Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th February 2011, 14:28   #61  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
...I could perhaps check if the entry that is modified is called by some VM commands, and if it's the case, offer to abort the change, or display the list of calling commands...

I will check my code to see if it's not too difficult to do...
I fully agree on the points of your detailed analysis. The solution just quoted would be perfect, if feasible!

The reason for the request emerged exactely after the editing of some existing menus, in the attempt to integrate other menus into the original layout...

Cheers,
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 20:00   #62  |  Link
ministrix

hey!
I got a problem with a new asian Disney dvd. It contains 99 titles ( 99 problems and a bitch aint one, [sorry for my little jay-z reference, hehe...] ) and 34 vts. The whole thing is just a mess and i would like to just keep the movie on the disc, but pgcedit and vobblanker can only do so much. Im still left with a dvd with plenty of uncalled pgc's. Do you have any advice to what to do with these uncalled pgc's? Ive already blank't the vobs with vobblanker but pgcedit cant remove them some how, and vobblanker cant either.
Btw! Thanks for a great little program. I've been using it alot for several years and its really good
ministrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 00:02   #63  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Usually, Disney/ARccOS/RipGuard protected DVDs (the same crap anyway) are protected with unreadable sectors in the main movie (skipped by cell commands) and a lot of fake titles/VTSses. In the beginning, the fake titles were unreferenced, but it was too easy to remove them (with a logic similar to PgcEdit's Delete Uncalled PGCs). Therefore, now, they are referenced by fake menus. The fake menus are short menus with buttons and a black background. Since the playback duration is extremely short and there is nothing shown (except a black image) when the menu is played, the user has no chance to select a button, and the playback continues. (More on this below). But the ripper programs are supposed to "think" that those menus are real menus, and as a consequence, they "think" that the fake VTSses can really be called, ans they cannot decide if it is safe to remove them.

So, to help PgcEdit, you have to remove the fake menus yourself, to make the fake titles unreferenced. It's relatively easy. There is usually one or several short menus in the VMGM, and sometimes also some fake menus in a VTSM domain. The fake menus are blank (without video content except a black frame) and short (say, less than 2 seconds). They contain many buttons (perhaps 10), but as I have explained above, none of them can be selected manually, due to the short duration of the playback. Now, there can be two scenarios:

1. the menu is played normally, and no button is selected. (In that case, the cell still time of the menu is 0.) That means that the menu is played normally until it ends, and the post-commands are executed.

2. There is a "forced button" that is automatically activated after a short time. In that case, the command of the forced button is executed before the post-commands, and it leads to a totally different title than the post-commands.

So, to get rid of the fake menus, locate them with the preview, the menu viewer, or with the trace. When you have located a blank menu, open it in the menu editor. Be sure to tick the "advanced" option in the bottom of the window. Look at the option "In non-still menu, force the activation of button <button number> after <duration> seconds". If the <duration> parameter is -1, you are in scenario 1. Otherwise, you are in scenario 2, and you have to remember the button number. Quit the editor.

Now, use Kill PGC Playback on the PGC containing the fake menu. PgcEdit will show you again the menu viewer, where you can select a button. In the case of scenario 1, simply click "No button!". In the case of scenario 2, select the button number you have noted, and click Kill Playback. In both cases, PgcEdit should kill the menu, but the command it will insert in the pre-commands area are different. (BTW, don't be scared by warnings about multiple sets of buttons. They are fake too!)

Be sure to repeat this procedure if there are other fake menus elsewhere.

After that, it is usually better to process the menu domains that you have modified with FixVTS, just to get rid of the fake menus completely (and suppress the PgcEdit warning about multiple sets of buttons).

Now, PgcEdit should be able to detect the fake titles. You can check them with Info -> Find Uncalled PGCs, and delete them with DVD -> Delete Uncalled Titlesets followed by Delete Uncalled PGCs. (Delete Uncalled Titlesets is not really necessary, but it is much faster than Delete Uncalled PGCs, so I recommend to use it before Delete Uncalled PGCs. Or just call DVD -> Remove Useless Stuff, that will call that functions in the process, in the right order.)

If everything worked as expected, you should have an (almost) clean DVD with just the main movie and the other really useful titles. The main movie (and sometimes other titles as well) are still protected by unreadable cells, but if you managed to copy the DVD on your hard disc, that should not be a real problem. It is also possible to remove them, but that's another story.

[EDIT] I forgot to say that if the ripper program did its work correctly, it should have copied large VOB files only for the VTS that contains really the main movie. The fake VTSses should have no VOB files at all, or very short VOBs. So, you can verify if the title that remains called after having checked the result of your edits with Info -> Find Uncalled PGCs is in the VTS with the large VOB files. If it's not the case, then you did something wrong, or the ripper has failed.

Last edited by r0lZ; 31st August 2011 at 00:12.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:17   #64  |  Link
ministrix

Thanks for reply but it seems like that isnt the problem on this. Ive checked all the 14k size vts. Theyre only one cell vobs ( showing the menu buttons in pgcedit just says no buttons ). Ive been fiddling around and changed stuff and set first play to jump right to menu. That got rid of a whole deal of uncalled pgcs when i cleaned it afterwards with remove useless stuff. Now Im left with menu plus movie and some useless vts ( i got rid of plenty but still some left). It will take some careful editing to get them out, but hopefully it will be fine. Need to edit some cmds in menu too since scene selection dont work.
And regarding ripping program I had some troubles here. Dvd decrypter and Anydvd didnt rip it right. It seems like the movie vobs where copied in other vts and i ended up with a VIDEO_TS folder the size of 65 gigs. hehe. But dvdfab did the job right.
ministrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:34   #65  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministrix View Post
It seems like the movie vobs where copied in other vts and i ended up with a VIDEO_TS folder the size of 65 gigs. hehe.
That's exactly what that kind of protection is supposed to do! Interminable rip with a lot of useless redundant files.

DVDFab is a good program to eliminate the useless VOB files, but I'm not sure it can remove the useless VTSses from the IFOs. It has probably removed the fake menus automatically. (I have never seen a DVD with many fake VTSses but without the fake menus. But I rip all DVDs with DVD Decrypter, and I decide myself what VOB files must be ripped, and how. So, I ends up always with (almost) unmodified IFOs on my hard disc, and I have to clean them manually with the method explained above.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 2nd September 2011 at 11:38.
Old 25th November 2011, 00:27   #66  |  Link
IVaN_000

I might have found a bug in v9.3.

I have a VMGM with 273 PGCs (it's a Disney DVD). PgcEdit labels the last PGC as '<uncalled>', but the are 2 "(JumpSS) Jump to VMGM PGC 273" commands in the DVD. Both commands are shown with white background (not purple), and tracing the DVD they are successfully executed. If "Remove useless stuff" is called, PGC 273 is deleted, and those 2 commands become jumps to nowhere, and the tracing obviously halts when it reachs one of them.

I also noticed that clicking the command "(JumpSS) Jump to VMGM PGC 273" in the right panel, the left panel highlights in light blue the PGC 17, instead of the 273.

Maybe you can recreate a similar structure to test it. Or I can send you the IFOs.

EDIT: I should add that this is the first time I experience that behaviour, after editing hundreds of DVDs. It's really strange, probably some kind of copy protection? It's Disney's "Prep & Landing", ripped twice with 2 different versions of DVDFab.

EDIT 2:

[30 06 00 11 00 C0 00 00] (JumpSS) Jump to VMGM PGC 17
[30 06 01 11 00 C0 00 00] (JumpSS) Jump to VMGM PGC 273

Notice how those 2 commands differ in one bit only. Apparently PgcEdit (just in some cases) makes an incorrect interpretation of the destiny PGC if it's bigger than 255.

Last edited by IVaN_000; 25th November 2011 at 02:47.
IVaN_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 07:25   #67  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVaN_000 View Post
Notice how those 2 commands differ in one bit only. Apparently PgcEdit (just in some cases) makes an incorrect interpretation of the destiny PGC if it's bigger than 255.
Right. That's probably the cause of the bug. I will have a look. Thanks for reporting it!
Old 25th November 2011, 07:57   #68  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Bug confirmed and fixed. Thanks again IVaN_000.
Old 8th December 2011, 03:25   #69  |  Link
IVaN_000

Probably another bug, or just a bad DVD authoring: I'm sending you a PM with a link of a DVD I've just uploaded. I blanked the movie, so it's just the menues. If you have the time, please take a look at it.

When I execute "Remove useless stuff" on that DVD, the buttons of VTSM 2 PGC 6 just disappear. They shouldn't, and I have no idea why that happens.

Last edited by IVaN_000; 8th December 2011 at 03:37.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:19   #70  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Right! You've found another big bug!

The bug occurs when Delete All Dead Menu Buttons is called (from Remove Useless Stuff or directly). That function checks if the duration of the cell is too short (less than 1 second) to activate a button manually. (It checks also some other things, such as the presence of a still time or if a button is auto-activated, but in the case of your DVD it's not the case, so only the duration is taken into account.) When all tests are finished and the conclusion is that it is not possible (or too difficult) to activate a button, the buttons are removed.

But there is an error in my code: the duration of the first cell is always checked, instead of the duration of the cell containing the buttons. Since in your case, the first cell is a short black cell, the buttons are removed in cell 2!

I have fixed the bug. Currently, as a workaround, you can untick the option to remove the dead buttons in the Remove Useless Stuff GUI, or you can add a cell still time to cell 2 of the PGC, execute Remove Useless Stuff or Delete All Dead Menu Buttons, and remove the still time.

Thanks for the bug report!
Old 9th December 2011, 23:30   #71  |  Link
jinjin_jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Bug confirmed and fixed. Thanks again IVaN_000.
Quote:
I have fixed the bug.
Hi r0lZ,
Is fixed version in somewhere?

It seems to be "The current PgcEdit version is 9.3 (March 22, 2010) " in http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/#current.

Regards.
jinjin_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 23:36   #72  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, v9.3 is still the current version, sorry. I'll try to finalize v9.4 soon...
Old 10th December 2011, 02:17   #73  |  Link
jinjin_jp

Quote:
Yes, v9.3 is still the current version, sorry. I'll try to finalize v9.4 soon...
I see.
Thanks very much.

May I ask another quesion?
There are several kinds of cloured lines in main window.
I suppose it is something wrong.
The explanation what means each colour is in somewhere?

Regards.
Old 10th December 2011, 02:30   #74  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yellow lines are GoTo targets.

Purple lines are "dead commands": commands that cannot be executed due to jumps, links or GoTos. They are useless and can safely be deleted.

Red lines are commands with errors (illegal parameter, jumps to non-existing VTS, PGC, PTT, PG or Cell, too many commands in the PGC...)

Additionally, when you click a GoTo, its target is briefly highlighted in light blue.

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th December 2011 at 02:32.
Old 10th December 2011, 03:41   #75  |  Link
jinjin_jp

Quote:
Yellow lines are GoTo targets.

Purple lines are "dead commands": commands that cannot be executed due to jumps, links or GoTos. They are useless and can safely be deleted.

Red lines are commands with errors (illegal parameter, jumps to non-existing VTS, PGC, PTT, PG or Cell, too many commands in the PGC...)

Additionally, when you click a GoTo, its target is briefly highlighted in light blue.
Thanks very much for the explanation.

Regards.
Old 10th December 2011, 22:04   #76  |  Link
IVaN_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjin_jp View Post
Hi r0lZ,
Is fixed version in somewhere?

It seems to be "The current PgcEdit version is 9.3 (March 22, 2010) " in http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/#current.

Regards.
I would continue using v9.3 without worrying. You'll notice those 2 bugs only in VERY rare situations.
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:34   #77  |  Link
s_i

I was successful in importing 50 VTS in PGCEdit each containing 2,000 menus. But thereafter when I try to import 51st VTS, PGCEdit crashes while scanning all the VTS for menu button starting from 1. It says PGCEdit has stopped working. Is there any version of PGCEdit which can support importing large number of menus, say about 2,50,000, successfully? Are there any limitations on the number of menus PGCEdit can import successfully per VTS? I am using Windows 7 64 bit OS having 8GB RAM. I am using version 9.3.
s_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:55   #78  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Not sure why it crashes. Maybe simply before it is out of memory. Anyway, there is no hardcoded limitations in PgcEdit, except the limitations imposed by the DVD-Video specs. You can theoretically have up to 99 VTS.

If you wish, upload your files somewhere, and write me. I'll try to load them here (I have also Win7 x64), and if I can reproduce the problem, I will try to fix it. You can find my email address here.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:50   #79  |  Link
s_i

I have dropped a mail to you. Thanks for your quick response
s_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:55   #80  |  Link
skaleton

Hi,
I seem to have an issue with the "Replace VTST Titles" function.
Whenever I author a title, mostly to add a custom subtitle, I use that function. Then I test it with PowerDvd and MPC-HC and when it's done (and it's really important for me) in my standalone player.
Now I just found out that VLC 2.0.2 Twoflower didn't agree with it (maybe Rincewind might have worked better and I don't know about older versions). And I thought that VLC could be fed almost anything.
VLC plays the original DVD just fine but crashes with the re-authored DVD.
As an alternative, I used VobBlanker to replace the authored title and VLC had no problem playing the new DVD.
I thought it might have to do with that particular DVD, adding an English Subtitle into a French DVD, you know, but then I just did the same to a German DVD, with the same result; PgcEdit didn't work whereas VobBlanker did.
I don't mind using VobBlanker but whenever possible I prefer PgcEdit.
Did anyone experience the same problem? Is there a solution?
Looking forward to your reply

PgcEdit 9.3, Windows Vista x64
Title authored with PgcDemux and Muxman
skaleton is offline   Reply With Quote