Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th January 2016, 22:40   #1  |  Link
srfscenar

Screenpass lock

Hi all,

does anyone have any experience with SONY's Screenpass security for DVD/BD?
Is it for both DVD and BD? I have been told that it requires a special authoring procedure but I do not know any details.

Anyone care to share some?

Thanks!
Old 16th February 2016, 22:23   #2  |  Link
oglaf

Screenpass for DVD is just ARCcOS renamed. The requirements for this process are confidential, but I believe it involves leaving extra space on the disc.

Screenpass for Blu-ray is an entirely new process that was developed at Sony and then spun off. The requirements for this process are also confidential, but I believe it can encompass both HDMV authoring and BD-J/BD-Live programming if that is present, and involves adding content to the disc.
oglaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 22:44   #3  |  Link
srfscenar

Thanks Oglaf!
It is indeed a matter of extra space.
I'll try to contact Sony to get some more info regarding authoring process.

Thank you!
Old 17th February 2016, 00:28   #4  |  Link
rik1138

If it costs money to use Screenpass, and you have a client asking about it, advise them not to bother. It's an easily broken protection that can be defeated within hours of the disc being released (if it's not defeated instantly), so it's not worth paying for...

If it's free, and they want the illusion of 'peace of mind', then go for it.

I always advise against pay-for-use copy protection on DVD or Blu-ray, since they are always cracked within hours of release (and 'release' usually means from advance copies weeks before street date, so the discs are copy-able when they go on sale). Not worth the hassle, expense, and possible player compatibility issues for something that is, essentially, useless...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 00:36   #5  |  Link
srfscenar

Well, I couldn't agree more. I too advise them not to bother and always explain how easy it is to copy anything digital but on the other hand the client has always right! All we can do is advise, after that it's their decision- problem! Thanks rik!
Old 19th February 2016, 03:38   #6  |  Link
rik1138

Yep, I know exactly how that goes! I'm not always successful at talking them out of it either, all you can do is provide them with the information and see where it goes.
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote