Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 25th July 2011, 14:53   #1  |  Link
doguleez

Problem with short clips on Panasonic BD65

I have the following problem:

I take a BD-compatible ts and run it through tsMuxer, cutting the ts into many short clips and producing a bluray disk image. Nothing fancy - just one playlist.

When I burn the result and play it on a Panasonic DMP BD65K, there is a little jump at each transition between clips. This is especially noticeable if the ts is something like a news broadcast with a crawl at the bottom.

Looking at the second clip in a transition, the BD65 is not presenting the first few frames of that clip.

It doesn't seem to make any difference if the BD65's "seamless play" option is turned on or off. (Yes, the firmware is up-to-date.)

Other players, in particular LG, play the short clips play fine, just as if they were one big clip.

The question:
Is it a problem with the Panasonic decoder, or can other authoring tools split a stream so that it plays well on Panasonic?

It would be a little hard, though not impossible, to believe that the Panasonic just doesn't play clip transitions seamlessly.

Thanks,

Dog
doguleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 15:00   #2  |  Link
RoyGBiv-inRI

I wouldn't be so sure it's not the BD65. I have the same BD player. I had a somewhat similar issue. I have backed up copies of TV episodes onto on DVD5 using multiAVCHD to make them strict AVCHD format which the BD65 will play. The default for multiAVCHD is to break streams into 4 gb pieces ("for compatibility"), so I would end up with two streams for each episode. The BD65 would usually, though not always, pause at this spot for about 5 seconds before continuing on. Playing it on my computer (I have no other BD player) was never an issue. I changed the setting in multiAVCHD so that it doesn't break up the streams into pieces any longer. Problem solved.

I think the BD65 just doesn't like putting streams together seemlessly.

SMK
RoyGBiv-inRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 15:01   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

If I got straight, you had a .TS file from which you removed the commercials.
I don't know for sure for BD, but on DVDs, these clips will always be non seamless, unless authored into a single file. It may be the same for BD. In that case, the LG made you a favour while the Panny was stricter.
There is another possible problem - the discontinuity of the time code stamps (at cuts). Try running the file/s again through tsmuxer to provide a continuous TC.
Old 26th July 2011, 06:52   #4  |  Link
doguleez

To fill in some background, this question relates to a bd-live application where part of the idea is to be able to start anywhere without waiting too long for the relevant clip to download. That is the reason for short clips. There shouldn't be any problem with time continuity.

The skip that I am seeing is only a fraction of a second, and doesn't seem to depend on the length of the clips involved, though of course if the clips are longer, the skips happen less often.

I realize that Panasonic might get away with not playing seamlessly because most real BDs are probably authored so that clip transitions happen when the screen would be going black anyway. There has to be some reason why it is so cheap.

Thanks,

Dog
doguleez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluray, panasonic, seamless, tsmuxer