Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 13th March 2021, 16:15   #19001  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNutz View Post
double clicking the "jobXX_EncodeAudio1/2/3.cmd file(s) (within the applicable RipBot264temp job folder) manually launches the audio encodes. the desired tracks can be combined using mkvtoolnix or the likes.
Thanx, I know. Thats not what i was asking - doing it manualy is always possible..
In some cases - but I canīt see which ones - there IS a "Copy video stream" option in RB.

@Pauly Dunne
Thanx. I did see the option too in a few cases, I am pretty sure I had none of the ones you mentioned as inputs.
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 18:10   #19002  |  Link
FuzzyNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
IT does what it's says on the tin
tin says shinola.

Last edited by FuzzyNutz; 13th March 2021 at 19:10.
FuzzyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 02:14   #19003  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyNutz View Post
tin says shinola.
Why don't you say what you REALLY mean ?? lol (or is that why it was edited ?)

OK, so to try and answer your question, the "Reconnect" when enabled, allows the server to reconnect automatically if there is some interruption in the connection, similar to having /restart-if-no-progress, added to the cmd line.

Also, if this is enabled, and you have started an encode, then you decide to start another pc to help, once it's up & running, it will kick in and start encoding automatically.

As for "suspend jobless server", if enabled, when you have one or more servers helping with DE, and you have a queue of jobs to get thru, when a job is coming to the end of the chunks, and a particular server has no more to do on that job, it should go to sleep (if it's set up to do so), and then once the next job is starting, then the sleeping server will be woken up, and should start encoding.

Particularly helpful if the remaining chunks & completion process is going to take a while.

I had this happen for me a couple of weeks ago, pretty impressive...saves a bit of electricity
Old 14th March 2021, 02:33   #19004  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher007 View Post
i have an i5 10th gen and an Nvidia 1650 GPU.

im not after outright speed but more quality. currently im using CPU for 4K HDR encodes. im wondering if i should be using some sort of combination of GPU and CPU or will i loose quality?
You should be able to use both, using appropriate cmd line switches.

/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /x264-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 2000 /minimize /priority low /x264-opencl-device-type GPU

or

/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /x264-opencl-device-id 0

As for quality, it might depend on what filtering you're using.

I tried some of these switches today, and I couldn't see that it enabled anything different

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 15th March 2021 at 07:44.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 07:42   #19005  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Update's

So I have spent a few hours looking around for updates to all the Tools used in RipBot, and I found quite a few, there are a lot that haven't been updated for years, and to be honest, there might be several that RipBot doesn't use anymore.

So I've incorporated them into the Tool's Folder, and modified the .ini's so that the new version/build numbers show up when you chose the Tool's tab.

Removed picture, as it's now redundant, due to latest available updates

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 20th March 2021 at 09:45.
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2021, 16:32   #19006  |  Link
chainring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
So I have spent a few hours looking around for updates to all the Tools used in RipBot, and I found quite a few, there are a lot that haven't been updated for years, and to be honest, there might be several that RipBot doesn't use anymore.

So I've incorporated them into the Tool's Folder, and modified the .ini's so that the new version/build numbers show up when you chose the Tool's tab.

I gave it a test run, and only had 1 hiccup with the x264 version I had chosen (there are quite a few modded one's out there).

Just sayin'.
Share the love and upload your tools folder. Please?
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 15:09   #19007  |  Link
blacksapprow

@Atak

With version v1.26.0 it says "Added: VP9 decoding" how can we choose this option?
blacksapprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 15:15   #19008  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Just open any file which uses vp9 codec.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 15:22   #19009  |  Link
blacksapprow

Sorry but, where is "MKV encoded" pane?

My current system is quite old. i7-4960X CPU with GTX 670 4GB. As far as I know it needs 6th. generation processor & like GTX 10xx GPU.

RipBot264 Settings pane displays at right MPEG-2, VC1, AVC, HEVC and OTHER am I missing it here?

Last edited by blacksapprow; 17th March 2021 at 15:43.
Old 17th March 2021, 18:24   #19010  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

It means that RipBot264 can decode files encoded by VP9 codec. I didn't write "Added: VP9 HARDWARE decoding"
Old 17th March 2021, 20:08   #19011  |  Link
blacksapprow

VP9 is a very good quality encoder&decoder. Can you think of adding it as a decoder?
Old 18th March 2021, 02:01   #19012  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapprow View Post
Sorry but, where is "MKV encoded" pane?

My current system is quite old. i7-4960X CPU with GTX 670 4GB. As far as I know it needs 6th. generation processor & like GTX 10xx GPU.

RipBot264 Settings pane displays at right MPEG-2, VC1, AVC, HEVC and OTHER am I missing it here?
Hi blacksapprow,

You system might be a little dated, but it's better than some, I'm sure, and should be more than capable of encoding with RipBot.

I have a few PC's that aren't as good as your's, and they work quite well.

OK, there really isn't an "MKV encoded" pane", you choose what file type AFTER you've created a job (see pic)

This :- MPEG-2, VC1, AVC, HEVC and OTHER, is ONLY where you choose what decoder you want to use, either CPU (recommended) or GPU (if you have good fast powerful video card, Intel or nVidia).

Old 18th March 2021, 02:44   #19013  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
It means that RipBot264 can decode files encoded by VP9 codec. I didn't write "Added: VP9 HARDWARE decoding"
You really should start considering more encoding options, for video & audio, eg:- VP9, NVEnc and E-AC3.

There are a lot of requests, and nothing gets done, because you don't see the need.

The "other" free encoding app's, out there, are able to do all this, but unfortunately, RipBot is starting to fall behind.
Old 18th March 2021, 15:41   #19014  |  Link
jlpsvk

is anybody experiencing that sometimes encodes ends without error, but is not completely encoded???
Old 21st March 2021, 11:32   #19015  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

@Atak,

Stumbled across some stuff, so I thought Iīd give feedback:

- If filenames contain characters like "?", ripbot waits forever while preparing a job saying "waiting for file...."
- Some files with variable framerates are impossible to get right with Ripbot, it seems the length (or the frame count, fps...) is misinterpreted wrong (I know, youīd need a sample - any private adress I can send it to?)
- If an already encoded (or partially encoded file) is edited and only the audio section is changed, the whole file is re-encoded again, even if the video already is done and muxed in the temp-folder.
- Canīt find under which conditions the "copy video" is possible or not, could you help ?
- if the output folder somehow accidently points into nothingness (a non existand drive letter for example), ripbot is behaving like everything is normal, finishing without an error (but oobviously producing no output). Of course the workaround to manually call the mux-batch files etc.. is possible, so not much is lost - but maybe a small check would come in handy (or interpret the error from the muxer shown in the console).

Keep up the good work, thanx for Ripbot!

Last edited by ReinerSchweinlin; 21st March 2021 at 11:34.
Old 21st March 2021, 11:42   #19016  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
You really should start considering more encoding options, for video & audio, eg:- VP9, NVEnc and E-AC3.

There are a lot of requests, and nothing gets done, because you don't see the need.

The "other" free encoding app's, out there, are able to do all this, but unfortunately, RipBot is starting to fall behind.
Well, I certainly see that one could always do more and implement more features. There are always people wishing for more features. But we have to keep in mind that this (Ripbot) is something we get for free and itīs totaly up to Atak to decide whether he wants something added or not. I personaly wouldnīt mind some more documentation on Ripbot - but hey... Itīs Ataks project and his spare time hes giving into it.

What I like about Ripbot:
  • Distributed encoding ... thats simply the killer feature.
  • Just like mentioned in post 1: Itīs simple while still being powerfull. Of course, Staxrip, hybrid, etc... are more flexible - but also require a lot more time to fiddle around. In Ripbot, a lot of time went into the decision of which preset to offer... Which makes it convinient for the user (I am sure Atak spent a lot of time testing the degrain settings to come up with something usefull - or tesed around with CU sizes to max out CPU usage and find a good speed balance... In many cases there was more work done than obvious for the standard user - I appreciate this attention to detail).
  • Given its complexity, its suprisingly stable - it just works - and thats worth a lot more than 230909 feauters (in my oppinion).
Old 21st March 2021, 11:45   #19017  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapprow View Post
VP9 is a very good quality encoder&decoder. Can you think of adding it as a decoder?
Do you mean encoder? Decoding already works.
Old 21st March 2021, 12:47   #19018  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
- If filenames contain characters like "?", ripbot waits forever while preparing a job saying "waiting for file...."
How can you have filename with "?" character ???

Quote:
- Some files with variable framerates are impossible to get right with Ripbot, it seems the length (or the frame count, fps...) is misinterpreted wrong (I know, youīd need a sample - any private adress I can send it to?)
variable frame rate has been always a pain in the ass...

Quote:
- If an already encoded (or partially encoded file) is edited and only the audio section is changed, the whole file is re-encoded again, even if the video already is done and muxed in the temp-folder.
Works as intended. Job is a job. You change something then you start from the scratch.

Quote:
- Canīt find under which conditions the "copy video" is possible or not, could you help ?
Available only if input file is TS ,MTS, M2T or M2TS

Quote:
- if the output folder somehow accidently points into nothingness (a non existand drive letter for example), ripbot is behaving like everything is normal, finishing without an error (but oobviously producing no output). Of course the workaround to manually call the mux-batch files etc.. is possible, so not much is lost - but maybe a small check would come in handy (or interpret the error from the muxer shown in the console).
Will take a look...
Old 21st March 2021, 13:20   #19019  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBroSam View Post
Was there any RipBot264 version that supported DGHable for tone mapping?
But why would you use worse tonemapping algorithm?
Old (DGHable)

New (Tweaked by me BT2446)
Old 21st March 2021, 14:02   #19020  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinerSchweinlin View Post
Well, I certainly see that one could always do more and implement more features. There are always people wishing for more features. But we have to keep in mind that this (Ripbot) is something we get for free and itīs totaly up to Atak to decide whether he wants something added or not. I personaly wouldnīt mind some more documentation on Ripbot - but hey... Itīs Ataks project and his spare time hes giving into it.

What I like about Ripbot:
  • Distributed encoding ... thats simply the killer feature.
  • Just like mentioned in post 1: Itīs simple while still being powerfull. Of course, Staxrip, hybrid, etc... are more flexible - but also require a lot more time to fiddle around. In Ripbot, a lot of time went into the decision of which preset to offer... Which makes it convinient for the user (I am sure Atak spent a lot of time testing the degrain settings to come up with something usefull - or tesed around with CU sizes to max out CPU usage and find a good speed balance... In many cases there was more work done than obvious for the standard user - I appreciate this attention to detail).
  • Given its complexity, its suprisingly stable - it just works - and thats worth a lot more than 230909 feauters (in my oppinion).
I agree 1000% that DE, IS the killer feature, nobody else has or seems to be attempting to add this to the likes of Staxrip or Handbrake.

Staxrip has a parallel encoding option, but that's just not the same

Hybrid is insanely complicated.

Handbrake is simple, has a plethora of video & audio encoding options, but single encoding.

But a few extras would make RB, just so, so much better, and put it at the "top of the heap".

I also have to say that "feauters", really confused me, but then I realised it was a typo. Oh, and just 3 or 4 new features would be plenty

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360