Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > DV

Old 10th October 2010, 05:16   #121  |  Link
um3k

I gave a brief walkthrough on how to use CapDVHS ages ago on the HV20 forums: http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?6...hlight=capdvhs

On a side note, I've never actually had the need to print back to tape. I just like finding solutions to imaginary problems, I guess.
um3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 05:12   #122  |  Link
Undead Sega

Ahhh yes um3k, I remember you too on HV20.com, so great to see familiar people around here

With the link you have provided, I believe I have came across it not too long ago myself, however even with some research done on the same topic alot of people do mention these two tools. I would like to ask, the HDV files are M2T files, in each of these individual files which are captured and seperated by HDVSplit, is the metadata embedded in the files themselves? or as a seperate and hidden file within the tape inwhich the application would read the timecode and know where each shot starts and ends?

By any chance if its the former, if one was use CapDVHS, would it retain the metadata exactly (more or less putting the file onto tape), therefore if one was to capture again it would know how to split the file?
Undead Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 14:54   #123  |  Link
2Bdecided

The m2t files are MPEG-2 transport streams. They contain all the data that was on the tape - audio, video, metadata.

HDVsplit uses the date metadata to generate the file names, but it's still there within the files themselves.

If I was you, I'd go and experiment myself!

This tool might help...
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/HDV_Data_Monitor

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 00:21   #124  |  Link
Undead Sega

Indeed I will have a go

However now I would like to ask, by some serious mishap on some recordings the Timecode got broken. Is there by any chance or way to repair the broken Timecode or make it continous throughout the tape but keeping the rest of the metadata untouched?
Undead Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 00:32   #125  |  Link
adrien23

I have the Canon Vixia HV40 high definition tape-based camcorder and have no problem having HDVSplit recognize my camcorder. The capture also works without issue.

However, when I look at the timecode of the outputted files, the numbers do not make any sense.

I am using the "Date and time" option with the following format:

-%Y_%M_%D-%h_%m_%s

I am capturing a tape and the file name hour posiition starts at 16, rather than 0. The minutes and seconds don't seem to correspond at all to the actual time code (and the program itself was fine in terms of detecting my camera and being able to capture and rewind, etc.)

Did you have this problem?

DavidPsychiatristPilot-2011_05_14-16_16_33

The date is fine; but the hour is at 16 when it should be zero. The minutes is already up to 16 minutes when it's only a few minutes in.

Even if I ignore the 16 mark, the rest of the timecode doesn't make sense so there's no adjustment I can do (eg. set it back 6 minutes and then it's correct) for it to make sense.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
adrien23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 02:15   #126  |  Link
um3k

The time HDVSplit uses is the time of day the footage was shot, assuming the time is set correctly in-camera.
um3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:05   #127  |  Link
adrien23

@um3k

Oh I see. Okay, I was thinking it would use the timecode of the tape, which would be very convenient because then if you've logged footage on paper, you could refer to split clips depending on the timecode. I hope that's eventually an option!

Thanks for the clarification!
adrien23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:07   #128  |  Link
2Bdecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien23 View Post
@um3k

Oh I see. Okay, I was thinking it would use the timecode of the tape, which would be very convenient because then if you've logged footage on paper, you could refer to split clips depending on the timecode. I hope that's eventually an option!
I wouldn't have thought so - HDVsplit hasn't been updated in years.

You could write down the time, rather than the timecode, on your piece of paper

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 16:48   #129  |  Link
CAFxX
Stray Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
I wouldn't have thought so - HDVsplit hasn't been updated in years.
It could be an option if the author released the sources... unfortunately he never replied to my mails.
Old 30th June 2011, 13:42   #130  |  Link
Yellow_

Not an ideal solution for Windows users necessarily, but dvgrab (Open Source CLI) will write timecode and or time of day into the file name when it grabs, also autosplits, supports avi Type 1 and 2 and OpenDML. Captures DV and HDV.

It's Linux only BUT I wasted 2 hours trying to get HDVSplit to work on 64bit Windows 7 the other day and gave up, no problem detecting the camera in Windows itself just wouldn't detect and capture in HDVSplit.

So booted up a Ubuntu Natty Narwal Live CD, changed the Repositories to Multiverse in Synaptic, installed DV Grab through Synaptic, check commandline ops with dvgrab --help and I was away capturing within 15minutes, writing the files to the Windows formatted ntfs drive. Captured loads of tapes through the day, rebooted and played them all through in Windows Media Player after, no problem with compatibility.

Thought I'd just mention it in case any one has similar problems.

Last edited by Yellow_; 30th June 2011 at 13:44.
Yellow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 16:19   #131  |  Link
caisersousa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
Paviko, any chance of HDVSplit being able to capture one frame at a time from cameras? For stop motion purposes. Such as, each time you click a button a frame will be recorded. Thanks.
I know that this project isn't updated for a long time but someone know how I can capture a single frame (in .tiff for example) every time I click a button?

Software like StopMotion Pro or Dragon Frame do this but too slowly (2 or 3 seconds pass between two consecutive acquires). I need to acquire still image at a frequency not below 5 fps.

caisersousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 09:45   #132  |  Link
Gargamel

Maybe CaptureFlux, by Paul Glagla ?
It has a image by image mode, when you click on a "Grab!" button, or through an intervalometer...
But in the DV world only.

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/captureflux_en.htm
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 14:27   #133  |  Link
caisersousa

Thanks Garagamel. Unfortunately captureFlux works only for DV
caisersousa is offline   Reply With Quote