Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st January 2017, 05:43   #281  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboxer511 View Post
Great post. This was really helpful as was your guide you posted on wiki.jriver.com which led me to this forum. There were a couple questions/corrections/guide mistakes I wanted to communicate with you:
I am glad it helped.. but I don't remember posting anything on that wiki. I am glad whoever did thought it was valuable too.

Quote:
Smooth Motion -

I believe you might have made a mistake/typo in your description about smooth motion in this line:

I think you meant 29 fps at 60 Hz (or something to that effect).
I didn't make a typo actually, the use of the same source frame rate for both examples was very deliberate. You don't want to use smooth motion when the source frame rate almost equals the display's refresh rate but it is great when the display's refresh rate is much higher.

edit: That smooth motion works better for 24p into 60p than 23.976p into 24p is somewhat counter intuitive, and was the point of that example. I will change the rates to these simpler ones make this point better, even if 24p video is quite rare.
edit2: Hmm, I don't like using different source frame rates in that example for some reason, hopefully just using 24 Hz will help.

Quote:
A suggestion I had (because this really helped me when I read this in you guide) is related to:

enable automatic full screen exclusive mode -

In your guide you suggest turning this off which is actually very helpful as it allowed me to use the full media bar in full screen when hover over it with a mouse. It also removes any delay between switching between full and windowed. Perhaps you might want to mention that to some effect in your guide under the description of that mode.
I do suggest turning off exclusive mode, and I don't use it myself. I updated the description to stress the downsides a bit more. These posts aren't meant to be a guide but I do want people to understand the consequences of each option.

Quote:
Finally I had a question and was hoping you could explain what exactly "activate 200% super sampling" in image upscaling does? I have a decent rig (Nvidea GTX 960 GPU, i5 6600k OC @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB of RAM OC @ 3000MHz on a MSI Z170 M5 Motherboard) and yet saw a severe drop in performance when enabling that feature with no quality improvement. It was actually one of the rare times any setting change effected my video playback performance.
"activate 200% super sampling" doubles the image all the time, even if it doesn't need upscaling at all. Normally doubling will only trigger if it needs upscaling 1.2x or more.

For 1080p video even on a 1080p display this means that the video will be upscaled to 4K with the doubling algorithm, any image enhancements applied, and then downscaled to 1080. My Titan XP can barely do that with NGU very high.

Personally I don't find 200% supersampling very useful, it certainly isn't useful all the time. The only situation I would think might be useful was blurry but high res video you wanted to sharpen a lot. I tend to prefer sharpening done at higher resolutions and then downscaling but not everyone agrees with that.

edit: Thanks! I missed a description for 200% super sampling.

Last edited by Asmodian; 31st January 2017 at 06:28.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 20:14   #282  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
More Advanced Topics

My settings.bin (v0.91.5), optimized for the Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), Windows 10, and up to a 4K display. Profiles for SD, 720, 1080, UHD, and above. Simply restore madVR to default settings and place it in the madVR program directory. madVR should also have write access to its directory (e.g. not in "program files").

Hi, thanks for the config file.
My setup is Windows 10 + GTX1070 + i5 KabyLake + 16Gb DDR4 + TV UHD Samsung KS8000 + Denon X3300W.

I have to do a modification of the upscaling of 4K and 1080 because the video card reach 70°c and the GPU fans make too much noise.

Can you give me your support to configure at the best the settings for the 1080p and 4k profiles?

Thanks a lot
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 16:49   #283  |  Link
Asmodian

If temperature is a problem you might want to simply use the defaults, the high quality algorithms in madVR do use a lot of power. My Titan XP also runs hot with madVR, though it is water cooled so never goes above 40C.

That said, I would simply turn down the NGU quality for both chroma and image upscaling to reduce the power requirements. Also change the dithering to ordered for both profiles.

Edit: I should have mentioned that Jinc is a very nice all purpose algorithm. It is a great option if you want to keep temps down with a high end GPU while offering a significant improvement over the defaults.

Last edited by Asmodian; 3rd March 2017 at 08:52.
Old 19th March 2017, 05:58   #284  |  Link
Asmodian

Finally updated for madVR v0.91.7, sorry for the delay.

NGU Anti-aliasing, NGU Sharp quadrupling for all quality levels, and a new image upscaling settings page.

I have also updated my settings.bin file.
Old 19th March 2017, 14:56   #285  |  Link
cyber201

Thanks a lot....
You are great
Old 21st March 2017, 07:12   #286  |  Link
Kitty
Registered Cat

How does player "Vsync" affect MadVR?

I'm using MPC-BE, however I was curious what the "Vsync" option does and how it ties in with MadVR? Does it have any affect, since the player is using MadVR instead of it's internal renderer?

Also, if I'm using ReClock, how does it's "Vsync Correction" affect MadVR?
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:43   #287  |  Link
Asmodian

Sorry, I do not use MPC-BE at all and do not know how it's Vsync options interact with madVR.

I also don't use ReClock anymore, madVR's smooth motion is a better option for handling a mismatched Vsync. madVR does not seem to notice ReClock's Vsync correction so do not use it at the same time as smooth motion.
Old 24th March 2017, 00:15   #288  |  Link
Kitty
Registered Cat

Quote:
Sorry, I do not use MPC-BE at all and do not know how it's Vsync options interact with madVR.
Well, MPC-BE is just a fork of MPC-HC, but I don't know if you use MPC-HC either.

By the way, what media player are you using, and if applicable, are you using a separate audio renderer or just the internal one?
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 20:48   #289  |  Link
Asmodian

I use Zoom Player Max and its internal audio renderer.
Old 16th April 2017, 23:17   #290  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for madVR v0.91.8. NGU Soft and Standard got implemented.
Also improved quality for NGU Sharp 4x quadrupling at very high.

Last edited by Asmodian; 17th April 2017 at 00:14.
Old 19th April 2017, 16:43   #291  |  Link
cyber201

Yeahhh
Thanks a lot
Old 24th April 2017, 08:22   #292  |  Link
cyber201

Hi Asmodian, thanks for your work.
One question. How can I apply the best setup for this two parameters?

CPU queue size: [16] The buffer in system memory for decoded video and xySubFilter subtitles.
GPU queue size: [8] The buffer in the graphics memory for madVR’s rendering.

I have a i5-7600K CPU and a GTX 1070 for GPU

With your setitings, sometimes I have 5/10 dropped or represented frames. Why?
I have setup the medium quality for chroma ad upscaling for 1080 profile and low quality for 4K. But the problem of the dropped frames is the same.

Thanks a lot for your support.
Old 25th April 2017, 00:38   #293  |  Link
Asmodian

Normally some frames are dropped or have presentation glitches during seaking and startup, is this what you are seeing or do you get them during normal playback?

Queue sizes are a trade-off between responsiveness and stability, I tend to go for smaller queues like 12 CPU, 6 GPU and only 3 frames presented in advance for max responsiveness. My system is still very stable during playback, with no dropped frames or presentation glitches, but I do get a few frame drops and glitches on startup or when seaking.

I have noticed that Windowed Overlay is a little more stable than other modes, remember exclusive overwrites overlay.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:11   #294  |  Link
cyber201

I have this problem during normal playback.
When i found this option? Windows overlay?
Madvr is setup for exclusive mode

Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 14:02   #295  |  Link
Asmodian

Window overlay is on the same settings page as exclusive mode.

Do you have your GPU's power setting on Adaptive? Power optimized often clocks the GPU too low.

If you are using my settings file you probably need to lower some settings, the 1070 is a lot slower then the Titan.
Old 25th April 2017, 23:25   #296  |  Link
cyber201

Yes, I use your config file with a little downgrade in quality for the profile 1080 and 2160 due to my GTX1070.
My GPU power is set to Adaptive and now I have exclusive mode enable. For you i need to try overlay?

Thanks a lot
Old 25th April 2017, 23:43   #297  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, try overlay if you are still having issues. You need to turn off exclusive and DX11 for overlay to work.
Old 26th April 2017, 16:01   #298  |  Link
cyber201

If i enable only windows overlay, the screen is all green.
Now I have enable exclusive and dx11.
With this settings, the hdr metadata and the other features of madvr are processed correctly?

And if i disable the DX11, into the video, when i press CTRL+J, madvr show 8bit winodowed mode instead 10bit
Old 27th April 2017, 00:40   #299  |  Link
Asmodian

Ouch! Are you using native dxva2 decoding? Is it an Optimus system?

If you want 10-bit for some reason you have to use DX11 and exclusive mode.

madVR currently does not support sending HDR meta data and it doesn't​ matter what mode you use, HDR is always handled the same way.
Old 27th April 2017, 01:25   #300  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
madVR currently does not support sending HDR meta data and it doesn't​ matter what mode you use, HDR is always handled the same way.
Actually, that was added in v0.91.9. It can now send HDR metadata through two different methods, the NVIDIA API, which works on all OSes and with any rendering mode (but requires an NVIDIA GPU, obviously), and the Windows 10 API, which requires Windows 10 creators update and DX11 presentation mode.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 27th April 2017 at 01:35.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote