Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 4th December 2009, 15:09   #1281  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Maybe, maybe not.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 6th December 2009, 16:55   #1282  |  Link
Chumbo

Mosu,
I have a stream where the audio is 1 second behind the video. Rather than chopping off the first 1024ms of the audio, I decided to use a delay of +1024 on the video track but it made no difference in the resulting file. Using -1024 on the audio track works just fine. Not sure if the delay for the video track is supposed to work or not or if it ever did, but wanted to let you know that it does not work. At least not in 2.9.9.
Old 6th December 2009, 17:43   #1283  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Have you made sure with mkvinfo that the video track timestamps are REALLY not adjusted by that 1024? Because it's working just fine for me:

Quote:
[0 mosu@tionne ~/prog/video/mkvtoolnix/data] mkvmerge -i v.avi
File 'v.avi': container: AVI
Track ID 0: video (DIV3)
Track ID 1: audio (MP3)
[0 mosu@tionne ~/prog/video/mkvtoolnix/data] mkvmerge -o v.mkv --sync 0:1000 v.avi
mkvmerge v2.9.9 ('Tutu') built on Dec 5 2009 19:04:14
'v.avi': Using the AVI demultiplexer. Opening file. This may take some time depending on the file's size.
'v.avi' track 0: Using the video output module.
'v.avi' track 1: Using the MPEG audio output module.
The file 'v.mkv' has been opened for writing.
Progress: 100%
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Muxing took 0 seconds.
[0 mosu@tionne ~/prog/video/mkvtoolnix/data] mkvinfo -s v.mkv | grep -i 'track 1' | head -n 2
Track 1: video, codec ID: V_MS/VFW/FOURCC (FourCC: DIV3, 0x33564944), default duration: 41.708ms (23.976 fps for a video track), language: und, pixel width: 640, pixel height: 352, display width: 640, display height: 352
I frame, track 1, timecode 1000 (00:00:01.000), size 13424, adler 0x6e3488a8
I can see two possiblities:

1. Your command line is wrong. This could even be the case if you're using mmg; though in that case it would obviously be a bug in mmg.

2. The process is working fine, but playback doesn't honor that 1s offset. In this case there's nothing I can do about it.

Old 6th December 2009, 19:40   #1284  |  Link
burfadel

I was wondering whether a batch remux facility could be incorporated in to mmg. An example would be to click on remux, select 'add files' where you can select all acceptable containers currently, and then proceed and it automatically convert the avi and mp4 container input files to mkv. Even handier would be the ability to select files, and subfolders where you may have tv shows, and be able to output the files with the same folder structure. In the next month or so, I will be transferring files to new hdd's, so thought it would be good to standardise my video content in terms of container format. The ability to do subfolders etc would be handy, so I could essentially just select the main video folder on the old 750gb drives, and output the main folder on the new drives keeping the current folder structure.

MMG is an excellent muxer, I'm sure a batch remux function as outlined above wouldn't be too difficult to implement and I'm sure many would find it useful.
Old 6th December 2009, 19:56   #1285  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Sorry, but such a feature will never be implemented. There are excellent shells out there that can do this easily. For example, with a bash you could convert all .avi files into Matroska with these commands:

Quote:
find -type f -name '*.avi' | { while read filename ; do mkvmerge -o /path/to/output/dir/"`basename "$filename" .avi`.mkv" "$filename" ; done ; }
I know that using shells is not everyone's thing. However, implementing a powerful and flexible batch remuxer requires countless hours of work. If I cut down on the hours then either the flexibility or the number of features would be severely reduced and therefore the work would not be worth it because too few people could actually use it in such a state.

The short version is that it's waaaaay too much work and that I don't have that amount of free time. So.... no. Sorry.

Old 7th December 2009, 06:17   #1286  |  Link
burfadel

Ah ok! I didn't realise it would be such a complex thing lol
Old 8th December 2009, 00:57   #1287  |  Link
thymej

mmg sees the first DVD movie vob, vts_0x_0.vob with a mpeg2 video and ac3 audio as it should, but all the other vobs part of the dvd movie are seen with an AVC/h.264 video with ac3 audio. So I cant append the vobs together on a dvd, to make a mkv.

tsRMuxer, MediaInfo all see the vobs with mpeg2 video, only mmg sees only the first vob with mepg2 video. Does this mean its not supported and I have to use a 3rd party vob joiner first?
Old 8th December 2009, 04:45   #1288  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Have you made sure with mkvinfo that the video track timestamps are REALLY not adjusted by that 1024? Because it's working just fine for me:

I can see two possiblities:

1. Your command line is wrong. This could even be the case if you're using mmg; though in that case it would obviously be a bug in mmg.

2. The process is working fine, but playback doesn't honor that 1s offset. In this case there's nothing I can do about it.
I'll have to use mkvinfo to check what you suggested, so no I have not done that.

In regards to the two possibilities: #1) I used the UI so I assume the command it executes is fine and #2) You may be correct in this.

I'll grab mkvinfo and check it out. Thank you.
Old 8th December 2009, 08:24   #1289  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymej View Post
mmg sees the first DVD movie vob, vts_0x_0.vob with a mpeg2 video and ac3 audio as it should, but all the other vobs part of the dvd movie are seen with an AVC/h.264 video with ac3 audio. So I cant append the vobs together on a dvd, to make a mkv.
That's a known problem that I haven't had the time to look at yet. See also https://www.bunkus.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=437

Quote:
Does this mean its not supported and I have to use a 3rd party vob joiner first?
"Well... it's kinda supposed to work" to the first question and "that'd be the best workaround to use for the time being" to the second one.

Old 11th December 2009, 20:41   #1290  |  Link
Snowknight26

Apparently if you Alt+F4 the muxing progress window, the muxing still continues in the background.
Old 11th December 2009, 20:49   #1291  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Use the "Cancel" button instead. I won't fix that.

Old 12th December 2009, 17:55   #1292  |  Link
osgZach

The header editor is a pretty nice tool, although I was wondering if there are other tools out there that might allow batch modifications of specific tags by specific criterea ? I tried messing with the CLI but I ended up feeling overwhelmed real fast and worried I was gonna screw up the file somehow.

e.g Process 10 files, and set all tracks with tag value of "X" to the default playback track, and any other languages to "not default". It seems I've messed up some of my stuff in the past, would be nice to fix without a remux.

Also.. keeping that in mind, I think my WDTV Live doesn't even recognize the default playback tag (I haven't tested it for sure), I'm not sure.. It may be going by the first audio track it finds - is there a way I can re-assign track numbers without remuxing ? Or for that matter editing or adding new chapters?

I'm guessing its probably just easier to demux and remux though..
Old 12th December 2009, 18:43   #1293  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgZach View Post
The header editor is a pretty nice tool, although I was wondering if there are other tools out there that might allow batch modifications of specific tags by specific criterea ? I tried messing with the CLI but I ended up feeling overwhelmed real fast and worried I was gonna screw up the file somehow.
Not in that detail, but there's mkvpropedit which is like mmg's header editor just for the command line. And it is as it is with the command line -- there's no tool more powerful if you know how to use it

Quote:
e.g Process 10 files, and set all tracks with tag value of "X" to the default playback track, and any other languages to "not default". It seems I've messed up some of my stuff in the past, would be nice to fix without a remux.
Easily scriptable with a proper shell (e.g. bash), analyzing the output of "mkvmerge --identify ..." and calling mkvpropedit with the appropriate parameters.

Quote:
It may be going by the first audio track it finds - is there a way I can re-assign track numbers without remuxing ?
You can do that with mmg's header editor and with mkvpropedit.

Old 13th December 2009, 03:36   #1294  |  Link
osgZach

Well like I said, I tried using the CLI but just found it a little over my head I think. Perhaps I'll give it another go, if there are any in-depth guides to using it (besides the documentation) maybe that would help me get the hang of it a little more.

I was planning to just write a batch file to do a bunch of CLI stuff, just having trouble getting to hang of the mkvpropedit tool I guess.
Old 13th December 2009, 11:35   #1295  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvtoolnix 3.0.0 released

Hey,

I've released mkvtoolnix v3.0.0. This release contains contains the
usual mix of bug fixes and smaller enhancements.

Here are the usual links...

...to the home page:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

...to the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-3.0.0.tar.bz2

...to the Windows installer and 7zip archive:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....0.0-setup.exe
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...icode-3.0.0.7z

All binaries that I provide myself have already been uploaded.

Here's the full ChangeLog since release 2.9.9:

------------------------------------------------------------
2009-12-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v3.0.0.
* mmg: enhancement: Added support for showing the muxing progress for both normal muxes and the job manager in Windows 7's taskbar.

2009-12-06 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* all: bug fix: The charset for output in cmd.exe for non-English interface languages has been fixed on Windows Vista and Windows 7.
* all: enhancement for Windows platforms: If one of the mkvtoolnix components is run without having been installed before then translations will be read from the directory the .exe is run from.

2009-12-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* configure: Added an option ('--without-build-timestamp') that omits the build timestamp from all version information so that two builds of mkvtoolnix can be byte-identical.

2009-12-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvpropedit, mmg: bug fix: Editing headers of files created by HandBrake would cause crashes and/or corrupted files after saving. Fix for bug 445.
------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun.

Mosu

Old 13th December 2009, 16:00   #1296  |  Link
Chumbo

Congrats on the new major version release Mosu. Thank you for your continued efforts on this tool. I, for one, really appreciate it.
Old 13th December 2009, 17:40   #1297  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Thx for the release. Any news on bug 289?
Old 13th December 2009, 18:03   #1298  |  Link
stax76

Congrats Mosu on the major release and thanks for everything.
Old 14th December 2009, 01:12   #1299  |  Link
Snowknight26

The output text box's text isn't vetically centered properly due to the text box being taller than usual.

Last edited by Snowknight26; 14th December 2009 at 04:57.
Old 14th December 2009, 10:19   #1300  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
Congrats on the new major version release Mosu. Thank you for your continued efforts on this tool. I, for one, really appreciate it.
Thanks & you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Thx for the release. Any news on bug 289?
Nope. To be honest, you're the only person who ever showed interest in this particular problem. I've already spent a lot of hours working on it during our debugging session mid-summer, and I don't consider further work on it worth the effort. I won't close the bug; maybe one day I'll find myself having some spare time and actually wanting to fix this. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Congrats Mosu on the major release and thanks for everything.
Thanks & you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
The output text box's text isn't vetically centered properly due to the text box being taller than usual.
The text is not supposed to be centered.

Closed Thread