Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 25th January 2010, 02:35   #10461  |  Link
CruNcher

sowt (quicktime audio) .mov decoding problems and artifacting with ffdshow DXVA and a 60 FPS stream on Nvidia VP2 booth seems to be known by now

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 03:18   #10462  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
artifacting with ffdshow DXVA and a 60 FPS stream on Nvidia VP2 booth seems to be known by now
It would be helpful to the devs here if you provided a sample clip where the problem is.
use dgsplit: link, a 100MB sample, and upload it to mediafire and provide the link here. The free uploader has problems sometimes, to fix this create a account and upload the file to your account.

Also if you can say which revision the problem appeared too, that would help.

Last edited by Jeremy Duncan; 25th January 2010 at 03:22.
Jeremy Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 08:27   #10463  |  Link
hydra3333

installing ffdshow on Vista-64bit and then Win7-64bit

Hi, I can't readily find a link answering this ...

Can I install ffdshow 32bit successfully on Windows Vista 64bit (and after an upgrade, Windows7 64 bit) so that MediaPlayerClassic (32bit I guess) uses it ? I'd prefer to use MPC as my standard player for everything. Is there anything special I have to do to get it to install/work ?

Any other advice (eg I'd heard there was something like a 64bit ffdshow and a 64bit MPC) ?
hydra3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 09:41   #10464  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
Can I install ffdshow 32bit successfully on Windows Vista 64bit so that MediaPlayerClassic 32bit uses it?
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
I'd heard there was something like a 64bit ffdshow and a 64bit MPC) ?
that's also true.

just remember, if your player is 64 bit, you'll need all your decoders to be 64 bit as well.
tal.aloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 10:49   #10465  |  Link
hydra3333

Great !

I've been reading in some threads how Micro$oft locks down the Media Foundation codecs in Windows7 so that effectively only their own run, or something like that ... so I'd prefer 32bit MPC with 32bit ffdshow since I guess it avoids all of that hassle.

You'd have thought the US' system and/or the EU would have pinged them for anti-competitiveness (anti-trust?) or something like that. Maybe that's coming in th future.

Thanks
hydra3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 12:11   #10466  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

@dann23
I don't understand your point : in DXVA1 the buffers are allocated by the renderer. In DXVA2 the buffers are allocated by FFDShow, but in all cases this is the same result : buffers are pointers to direct3D surfaces wherever they are allocated.
And in all cases they have to be copied from the GPU
You could argue that they could just be read instead of copied but this would be worse : each internal filter needs to read the direct3D surface (or uncompressed buffer if you prefer) and as this reading is very slow, this is better to copy it once for good.

@Jeremy
I don't understand your point either : there is nothing to do with the CPU/GPU, this is a matter of bandwidth and direction (GPU to or from CPU)
The way you read can be tuned and this is what we tried : with SSE optimizations you fill and copy 128 bits registers but the improvements is very thick

No, the only (and last) lead is the intel's employee who claims to get a bandwidth that is 100x the bandwidth that we get.
But I think he made his tests with low res videos with which the bandwidth is not saturated.

Also note that we are talking about reading (GPU=>CPU), writing is very fast though.
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 12:21   #10467  |  Link
iron2000
Questioning User

Just tried SPlayer.
Their GPU acceleration works very well.
No artifacts on seek and fast fullscreen switch.

Hope ffdshow will archive that soon too.
Old 25th January 2010, 13:30   #10468  |  Link
Astrophizz

Last I checked, SPlayer achieved GPU acceleration (and quick software decoding) by using a cracked version of CoreAVC. I'm not sure if that's still the case but I had an unpleasant experience uninstalling SPlayer the last time so I'm hesitant to try it again...

Edit: Ok, this would seem to indicate that CoreAVC is no longer in SPlayer. In that case I can only guess that SPlayer now uses DXVA akin to MPC-HC.

Last edited by Astrophizz; 25th January 2010 at 13:44.
Astrophizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 15:54   #10469  |  Link
dann23

Quote:
Originally Posted by albain View Post
@dann23
I don't understand your point : in DXVA1 the buffers are allocated by the renderer. In DXVA2 the buffers are allocated by FFDShow, but in all cases this is the same result : buffers are pointers to direct3D surfaces wherever they are allocated.
You could argue that they could just be read instead of copied but this would be worse : each internal filter needs to read the direct3D surface (or uncompressed buffer if you prefer) and as this reading is very slow, this is better to copy it once for good.
I'm not argue about anything All I want is just dxva and subtitles. And as I understand from previos posts is that you don't have to read dxva buffers in this case(hope i'm not wrong). That's what I'm trying to say.
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 16:30   #10470  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann23 View Post
All I want is just dxva and subtitles. And as I understand from previos posts is that you don't have to read dxva buffers in this case(hope i'm not wrong). That's what I'm trying to say.
yes, we have two alternatives that doesn't involve reads (only writes):
1. overlay the subs on top of the decoded picture, this seems to work well. (it's going to be faster than the method used in beta 2)

2. write a second buffer that include only the subtitles and opacity map (AYUV 32), and let the GPU do the alpha-blending. this should be possible, but I can't get it to work yet.
Old 25th January 2010, 17:09   #10471  |  Link
onomatopellan

Thanks you guys for your work in ffdshow dxva. I want to show my test with an ancient cpu like an Atlhon XP 2800+ and an ASUS AH3450 AGP 8x (ATI Catalyst 9.2) in Windows 7 32bits. Using MPC-HC 1.3.1503 with ffdshow dxva. The video is 720p and subs are external SSA.

Post Processing Disabled: cpu at 17%. It plays the movie without problem.

Overlay:
ffdshow_rev3206_20100118-DXVA-Post-Processing-Beta1: cpu at 70%. Subs are low quality and somewhat green but it's fast. I can watch 720p movies+subs without problem.

ffdshow_rev3208_20100119-DXVA-Post-Processing-Beta2 cpu at 90%-100%. Subs are better and without the green colors. It shows garbage/blocks in the image at the beginning. Almost unwatchable.

Blend: with rev3208 cpu at 100%. Very good subtitles but unwatchable. Lots of garbage on the image at the beginning.

Full Post Processing: cpu at 100%. VERY slow (like 1fps). Lots of garbage on the image. Great subs but unplayable and unwatchable.

It would be great if you can implement an "overlay fast mode/low quality" like in rev3206 but without the green subs problem. Is this possible?

Last edited by onomatopellan; 25th January 2010 at 17:20.
onomatopellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 19:01   #10472  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dann23 View Post
I'm not argue about anything All I want is just dxva and subtitles. And as I understand from previos posts is that you don't have to read dxva buffers in this case(hope i'm not wrong). That's what I'm trying to say.
No problem, we consider any proposition, giving the fact that we are pretty out of ideas
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 20:34   #10473  |  Link
rsd78

Quote:
No problem, we consider any proposition, giving the fact that we are pretty out of ideas
I will add my vote to simply getting dxva + subtitles to work with low cpu usage. I can't speak for all users, but I think for those looking to get dxva working with ffdshow, the big plus would be able to get subtitles in any directshow player.

As you know there are plenty of current methods of getting dxva in general in any player. Currently the only option to get dxva + subs is either MPC-HC or CoreaVC (which requires an NVIDIA gpu). Give me that regardless of the player and gpu (assuming dxva is supported) and you extend the usefulness of ffdshow to a lot of users imo (especially as lower power htpcs are becoming more popular).
rsd78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 21:08   #10474  |  Link
hoborg

+1 to dxva + subtitles

How to start with Bitcoin
hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 21:10   #10475  |  Link
Perls

Quote:
Hi Albain,

When using dxva2, have you allocated the decoded frames in gpu-local memory or in non-cachable cpu memory? As it was an Intel guy who wrote the article I guess he only tried with frames decoded to un-cacheable main memory (intel integrated graphics). Accessing the frames over pci-express probably yields low throughput due to latencies.
Perls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 23:55   #10476  |  Link
tal.aloni

onomatopellan,
thanks for testing,
expect performance similar to beta 1, or slightly better.
(unless somebody else will optimize it further)

also, I have to confess, the subs in beta 1 were green because I mistaken (0,0,0) in yuv to be black, while it's actually green.
Old 26th January 2010, 03:43   #10477  |  Link
roytam1
Firefox User

Sorry to bother you but when will ffdshow enable COOK audio codec?
roytam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 04:11   #10478  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

Link to where you can watch this thread for replies to your problem.

"Tom Craver works with 3D graphics IHVs to help them optimize their driver software on Intel's latest processors.
Previously he developed and validated driver and user interface software for cable modems and for Intel's DVI multimedia technology.
Prior to joining Intel, Tom was a member of the technical staff at the David Sarnoff Research Center in Princeton, NJ, and before that, he was with AT&T's Bell Laboratories.
Tom holds B.S. degrees in physics and computer science from the University of Illinois.
He also has a M.S. degree from Purdue University. His e-mail is tom.r.craver(insert at here)intel.com."

Tom Craver wrote that article you are talking about. Email him and ask him to look at the thread I started and reply to it. then registaer there and talk to him about your problem with dxva.

Last edited by Jeremy Duncan; 26th January 2010 at 04:14.
Jeremy Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 09:31   #10479  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
@dann23

@Jeremy
I don't understand your point either : there is nothing to do with the CPU/GPU, this is a matter of bandwidth and direction (GPU to or from CPU)
The way you read can be tuned and this is what we tried : with SSE optimizations you fill and copy 128 bits registers but the improvements is very thick

No, the only (and last) lead is the intel's employee who claims to get a bandwidth that is 100x the bandwidth that we get.
But I think he made his tests with low res videos with which the bandwidth is not saturated.

Also note that we are talking about reading (GPU=>CPU), writing is very fast though.
Haali has some ideas about this iirc, please contact him.
Old 26th January 2010, 09:41   #10480  |  Link
cc979
Curious BetaTester

Quote:
Originally Posted by roytam1 View Post
Sorry to bother you but when will ffdshow enable COOK audio codec?
i was curious about that also, as vlc is able to play COOKED audio

Tools: ProcessExplorer & ProcessMonitor - BatchCompressor

Guide: MinGW Compiling GCC
cc979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl