Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd May 2018, 12:43   #521  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

I really oughta stop taking RCA & Deringer for granted because even RCA@1 fails on grainy 720p@1080p, I guess grain means that I must A/B RCA beforehand.

I see that there are hotkeys for debander and deringer but not RCA apparently?

And still no hotkey to open the mVR config panel directly huh? Only option is to call madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettingsDontWait then I guess?

Last edited by leeperry; 2nd May 2018 at 12:46.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:32   #522  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I really oughta stop taking RCA & Deringer for granted because even RCA@1 fails on grainy 720p@1080p, I guess grain means that I must A/B RCA beforehand.

I see that there are hotkeys for debander and deringer but not RCA apparently?

And still no hotkey to open the mVR config panel directly huh? Only option is to call madHcCtrl.exe editLocalSettingsDontWait then I guess?
Ctrl + S opens the control panel.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 04:14   #523  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

settings.bin
madVR's settings can be backed up or shared via a settings.bin file. My settings are optimized for the Nvidia 1080 Ti / Titan X (Pascal), Windows 10, and on my LG OLED55C7P 4K TV with profiles for SD, 720, 1080, UHD, and above. 3D is disabled. I use Max Quality but even the Heater settings.bin should never have dropped frames due to GPU performance if used with an overclocked 1080 Ti or better. Note that "low" still requires a decent GPU.

To use simply restore madVR to default settings and place the file in the madVR program directory. madVR will automatically create or update the file with new settings madVR if it has write access to its directory (e.g. not in "program files"). madVR will still use the registry to store these settings, along with any changes, without write access.

For madVR v0.92.10 or later:
Heater settings.bin
Max Quality settings.bin
Low Power settings.bin

Feedback is appreciated, especially for the low power settings.
Hi, Thanks for sharing!!!

Luckily, I have the same hardware configuration: Nvidia Aorus 1080 Ti Xtreme, Windows 10, and LG OLED55C7P 4K TV. The difference is that I have an Alienware 17r4 i7-7820hk laptop with Graphics Amplifier. (Video Bus: PCIe v3.0 x16 (8.0 GT/s) @ x4 (8.0 GT/s) is my limitation)

I had already set my own settings, but the rules I apply are more complicated because I do it by directory in addition to resulocion and frames. It is more complex, but it works better for me in this way, because it allows me to have, let's say it this way: the three settings: Heater settings, Max Quality settings and Low Power settings in one configuration.

After testing the 3 options (heater, max q and low power) I got excellent performance, modify some things in my scaling settings (like 4k 30fps) based on the Heater settings. (I always use NGU sharp/very high for 4k upscaling but now i replace it with Jinc, as in your settings)

All other processing and rendering settings are the same as yours.

Thks!!!!

Last edited by Oguignant; 7th May 2018 at 06:56.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 05:13   #524  |  Link
Asmodian

I am glad it was helpful.

Using folders to automatically set the profile is a good idea but my profiles were already complex, yours must be intense.
Old 11th May 2018, 09:08   #525  |  Link
NoTechi

madVR settings for sports

Any hints to a madVR newb wich controls I should play with to improve HD sports. To be more precise I have a JVC7900 and watching soccer I found that on closeups everything is sharp and crisp but once the camera zooms out to show like half of the soccer field I have the impression the single players could be sharper. Could be the JVC pixel shift is just at the edge and it can't be improved but I would like to try If someone could share his settings he is using for HD sports would be even better

NoTechi

PS Soccer world cup is starting soon I need to be prepared
NoTechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 09:34   #526  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTechi View Post
Any hints to a madVR newb wich controls I should play with to improve HD sports. To be more precise I have a JVC7900 and watching soccer I found that on closeups everything is sharp and crisp but once the camera zooms out to show like half of the soccer field I have the impression the single players could be sharper. Could be the JVC pixel shift is just at the edge and it can't be improved but I would like to try If someone could share his settings he is using for HD sports would be even better

NoTechi

You might want to try enabling the CMD (frame interpolation) in the JVC, set to low or high (it should be off by default). It doubles the vertical resolution, so it should help with live sports at 50/60p. I assume you're not watching recorded content, so MadVR not relevant. Don't use it with movies unless you like the SOE (soap opera effect).

If recorded (weird way to experience the World Cup!) then try the smooth picture feature in MadVR, but I never use it so I'll let Asmodian give advice.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 13:22   #527  |  Link
NoTechi

Manni many thanks for your Feedback! No I don't like the SOE but you are right I never tried it on sports so far but will do.

I am just setting up madvr with live TV (DVBViewer with madvr getting streamed from a VU+ 4k). I will try smooth motion even though I am not sure if CMD combined with smooth motion is a good idea.

Both might improve the movement but I am more concerned to get the Players more sharp from a bigger distance. In other words even when they are not moving at all but the camera is zoomed out completly to show the field I would like to increase the sharpness of those "tiny players"

NoTechi
Old 11th May 2018, 13:33   #528  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Manni many thanks for your Feedback! No I don't like the SOE but you are right I never tried it on sports so far but will do.

I am just setting up madvr with live TV (DVBViewer with madvr getting streamed from a VU+ 4k). I will try smooth motion even though I am not sure if CMD combined with smooth motion is a good idea.

Both might improve the movement but I am more concerned to get the Players more sharp from a bigger distance. In other words even when they are not moving at all but the camera is zoomed out completly to show the field I would like to increase the sharpness of those "tiny players"

NoTechi
Don't use both CMD and Smooth Motion, it's one or the other

If it's not when the players move, then you might want to use some sharpening, as CMD won't help that much on static shots. I'll let Asmodian advise.

Cool to know that MadVR can work with DVBViewer.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 18:45   #529  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

NoTechi

Upscale with NGU Sharp and use upscaling refinement settings such as sharpen edges or crispen edges.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2018, 21:33   #530  |  Link
Asmodian

I agree with Manni and Warner306.

It is very important to not use smooth motion with any frame interpolation algorithm. Smooth motion generates blended frames when it needs to but these horribly confuse motion interpolation. Smooth motion also does soften the image some so it isn't going to help sharpness at all.

If you are already using NGU Sharp at as high a quality as you can, image enhancement is what you need. Play with one or two sharpeners, don't just click everything, more is not always better. I find good strenth values are usually between 0.5 and 1.5 but this is source and display dependent (I have no experience with projectors) so I wouldn't try to copy others' settings. Trust your eyes but also remember to keep a balance, very sharp might look good at first when studying too closely but look really bad when considering the image as a whole.

As a recommendation (take with some salt, see above):
Crispen Edges is a good option that tends to not make the image look too over sharpened and it can be combined with other sharpeners for good results at fairly low strengths.
Old 12th May 2018, 12:59   #531  |  Link
NoTechi

Many thanks for all the hints to get me world cup ready!

I am still struggling to get good results on scenes which are zoomed out. When they are not moving it's ok but when they do I get sort of "ghosting". So I might have to balance sharpness and "ghosting" free movements. Well I guess I just have to keep trying and to get a feeling for all the settings.

NoTechi
Old 12th May 2018, 22:53   #532  |  Link
Asmodian

A sort of ghosting does not sound good!

Are you using smooth motion? Sharpening and ghosting shouldn't be related at all.
Old 13th May 2018, 11:02   #533  |  Link
huhn

the cause of ghosting has a lot of reasons.
could be something simply as a PWM.
huhn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 11:05   #534  |  Link
NoTechi

No smooth motion is off. I tried but it did not improve the "ghosting". Well "ghosting" might be the wrong term it's more like once the camera is zoomed out and the "tiny players" are moving they are not shown sharp anymore.

It might be also related to the refresh rate which I basically did not looked at yet. I get dropped and repeated frames with live tv where I don't get them with movies with same resolution so my guess is thats refresh rate related. I might need more profiles

It might be I am just asking too much from a 4k pixel shift projector and HD live TV but I am not done with tweaking the settings yet! Still some time to world cup

NoTechi
Old 13th May 2018, 11:11   #535  |  Link
NoTechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
the cause of ghosting has a lot of reasons.
could be something simply as a PWM.
I got a X-Rite i1Display Pro incoming next week to create a 3DLUT. Using a 3DLUT should also improve possible problems coming from PWM right?

NoTechi
Old 13th May 2018, 11:46   #536  |  Link
huhn

no it will not change ghosting.

PWM is kind of an flicker the human eye doesn't see but which can create ghosting.

a screen with 60 hz a source and 60 hz BFI usual flickers but doesn't have ghosting problems while a 120 HZ BFI screen rarely flickers but has ghosting problem.

every type of brightness change on a static image can create this.
Old 13th May 2018, 13:16   #537  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I have watched these streams in the past. The problem being described is a result of the compression. There really is nothing that can be done. Think in terms of x264, the zoomed out angles of the match are just a huge monolithic green field with very small and fast moving players. No real time x264 settings are going to handle this very well. The players are encoded as blurry smudges, I don't think there is a way to make these blurry smudges any sharper.

QB
Old 13th May 2018, 16:11   #538  |  Link
NoTechi

I made some close up pictures today from F1 once the camera was zoomed out which basically has the same effect as with soccer with small moving objects (not the best quality but you will get the point).
Link to sample pictures
I have to add it is not always that bad as in the pictures when zoomed out. It seems to be depending on how the small objects and the camera is moving.

In movies I never get something like this. Also live TV without small moving objects looks great.

@QB Yes the stream compression might explain it. I think it can be somewhat mitigated but it will never look really good.

NoTechi
Old 13th May 2018, 17:54   #539  |  Link
huhn

this is bad deinterlancing or no deinterlancing.
Old 13th May 2018, 19:30   #540  |  Link
NoTechi

I had the impression I was able to use higher settings in madvr with dxv11 instead of DXVA2 (copy-back) without dropped/repeated frames with the downside that deinterlacing is not possible in madvr. But if thats required and will improve live sports it would be ok.

Thanks Huhn will try

NoTechi