Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 16th December 2015, 23:41   #1  |  Link
shekh

Deep color VFW & QT codecs

This thread was about what is possible to do to make cineform working with virtualdub in better than 8 bit modes. Started here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...98#post1717198

With ffmpeg everything works, no problem there.
The problem with cineform, I would ideally use direct api, but the problem is: it is licensed.
The other option is vfw driver, but it is limited in supported formats. I know it can pass v210, but afaik nothing better than that. If it supported at least something like normal 16bit planar or interleaved yuv I would deal with it, but v210 does not make me excited.

Last edited by shekh; 26th December 2015 at 22:27. Reason: lost context after split
shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 00:09   #2  |  Link
kolak

Yes, Cinefrom offers many pixel formats with API.

Does this help?

https://twitter.com/cineformsdk
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 10:47   #3  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Yes, Cinefrom offers many pixel formats with API.

Does this help?

https://twitter.com/cineformsdk
Yes, I know this. I made some basic sdk integration into input driver. I put source code on sourceforge but removed this capability from compiled version. (If anyone wants to know here is place to look: https://sourceforge.net/p/vdcachingd...e/cineform.cpp)

There is a bunch of non-technical problems.
With trial license cineform sdk is fully functional, but the trial key expires yearly and who knows, will they make another one for 2016? In any case, as there is no terms of use for sdk, I am quite sure it means "dont do that". I asked cineform to clarify but had no reply.
Old 19th December 2015, 21:37   #4  |  Link
kolak

What if you install GoPro Studio app? This gives some free Cineform encoding, maybe it will work.
Other than this- Cineform is not free, so you can't "give it" for everyone for free. As far as I know Cineform checks for "global" license, so you can make some solution which supports it and than it's up to end user to add license. This is how it works with eg. Resolve.

Last edited by kolak; 19th December 2015 at 21:40.
Old 20th December 2015, 01:19   #5  |  Link
shekh

Sure, I have GoPro Studio installed. This is how I have access to "free" codec, played with vfw interface and sdk interface. Btw, found from some of your older messages that it has directshow interface as well. Tried to investigate codecs with graphedit but it does not show format options.

Quote:
Other than this- Cineform is not free, so you can't "give it" for everyone for free. As far as I know Cineform checks for "global" license, so you can make some solution which supports it and than it's up to end user to add license.
I think licenses are gone since Cineform does not sell anything now on their website. Do you have "global cineform license"? Do you know how to get it? I suspect if Resolve has Cineform integration, that is result of some agreement with GoPro. And this provides no new opportunity for third party.

Meanwhile, checking GrassValley HQX codec. It is handy that ffmpeg can decode it (not as fast as native decoder, but anyway). Image has DCT artifacts. Decoding speed about 1/3 of Cineform. Will see what else it can do.
Old 20th December 2015, 14:15   #6  |  Link
kolak

Resolve won't export Cineform if you don't add "license" (or at least it didn't use to). Integration is there, but codec is not activated. This is what I'm talking about.
Old days you could add native Cineform support to your product. Than if user wanted to use it he had to buy Cineform license and activate it. By doing this license was enabled to your whole machine. Maybe it has changed.
HQX is ok, but not multithreaded. It only works very fast inside Edius (codec itself is single threaded).

I own Cineform license, but don't need it.

Last edited by kolak; 20th December 2015 at 14:17.
Old 20th December 2015, 19:14   #7  |  Link
aladdin4d

According to a post in this thread by David Newman usage of Cineform is now effectively free as long as GoPro Studio is installed and third party tools are the way of the future as far as encoding goes

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...nal-users.html

I think that means you can roll your own solution. Whether or not that translates into being able to freely use the SDK is obviously another issue but in theory (understand I'm definitely not a programmer of any sort) as long as the encoder is getting the data in a way it accepts it should work as long as GoPro Studio is installed.

Later on in that thread he mentions the SMPTE VC-5 package comes with reference source code to implement an encoder/decoder pair which again indicates there shouldn't be a problem with an independent solution.

Grass Valley HQX is ok but AFAIK deep color support is limited only for use in Edius and truncated to 8 bit when the codec is accessed by any other app.
aladdin4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 19:53   #8  |  Link
shekh

After some investigation I confirm that HQX vfw codec can only accept data in 8 bit format.

About SMPTE VC-5, right now I dont think it is useful. AFAIK the specification is based on cineform, but is not specification of cineform. Even if the reference code works, who will optimize it? There is already jpeg2k which is loose reference of what cineform is. The problem is - it is slow. Unfortunately I am not inspired enough to purchase SMPTE subscription to make a closer look
Old 20th December 2015, 21:07   #9  |  Link
aladdin4d

Standardizing through SMPTE is a 2-way street so they are pretty much one and the same now just like DNxHD is VC-3. Avid could have just added to DNxHD but that would've meant no longer being VC-3 compliant so you get DNxHR. It's the same with Cineform, it can change but then it won't be able to claim VC-5 compliance. The only real difference at the moment is VC-5 does not allow for interlaced encoding which is why it's being deprecated by Cineform, to maintain compliance.

If and when I can confirm that this:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/artic...Number:7290349)

really does include the reference code and test materials I'll seriously consider getting it. It's $120.00 US for non IEEE members which isn't too outrageous
Old 21st December 2015, 00:47   #10  |  Link
kolak

HQX 10bit is supported in MOV through v210. b64a and r4fl pixel formats seams to be also supported.
Another thing- good luck with trying to get access to Grass Valley SDK. It seams to be impossible, even if such a thing does exist.
Old 21st December 2015, 10:09   #11  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladdin4d View Post
If and when I can confirm that this really does include the reference code and test materials I'll seriously consider getting it. It's $120.00 US for non IEEE members which isn't too outrageous
But you said you are not a programmer, what would you do with it?
Btw, is it allowed to include such reference code in open source?
Old 21st December 2015, 15:20   #12  |  Link
aladdin4d

Quote:
HQX 10bit is supported in MOV through v210. b64a and r4fl pixel formats seams to be also supported.
Another thing- good luck with trying to get access to Grass Valley SDK. It seams to be impossible, even if such a thing does exist.
This is true but all that functionality is limited to Edius only, no third party access and no SDK for third party use.
Old 21st December 2015, 15:47   #13  |  Link
aladdin4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
But you said you are not a programmer, what would you do with it?
Btw, is it allowed to include such reference code in open source?
You're right I'm not a programmer but I can generally get something to compile so I should end up with an encoder/decoder pair and some other simple utilities. On top of that I do know a programmer or two that I might be able to draft into helping me or worst case I eventually pay one.

I believe the license only allows for a binary to be distributed, not the source but that's a question that would be definitively answered by the materials
Old 21st December 2015, 21:16   #14  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
This is true but all that functionality is limited to Edius only, no third party access and no SDK for third party use.
No- it works with Adobe software. You can export HQX at 10bit from Premiere, AE or MediaEncoder. You just have to modify Adobe xml rules file. Any other tool which can push specific pixel format to MOV exporter will also work.
Old 22nd December 2015, 05:02   #15  |  Link
aladdin4d

Quote:
No- it works with Adobe software. You can export HQX at 10bit from Premiere, AE or MediaEncoder. You just have to modify Adobe xml rules file. Any other tool which can push specific pixel format to MOV exporter will also work.
If Adobe products can do that then great for you they must have cut a deal with Grass Valley because the codecs alone do not allow that without an active license. They allow reading 10 bit files but you can't encode 10 bit files. I've tested this a few times now by moving my Edius license across three different machines. When Edius is installed and activated then yes third party apps can encode 10 bit files but remove Edius then it's back to 8 bit only.
Old 22nd December 2015, 20:40   #16  |  Link
kolak

Not sure if you are up to date, but GV codec are free now: decoding and encoding on PC and Mac. Lack 10bit support in avi is more about VFW/diretchsow problems with high bit depths support than licensing etc. It works with MOV without any restrictions. 8/10bit in HQX has nothing to do with licensing at all. For long time GV codecs were not free and you couldn't encode if machine did not have Edius license, but this changed some time ago. It's not possible to encode HQX at 10bit outside Edius as VFW/directshow modules provided by GV have no 10bit pixel format on input (e.g. like Cineform, which at least accepts v210 pixel format). MOV version does as high depth pixel formats are more common and standardised in QT.

Last edited by kolak; 22nd December 2015 at 20:47.
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:03   #17  |  Link
shekh

Does the same (b64a via quicktime) work with cineform? Just found CFHDCodec.qtx on my machine, so at least the component exist.
Old 23rd December 2015, 04:03   #18  |  Link
aladdin4d

Quote:
Not sure if you are up to date, but GV codec are free now: decoding and encoding on PC and Mac. Lack 10bit support in avi is more about VFW/diretchsow problems with high bit depths support than licensing etc. It works with MOV without any restrictions. 8/10bit in HQX has nothing to do with licensing at all. For long time GV codecs were not free and you couldn't encode if machine did not have Edius license, but this changed some time ago. It's not possible to encode HQX at 10bit outside Edius as VFW/directshow modules provided by GV have no 10bit pixel format on input (e.g. like Cineform, which at least accepts v210 pixel format). MOV version does as high depth pixel formats are more common and standardised in QT.
Not out of date at all. The Grass Valley codecs come with a license manager and unless an authorized app shows up in the license manager 10 bit encoding fails every time in every app AVI or MOV period. When an authorized app like Edius is detected then Presto! 10 bit encoding is miraculously enabled. If Adobe products are authorized then as I said Good For You but that is not a universal experience.
Old 23rd December 2015, 13:26   #19  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
You're right I'm not a programmer but I can generally get something to compile so I should end up with an encoder/decoder pair and some other simple utilities. On top of that I do know a programmer or two that I might be able to draft into helping me or worst case I eventually pay one.
Please share your experience when you make progress with this.
Old 23rd December 2015, 23:14   #20  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Not out of date at all. The Grass Valley codecs come with a license manager and unless an authorized app shows up in the license manager 10 bit encoding fails every time in every app AVI or MOV period. When an authorized app like Edius is detected then Presto! 10 bit encoding is miraculously enabled. If Adobe products are authorized then as I said Good For You but that is not a universal experience.
It's Edius' license manager and codecs license manager. Not idea what are you talking about.

So can you explain me how come I can encode HQX files at 10bit on Mac?
Can you also tell me how you encode 10bit HQX AVI outside Edius if none of the components have any 8bit+ pixel format on input (or output)?
Sorry, your claims are outdated:

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/hqx_codec

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/38616

It's not my "special" experience with HQX and Adobe, but current reality Try yourself

Last edited by kolak; 23rd December 2015 at 23:18.