Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 6th August 2008, 03:54   #1  |  Link
NaNoX

Weird Lines on Anime (only d2v loaded)

Hi guys!

I daily search for something new on your hard work to make us "the newbies" to learn about amazing encodes like you do... but... over the days/months, i haven't be able to get one special enconde to work good.

I'm loading an AVS for the BubbleGum Crysis Tokyo Series, but, only loading the "d2v" file, i get weird lines/noise i don't know how to call it. anywayt, the things is, that normally with other animes, i don't get those errors ... is this! specially. so, i'm needing your help know to see what type of filters would make those lines dissappear. I really thanks in advance any help you could give me

Also, i've another problem, when i load FastLineDarken i get a "SimpleAverage" function error. i've masktools-v2.0a21 and Avisynth 2.5.7 . I ned help with that too please.

I attach a screenshot from the D2v Loaded whit the avs.
Greetings!!
NaNoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 04:03   #2  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

That my friend is called dotcrawl. And if I may say so, that is one messed up source. It also looks like you have some combing. Did you use the "Force Film" option in DGindex. If you did, don't. If you didn't, good. You need to have the source as close to the original to remove that dot crawl. run a search for more information.

Last edited by Adub; 6th August 2008 at 18:20. Reason: spelling...er
Adub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 14:30   #3  |  Link
fibbingbear
Ursus arctos horribilis

Also look for "checkmate", I believe that filter is quite good at removing dot crawl.
fibbingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 17:43   #4  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

Indeed it is, CheckMate tends to run a lot faster than most of the other Dot crawl removers. Some of them really slow down your encoding time..
Sagekilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 18:17   #5  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

THAT was the name of that filter. I gots to run and gets me a copy.
Old 6th August 2008, 18:32   #6  |  Link
mikeytown2
Resize Abuser

checkmate
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...72#post1113172
mikeytown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 02:49   #7  |  Link
NaNoX

thank you very much guys!

and, yes, i actually use the "Forced Film" setting on all my animes .. weird, but good to know that not always will be better to do that. Thanks, i'll try to do that thing whit the "checkmate" filter, i'll tell you guys later
Thanks!
Old 7th August 2008, 17:44   #8  |  Link
Yoshiyuki Blade
Novice x264 User

Be cautious when using checkmate. It can cause some artifacts in areas that are bright and flickery, or areas that just have fast repeated movement such as screen shaking effects.

I've noticed this using dedot in the past as well. Perhaps those special effects somehow get detected as dot crawl, so they get unintentionally processed.
Yoshiyuki Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 23:53   #9  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Indeed. It's very important to make sure to set the field order correctly before running checkmate. I was doing "Pinky and the Brain" for work the other day, and there's scads of dot crawl in the master (some droid hooking things up with composite, no doubt). Checkmate() without the field order set correctly caused many artifacts. Setting the field order correctly fixed this. You tell me why

But, you can't properly IVTC without setting field order anyway - so who cares :P

Also, you should only use forced film if you source is soft telecined (i.e. encoded as 24p, and DGIndex has a high "film" percentage. Otherwise you'll have problems

~MiSfit
Old 7th August 2008, 23:55   #10  |  Link
Sagekilla
x264aholic

Wasn't so much field order as it was me setting the wrong variable inside of Telecide
Old 8th August 2008, 07:16   #11  |  Link
Yoshiyuki Blade
Novice x264 User

Actually, now that I've tested it, it seems that if you put checkmate before the IVTC filter, it'll cause the artifacts I was talking about. The dot crawl removal seems weaker if you apply it after IVTCing though.

In the end, it's much better to apply checkmate() after you finish removing the combs regardless that it's weaker. Interlacing + rapid movement doesnt play too well with dot crawl removal filters, and the artifacts it creates stand out much more
Old 9th August 2008, 07:39   #12  |  Link
NaNoX

I try to understand all the things that you guys are saying... anyway.. i've tested de "checkmate" filter and it didn't do to much to the source (wich i have used in the "force film" and "None" setup whit dgindex). Can you explain what exactly do the "IVTC" filter on the anime sources? ... the knowledge about doing things whit avs scripts it's basically known from another friend...

sorry to bother you guys, but it seems i'm doing the right way getting you to help me out whit this problem.

Thanks in advance AGAIN!!

I'll upload tomorrow a part of the source "untouched", so, if u could help me, then, do it

Also, I'll like to use the "LimitedSharpenFaster" plugin and "FastLineDarken"... I actually use "vmtoon" but i guess it's takin to much time to do one simple encode from a 22 minutes source (like 3 hours the 1st pass and another 3 hours to the 2nd pass).

Thx again!!

Last edited by NaNoX; 9th August 2008 at 07:41.
Old 9th August 2008, 15:17   #13  |  Link
Yoshiyuki Blade
Novice x264 User

IVTC stands for "inverse telecine." If your DVD is from the NTSC region, the source was probably originally 24fps progressive, telecined to 30fps (a mix of progressive and interlaced frames). It usually goes in a pattern of 3 progressive frames, followed by 2 interlaced (also known as 2:3 pulldown), but that pattern isn't always perfect. Read more about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#2:3_pulldown.

What IVTC does is it attempts to reverse that telecining process to restore the progressive frames. Though it's practically impossible to IVTC everything perfectly, you can still acquire satisfactory results.

Force Film should only be used for "soft telecined" DVD footage. To figure this out, preview your source through DGIndex (or save the project and let it index). Look at the Video Type on the information panel to see whether it says Film (%), NTSC (%), or just plain NTSC. If the source is mostly film (95% or higher), it's recommended to use Force Film then. For everthing else, you'll have to use other methods. One of many is IVTC.

From my experience, TIVTC has given some pretty good results for anime (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=82264). If you wanna IVTC, start by opening the source with DGIndex, set the field operation to "Honor Pulldown Flags," and save the project.

Using TIVTC as an example, open up your avisynth script, load up the plugin and start like so:

mpeg2source("your\indexed\source\directory.d2v")
checkmate()
tfm(d2v="your\indexed\source\directory.d2v")
tdecimate(mode=1)
(and then the rest of your filters)

Of course, your script does not have to look like that word-for-word, but the general order you'd want to go is:

1. load plugins/scripts
2. load source
3. apply pre-IVTC filters like dotcrawl/rainbow removal
4. apply IVTC/decimate filter
5. apply any additional filters

It may or may not give you the results you want. But this should get you started somehwere. Hope this helps

Last edited by Yoshiyuki Blade; 9th August 2008 at 17:41.
Old 19th August 2008, 03:23   #14  |  Link
NaNoX

thx for the good answer Yoshiyuki Blade ... but... i can't do anything!! VDubMod gives me an error telling me that there's a problem with ntdll ... anyway, taking off the TMF and DECIMATE instructions from the AVS file, is good, but i need those! .

can somebody explain me what can be happening? . after installing XP again like two weeks ago, i copy & paste my old "plugins" directory and then the problems. any solutions? thanks again folks!
Old 27th August 2008, 03:17   #15  |  Link
NaNoX

Fixed!

just reinstalled windows
Old 27th August 2008, 05:08   #16  |  Link
Yoshiyuki Blade
Novice x264 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNoX View Post
Fixed!

just reinstalled windows
That's good. How are the results?
Old 29th August 2008, 05:19   #17  |  Link
NaNoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiyuki Blade View Post
That's good. How are the results?
Really bad, i guess the source is the messed up one... give me a day and i'll upload the opening. so you can check it by yourself

Thanks!

Tags
anime, dot crawl, fastlinedarken