Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th January 2006, 08:17   #21  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

I added the [[Category]] macro to the Sharpen page. That seems to have worked. Note that you have to put it on the same line as the Redirect or it'll be deleted (see here).
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 14:52   #22  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Note that you have to put it on the same line as the Redirect or it'll be deleted.
Ah, i tried to put it on the next line, and it was deleted Thanks!
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 20:22   #23  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Wilbert,

I was looking at this post and the immediate reply again; can I ask whether you are planning to have a page per filter?

(FWIW, some thoughts:

+
-- Allows Wikification of AVISynth scripts and script fragments
-- More information can be presented than on a list page
-- Allows non-essential information to be removed from the list page
-- Consistency of documentation (both consistency among filters and consistency between filters and scripts)
-- Improved documentation for filters which currently largely reside on forum threads (I'm def. guilty of this myself, esp. before I had an HTML editor )
-- Users can clarify the documentation or augment it with e.g. known issues, examples, additional uses, alternatives.

-
-- Risk of desynchronisation/creates upkeep work
-- Many pages will be stubs at first/much content to write
-- Risk of vandalism (?)
)
Old 14th January 2006, 21:06   #24  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Wilbert,

I was looking at this post and the immediate reply again; can I ask whether you are planning to have a page per filter?
We can at least do this for some filters (most used and popular filters). Of course i see also the cons (that's why i started doing it for the offline documentation), but in the end it all depends on how much time it costs and how much people are willing to help.

Btw, i wouldn't worry about vandalism. Vandalism doesn't happen much, and if it happens it's very easy to revert it back.
Old 14th January 2006, 22:29   #25  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

VFR update is done, lot of stuff added and a little trashed or moved around, so have at that one. Geez, that's a messy subject, but I guess I've sort of adopted it.

Richard, does your script ignore ! before words, as well as picking up BiCap words that don't have them? I haven't looked at it.

[edit] Also, have you started any templates? I don't know a lot about them, but I'll look into it; it seems for something like this they're almost required to keep formatting mess to a minimum.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 15th January 2006 at 11:31.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 00:06   #26  |  Link
Wilbert

I edited the main page again to make some improvements.

http://www.avisynth.org/mediawiki/wiki/Main_Page

In my opinion, two things needed special attention:

1) Accessibility to newbies. I got many complains that avisynth.org is not accessibility for newbies. So i added a special section for this. It should contain at least two things: (1) learn how to make basic scripts, and (2) give a basic overview of the possibilities of AviSynth.

2) Inaccessibility of certain subjects like syntax and related stuff. Those are buried to deep and not easy to find. So i added these subjects as a special section.

I also added the section "Filters, external plugins, script functions and utilities". That speaks for itself i think

The development section should be a bit more structured, but that's not important now. I'm also not happy with the Tips, because you don't know what it is about without looking

So, what do you think of it? Is it indeed more accessible for people who are new to AviSynth?
Old 17th January 2006, 03:41   #27  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

It's better, but can be better still The AMV page on Avisynth is very good; we might borrow some of their ideas. I like having "your first script" on the main page, for instance.

I agree the "tips" section is junk.

@foxyshadis
Quote:
Richard, does your script ignore ! before words, as well as picking up BiCap words that don't have them? I haven't looked at it.
That's because I haven't written it yet (I've been working on MeGUI) Do you want BiCap words without '!' to become links by default?

Quote:
Also, have you started any templates?
Don't know anything about them...

@mg232
Quote:
-- Risk of desynchronisation/creates upkeep work
-- Many pages will be stubs at first/much content to write
What would be great is if stickboy, fizick, tsp, vion11, & others used a wiki-page as their main website. Mediawiki's features (especially file pages) should be good enough to handle everything they're currently using their avisynth.org webspace for. Hopefully Didee, Scharfi, etc. would follow suit.
Old 17th January 2006, 07:36   #28  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Wilbert,

That new section is looking very nice.

I really think that there is too much material on the main page. It would be nice to try and keep nearly all the material on one screen, so you can reach any second level page in one click -- using two columns like Wikipedia would help, but also a lot of material is wordy: "External plugins for AviSynth v2.5x by some of our finest authors, organized here for your downloading pleasure."

Tips and guides is as noted silly as it stands, and it's not clear where it ends and advanced topics begins. Advanced topics is a productive category -- i.e. we can keep adding to it -- so IMO it doesn't belong on the front page, because potentially it can keep growing. Random musings is also unhelpful -- editor-stuff belongs in your new category, either under utilities or more probably as a 'Editor' link. The other languages we could just treat like Wiki pedia.

@Richard Berg
Do we have easily-accessible statistics on how often the different links from the main page are used? (I.e. if something is never clicked on, it may not belong on the main page.) Please don't go to a lot of trouble to get all of these if it's tricky.

Edit: how about having the main quick links at the top, as Wikipedia and AMV Wiki do? I rigged up something to show what I mean...

http://www.avisynth.org/mediawiki/wiki/User:Clouded

(obviously the exact content will change; this is just to get an idea of the look)

Last edited by mg262; 17th January 2006 at 12:09.
mg262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 15:27   #29  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

http://avisynth.org/awstats/cgi-bin/...g=avisynth.org
Old 21st January 2006, 17:14   #30  |  Link
Wilbert

I cleaned up the main page and took Clouded suggestions into account. I think it's pretty good now, but we can always change things when needed.

I suggest we divide the workload. Perhaps Clouded can start (or continue ) with the 'external plugins' section. foxyshadis, what do you want to do? Start with the script functions or help with the internal functions? I will start with the internal functions section, and the faq.
Old 22nd January 2006, 01:42   #31  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

I checked out templates, and it seems that they could be cajoled into styling properly, but you can't just define one template that enforces a style. (And could be swapped out for another.) I was hoping for something higher level. Still, I have been experimenting in my wiki and might have some useful attempts.

As for linking, there's quite a few accidental links (plus anything in <code> is unlinked). It'd probably just be better to compare to the original to see what makes sense for inclusion.

Wilbert, I'd be glad to start cleaning up and re-adding some of the script functions. I'll have to wait until tomorrow though.
Old 22nd January 2006, 02:12   #32  |  Link
stickboy
AviSynth Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
What would be great is if stickboy, fizick, tsp, vion11, & others used a wiki-page as their main website. Mediawiki's features (especially file pages) should be good enough to handle everything they're currently using their avisynth.org webspace for.
I could give it a shot (my web page right is really basic), but what compelling reason is there to do so? Visual consistency?
stickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 05:42   #33  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Main reason: to establish that putting such things on the wiki is easy -- and if you early adopters hit pain points, fix them -- in order to encourage lots more people to do the same. Right now too much knowledge is buried in 30-page threads. I've thought about giving the most prominent script writers web accounts like yours, so their creations can be put somewhere more discoverable, but I don't think they'd really get used; writing HTML & uploading it is annoying. Wikis should make it simpler, but the old/current one is very clumsy WRT script files (no way to upload; embedding in the page instead looks like shite; no organization to speak of), so again it sees poor participation. Having it automatically version files is of course a huge plus.
Old 22nd January 2006, 14:13   #34  |  Link
mg262
Clouded

Richard,
thanks again!

@all,
Quote:
Perhaps Clouded can start (or continue ) with the 'external plugins' section.
Wilbert was referring to this: it's very rough, but I figured we needed to start somewhere...

http://www.avisynth.org/mediawiki/wi...Classification

(Not just plugins... it already includes a few script fns, and would have more if there were a list of them around.) It really isn't meant as a final model, just something to discuss. Feel free to take it apart or edit it into better shape. + Please keep an eye out for misclassifications... some of these I didn't find much info on.

Edit: By the way, Wilbert, do you think the internal filters should be added to that classification as well? (It would be relatively easy as I know what they all do.)

Last edited by mg262; 22nd January 2006 at 22:40.
mg262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 23:54   #35  |  Link
gzarkadas

Re: documentation help requested for new mediawiki

Count me in
Old 26th January 2006, 00:26   #36  |  Link
Fizick
AviSynth plugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Berg
What would be great is if stickboy, fizick, tsp, vion11, & others used a wiki-page as their main website.
Who will have write access to this pages?
Old 26th January 2006, 13:54   #37  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Right now everything uploaded seems to land under Image:, which means they'll be a little more difficult to link to and use. I'd like to be able to link directly to the script from info pages, rather than its cover page, but the only way I know of is hard linking and uploading a new version will break that (since it puts it into folders named for its hash). I don't think there's a natural way to do that, but one of us could make some modifications to the wiki codease.

would Script: be a good namespace for all of that?
Old 27th January 2006, 00:12   #38  |  Link
hanfrunz

you can use [[Media:filename.ext]] to directly link to a file!
hanfrunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2006, 04:27   #39  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Quote:
Who will have write access to this pages?
I can restrict it if you like.

I believe I also have the ability to create other aliases (besides Media) for "image" hosting by editing config files instead of hacking the PHP.
Old 6th February 2006, 16:25   #40  |  Link
niiyan

Can I add Japanese translations to new wiki pages?
niiyan is offline   Reply With Quote