Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th March 2021, 09:05   #1  |  Link
DailyLama72

MADVR: stutter/judder with "Use Direct3D 11 for presentation"

Megamix-LAVFilters-0.74.1-92-x64
Player: MPC (from this package)
Projector: Epson EH-TW 9200

I finally exchanged my trusty old computer with an 11 year old Intel Core 760 and Nvidia 1070 to a brand new AMD 5800X and a RTX 3080.
The old computer used MADVR like a charm (NGU Sharp High), while of course had massive problems with downscaling or high performance settings. Still 23.976, 25/50 and 30/60 were butter smooth.

With my new computer I used the same settings and wanted to go o from there. While the CPU was almost idle at 5% and the GPU at 30%, I had massive stutter in 23.976.
No problems in 25/50 or 30/60.

In the end I turned off every "trade quality for performance" option and went crazy with NGU Anti-Alias or Sharp in the highest setting. The CPU is still bored at 15%, the picture quality is fantastic, but still stuttering with 23.976.

The stutter is like this: some seconds super smooth, suddenly it stutters. Again super smooth, then some stutter. With stutter I mean that eg smoke or water is looking like 10-15 FPS, (mostly horizontal) scrolling ist like 10-15 FPS.
No frame drop or any other problem can be seen with crtl+J. Also the display and source are almost completely in sync.

Since this happened only with MADVR as renderer, I tried all settings one by one until I found the source:

I had to turn off Rendering -> Generals Settings -> Use Direct3D 11 for presentation.
Finally it's smooth like butter again in 23.976 (and 30/60 and 25/50 still as it was before).

Hopefully I can help someone else here with my findings.

Still my question: why is this happening?
DailyLama72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2021, 13:47   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

Did you set "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to 1?

It is a well known issue with current drivers and GPUs in the recent Windows 10s, but 1 frame presented in advance should solve it.
Old 8th March 2021, 16:39   #3  |  Link
DailyLama72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Did you set "how many video frames shall be presented in advance" to 1?

It is a well known issue with current drivers and GPUs in the recent Windows 10s, but 1 frame presented in advance should solve it.

I will look into that, thank you!
DailyLama72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2021, 22:08   #4  |  Link
HillieSan

MadVR works fine on my RTX 3060, but I had to set Vsync to ON in the NVidia driver 3D properties.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote