Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2008, 09:52   #1  |  Link
pokeguru87

MKV to WMV Conversion

I'm currently trying to convert some MKV files to a WMV or some other format like DivX or Xvid (Which I could then convert to WMV with working encoders I have found). I have found 2 that actually work for me so far, but with undesired side effects. The first one is AllToAVI. This program works great and I get a nice file the thing is that the MKV files I'm converting are using custom fonts and positioning and AllToAVI doesn't even consider this extra data. The other program I have found to work well is WinAVI. It does the subtitles correctly and everything, the only problem is that this program doesn't work on Vista. Currently I have to use Virtual PC with Windows XP installed to convert video, and this is slow, not to mention a hassle to convert a few videos.

So here is my question for you all: Is there a transcoder like WinAVI that will work on Vista x64 (I use the 32-bit codecs so I would need a 32-bit transcoder for it to work)? I'll also word this another way, is there a transcoder that works for Vista that uses the ffdshow Encoder/Decoder/etc. for its transcoding?

Last edited by pokeguru87; 15th May 2008 at 09:54.
pokeguru87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 02:34   #2  |  Link
Zaxx

Try Windows Movie Maker.
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2008, 13:41   #3  |  Link
Ronin-7

* Get AutoMKV
* load in your MKV
* select WMV as the container
* under subtitle track select the correct subtitle or click the !!! button and load an external sub file e.g srt
* on advanced setting tab tick box for burn subtitle

That should work & get you a WMV with the subs burned into it.

(AutoMKV works fine under Vistax64)
Ronin-7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom subtitle, mkv, transcode, wmv