Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Closed Thread

Old 20th October 2013, 07:51   #1  |  Link
MADHATTER16

720p .mkv in small file size

I made up my mind to post here thinking that many video editor/decoder/specialsts lurking here could guide me to the best and specific answer I failed to get through search engines so here it goes:

Can someone explain to me how to create a 720p mkv file in small size? How is it possible and how it is done. You see I'm an anime collector and I am wondering how come some files, say a typical anime episode of 23-25 minutes comes in 720p yet it has only 90-100mb file size while some are in 480p with a whopping file size of 150-230mb??? Is there an app capable of converting 480p to 720p without compromising the quality? It would really be nice to store files with higher resolution yet consumes little space in the drive.

I apologize if the question sounds too narrow or easy for some but I'm on my wit's end and I would really appreciate if someone here could explain the technicalities of this matter.

Kudos!

Last edited by MADHATTER16; 20th October 2013 at 07:54.
Old 20th October 2013, 08:19   #2  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADHATTER16 View Post
Can someone explain to me how to create a 720p mkv file in small size?
Just use a low bitrate/file size, or a high CRF number if for 1-pass.
Quote:
Is there an app capable of converting 480p to 720p without compromising the quality?
Of course not. Just the act of reencoding degrades the quality. But to reencode, raise the resolution, and get a smaller filesize, is foolish.

The 720p encodes most likely came from Blu-Ray sources or Hi-Def TV captures. It would be stupid to take a DVD or other 480p or i source and make a 720p video from it. And even more stupid to take a downloaded 480p video and upscale it to 720p.
Old 20th October 2013, 13:54   #3  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADHATTER16 View Post
You see I'm an anime collector and I am wondering how come some files, say a typical anime episode of 23-25 minutes comes in 720p yet it has only 90-100mb file size while some are in 480p with a whopping file size of 150-230mb?
Where are you getting animes like that?
Old 21st October 2013, 14:00   #4  |  Link
MADHATTER16

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
Just use a low bitrate/file size, or a high CRF number if for 1-pass.

Of course not. Just the act of reencoding degrades the quality. But to reencode, raise the resolution, and get a smaller filesize, is foolish.

The 720p encodes most likely came from Blu-Ray sources or Hi-Def TV captures. It would be stupid to take a DVD or other 480p or i source and make a 720p video from it. And even more stupid to take a downloaded 480p video and upscale it to 720p.
Yep, I somehow thought it's not possible (well i guess it's possible, it's just that it won't bear a good quality result) therefore it's not advisable (HOPE smashed!). I'll just settle for what's available then. Thanks for the reply though Manono, you've been a great help. Somehow I am free of this dilemma.
Old 21st October 2013, 14:03   #5  |  Link
MADHATTER16

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Where are you getting animes like that?
I found a site where I download One Piece episodes which are in 720p but with a file size ranging from 90-130 (at most) which made me question how come he was able to produce that..coz I normally encounter a 720p anime episode of 20-23 mins in 300+mb file size. http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?t=453406
Old 21st October 2013, 15:04   #6  |  Link

You are violating forum rule 6. We do not allow discussion of downloaded materials. Further violations of forum rules can incur strikes. Thread closed.

http://forum.doom9.org/forum-rules.htm
Closed Thread

Tags
mkv