I click on mp3 under Trombettworks window. In the properties I see 0 in some of the bitrates. Like this
"0 bits 4800 Hz 320 Kbit/s Stereo"

All lines have 0 bits for various frequencies and bit rates. I chosse 192 Kbit/s and 4800 Hz. The resulting avi file, after changing FourCC from NDIG to mp4v plays fine on PC but not in ARCHOS. I think that 0 bits sounds suspecious.

But I was able to make it work. I opened the avi file in virtualdubmod, and used direct stream copy for both video & audio, and saved it as a different file name. And a strange thing happened. The file size got reduced from 122 MB to 80 MB and it palys both on PC and in ARCHOS.

Well, I can always repeat that for future Nero Digital to AVI conversion. But I will appreciate if anyone can help solve this mystery. I have spent many hours searching and trying.

Thanks.
I did figure it out after a lot of trial and error. The default interleaving property for "AVI Mux" in graphedit is None. I changed that to Full, and left the frequency at 1000 ms. Now the muxed avi file is right size and plays in the ARCHOS player.

By the way, is 1000 ms good parameter value for interleaving. I did check the default value in virtualdub, and it is at every frame, which is like 33 ms.