Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 24th April 2022, 22:16   #61  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
For direct input, I used demuxer lavf , src was prores file . If your binary does not have high bit depth support you won't get that "resize [warning]: converting from yuv422p10le to yuv422p16le"
About the "resize warning", I deal with 10bit and 12bit sources all the time and I find it a bit annoying to go to 16bit planar every time in Avisynth only for x264 to then use the Sierra A2-4 error diffusion dithering to go back to 10bit planar...

Sometimes I get 10bit sources I don't have to apply any post processing to 'cause they're already fine and I'd just like to encode them to 10bit H.264, so going from 10bit planar to 16bit and then back to 10bit is a bit of a waste.
I just wish x264 supported all Avisynth high bit depth input (10bit, 12bit, 14bit) and not just 8bit and 16bit...
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2022, 23:43   #62  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
About the "resize warning", I deal with 10bit and 12bit sources all the time and I find it a bit annoying to go to 16bit planar every time in Avisynth only for x264 to then use the Sierra A2-4 error diffusion dithering to go back to 10bit planar...

Sometimes I get 10bit sources I don't have to apply any post processing to 'cause they're already fine and I'd just like to encode them to 10bit H.264, so going from 10bit planar to 16bit and then back to 10bit is a bit of a waste.
I just wish x264 supported all Avisynth high bit depth input (10bit, 12bit, 14bit) and not just 8bit and 16bit...

I think it's because of the old avs demuxer, where pixel formats such as yuv422p10 were not supported...I would think it should be possible to update it...

Or if you use avs to raw pipe, or ffmpeg libx264 with avs input - there is no up/down conversion
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2022, 22:09   #63  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
Thank you! Using qp 0 and not crf did the trick! I can also see now that fullhelp states that qp 0 is the switch for lossless mode. But its a bit strange though as it seems like the encoder recognize crf 0 as lossless mode in some combinations.
No, 8 bit is always lossless with crf 0. It is just that profile high10 is in by itself not lossless so crf 0 for high10 is also not lossless, you need to force high444 [predictive] to do 10 bit lossless and that is what qp 0 does.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:44   #64  |  Link
rwill

"No, 10 bit is always lossless with crf -12.0"
rwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2022, 20:35   #65  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwill View Post
"No, 10 bit is always lossless with crf -12.0"
Ffmpeg converted those (+12 for all of them). So no, -12 is not allowed. So no the problem is high10 does not support lossless, by design of x264 or by the spec.

Last edited by Balling; 10th June 2022 at 02:36.
Old 22nd September 2022, 20:57   #66  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwill View Post
If you had actually understood the paper you are referencing you would have seen that the SCC extensions only work well with screen content like flat areas and text. The paper you referenced even shows clearly that there no gain for the video content like computer animation or camera captured content (normal video content this thread is about?).

SCC tools are completely useless except for screen content. It is very strong in video conferencing though. What you did is like saying PNG performs higher than JPEG.

CABAC is the entropy coder by the way, not a tool like SCC, you compared an Apple with an Orange.

Are you just typing words in google and use some GPT3 model to generate these forum posts ?
I am pretty sure I am not GPT3, thank you very much, though I did test that 4chan model, model that was banned everywhere, nice one. SCC is a profile, just like HIGH 10 and predictive, which you would know if you looked into not yet merged decoding patches for ffmpeg. PNG does indeed perfom much better, smaller size, for screenshots on my phone, because vector graphics and when there is no crazy color subpixel rendering, like in google drive pdf app, e.g. and anyway, the support is not yet added into overoptimised x265, so there is no way to say whether it will be better for camera images, I saw that YUV is indeed 0% better for lossless and even slightly worse for lossy. What I think you completly missed is it is much better for RGB camera captured, lossy not lossless. That is one of key moments why AV1 is better for RGB.

Last edited by Balling; 22nd September 2022 at 21:02.