Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 24th August 2005, 23:26   #1  |  Link
TheBashar

x264 1st Pass Log Format?

I've done some searching but I can't seem to find a description of x264 1st pass log format. I'd like the make a compressibility calculator based on the 1st pass log. Can anybody point me to a description of the log format or am I going to have to use the source (Luke)?

Thanks!
TheBashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2005, 12:42   #2  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Uhm, dont think the format is explained anywhere (other than the source) but maybe this will be usefull: https://trac.videolan.org/x264/file/...tquant_x264.pl
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2005, 16:40   #3  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

in:%d out:%d type:%c q:%f itex:%d ptex:%d mv:%d misc:%d imb:%d pmb:%d smb:%d

in: frame number in display order.
out: frame number in coded order.
type: 'I'=>I-frame (IDR), 'i'=>I-frame (non-IDR), 'P'=>P-frame, 'B'=>B-frame (referenced), 'b'=>B-frame (disposable).
q: average QP over all macroblocks in the frame. (currently an integer since we don't do per-MB ratecontrol).
itex: bits spent on DCT residuals in intra MBs.
ptex: bits spent on DCT residuals in inter MBs.
mv: bits spent on MVs, refs, and partitions.
misc: bits spend on MB skip flags, slice header, and alignment.
imb/pmb/smb: number of intra/inter/skip MBs.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2005, 16:54   #4  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

akupenguin
Have you any idea how to suggest hi-motion/low-motion video fragments using x264 1st Pass Log file? My idea is to create external tool for automatic AVS file tuning (adding spartial filter for hi-motion fragments, adding temporal filter for low-motion etc) in order to increase compressibility/overall quality ?
dimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2005, 01:01   #5  |  Link
omion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimzon
akupenguin
Have you any idea how to suggest hi-motion/low-motion video fragments using x264 1st Pass Log file? My idea is to create external tool for automatic AVS file tuning (adding spartial filter for hi-motion fragments, adding temporal filter for low-motion etc) in order to increase compressibility/overall quality ?
One way to find that out is to add up the itex, ptex, mv, and misc values. That equals the frame size. Then multiply that by (I think) 2^(qp/6) to factor in the quantization. The number you get out should be a measure of relative frame complexity.

It would probably be a good idea to only consider the P-frames, for example, as I frames are always going to be larger than P and B, but that doesn't mean high-motion.

You might also want to do something with the I-frame interval. If there are a lot of I-frames in a row, that indicates high-motion. If the I-frames are the max number of frames apart (by default 250) that indicates low-motion.
Similarly for B-frames: if there are a lot of B-frames between two P-frames, that indicates low-motion. If there are none, then it's high-motion (or they're turned off You need to have a bit more information about the video than what's in the log file for this to work)

None of these methods are sure-fire, so do a bunch of tests first!
Old 12th September 2005, 11:33   #6  |  Link
chen

pict_type

[QUOTE=akupenguintype: 'I'=>I-frame (IDR), 'i'=>I-frame (non-IDR), 'P'=>P-frame, 'B'=>B-frame (referenced), 'b'=>B-frame (disposable).[/QUOTE]
What is IDR? And what makes it different from normal I-frames?
What is a disposable B-frame?
chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2005, 12:41   #7  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Disposable means that when b-pyramid is turned on, it's not one of the b-reference frames. When it's off, all b-frames are this. (Like divx/xvid b-frames.)

IDR frames start a new GOP, thus they're the easiest to seek to. The distiction is made because p/b frames can reference frames on the other side of a normal I frame in h.264.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote