Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 21st October 2010, 06:16   #3981  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji-kun View Post
How can I convert it to a lossless WAV? I have tried to use the "Demux AC3 to WAV" audio option in DGIndex and it hasn't worked once. Can BeLight convert the audio to a lossless WAV.

Simply encoding to x264 with no audio and then muxing the demuxed AC3 track sounds more straightforward.
You can create a wav quality 1.00 full quality in the audio config.

However my advice is to load your file and for your audio option choose jut mux which means it will just mux in original file with your encoded x264. Sounds like what you want.
Old 21st October 2010, 06:18   #3982  |  Link
flebber
Practising Schemer

Old 24th October 2010, 03:35   #3983  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

just converted some films i ripped, PAL cartoons,

ASP DivX MP3 96 ABR (the very best quality settings in DivX preset 10)
1075 mb per DVDRip volume, 12 volumes in total 3x4 DVD-5 (i know way to much, but i want the picture to look good even on a large TV)

everyone i done was fine, with really good quality however near the end of the volume of each AVI, there is audio video sync problems,

the 1st 50 minutes is fine, but then audio becomes out of sync, and the out of sync increases from 1.5 seconds to 8 seconds of out of sync near the end of the file,

i was bored and couldn't get a sleep needed something to watch and only had that to hand on my drive that was ok to watch but wouldn't keep me awake,
anyway that's how i found the problem, i will start from scratch and try the official release of staxrip and go from there and of course check the source as there could be a problem with the RIP,

i will post back on monday,

i will also try to rip to x264 too see if that changes anything (if only there were more x264 mainstream players i would move to x264)

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 24th October 2010 at 03:39.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:37   #3984  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

OK, I have now confirmed what is happening,

Staxrip any version is causing the Auido out of sync,

I have checked the source and all is fine,

I think what is happening is that staxrip has determined that the video sync is -80ms out as it reports when checking, but that is the case only at the beginning,

the DVD volume has been ripped as a whole, but there are about 12 Cartoons in a volume, and the -80ms only applies to the 1st 7-10 cartoons, but then the audio sync changes, but staxrip has applied a global sync adjustment on the whole and not on each single cartoon,

i assume that this information is in the IFO files, because the source plays back fine on my PC, and on two different DVD players,

I'm now going to try FUW (Fairuse Wizard), FUW approaches projects with like AutoGK does, using Chains.

each chain will be treated as a separate project, and so will have there corrections on each one.
I'm thinking this will work, because the IFO contains these corrections already, and FUW will apply these corrections to each chain,

because Staxrip doesn't operate on a chain level, staxrip assumes the correction if found will apply to the whole, which of course is why i'm having trouble,

if this turns out to be true, than doing episode disks with staxrip could become very error prone,

I'm doing a quick encode with FUW now, will report back on the results, but the fact that FUW treats each Chain independently give me great optimism that it will work,

will post soon,

EDIT

FUW on accessing the DVD shows

Chain AR Duration Chapters Blah Blah Blah

11----4/3--1:34:05----12 This is the one that Staxrip grabs (DVD players also can use this but has the IFO to guide the player)

there are 12 more separate chains in this list, each one being a cartoon,

i will try two encodes, one using the 1:34:05 chain, and then do the other 12 chains as they are (separate)

see what happens,

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 24th October 2010 at 19:48.
Old 24th October 2010, 20:09   #3985  |  Link
stax76

You can try to create separate titles while ripping for instance with MakeMKV or DVD Decrypter IFO mode or PGCDemux. For DVD Decrypter and PGCDemux you might need AnyDVD or DVDfab Passkey or DVD43.

Last edited by stax76; 24th October 2010 at 20:13.
Old 24th October 2010, 20:39   #3986  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

yeah, i was already aware of that, but i generally follow a single rule, never re-author a disk, it causes so many more possible areas of problems, i like using a Bit for Bit rip (baring any protection being removed of course)

i have found in the past that re-authored disks actually can cause more issues in there own right,
over at DVD-guide, i have helped so many people with problems which have been related to DVD's being ripped in movie mode..... asking a Ripper to strip and edit then re-author the disk can so easily break a DVD's functions (structure)

the only authoring system that i really trust is "Muxman" but even that can break a DVD but only the complex ones of course (the really complex ones),

in these situations, i think I'll just use a program that can access the DVD using the chain system, Like FUW and AutoGK to name a couple,

assuming of course this works, FUW is nearly finished, it may not even work....... gosh will i feel small LOL,
Old 24th October 2010, 21:37   #3987  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

OK I can confirm that FUW worked fine when dealing with the individual chains, i can also confirm that when I chose the big chain in FUW, the same thing happened with FUW as it did with Staxrip (A/V sync problem)

so for reference,

on DVD's that have multiple episodes in a single chain.....

I'm not sure how to word what I wish to say,

if a DVD such as a cartoon DVD which doesn't have just one cartoon but has many, StaxRip will not look at the cartoons seperately, but rather decide what corrections need to be applied to the whole chain based on what it found at the beginning of the chain,

however if the cartoons in the middle of the chain suddenly required different corrections to be made, then staxrip would not know this and those corrections would not be made, leading to possible sound and video sync issues, which would get worse the further you get into the file produced by Staxrip,

although I feel this occurrence would be rare, in most cases DVD's have these corrections already applied to the video stream itself, so this problem i have experienced would not normally happen, the video audio correction would be the same throughout the chain,

i used fairuse wizard which like a few converters out there, can process the other chains found on the DVD, rather than the big chain which is just the single chains put into one, if the single chains can be treated individually, then each chain will be checked and have corrections done to each one,

NOTE
I have found the above very hard to explain, and I'm sure there are many here who can do explain better than me,

I give FULL PERMISSION to who ever to modify what I have written above, if they feel they can take what i have written and improve upon it,
Old 25th October 2010, 02:55   #3988  |  Link
stax76

MakeMKV is probably the most reliable way regarding sync issues, it can open both from DVD directly and from folder on the hard drive.
Old 25th October 2010, 04:55   #3989  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

FUW worked fine for me, also for reference I did an encode with AutoGK, again worked fine, don't see the point in using a different ripper when clearly the Converter in question can deal with the issue I had, in situations like this I will just use a converter that can access a DVD on a Chain level, all cartoon DVD's for example I will use FUW in the future, no bother.

for me using a converter that can deal with this problem head on is the most reliable way, any converter that can access the DVD in question on a chain level will not have the above problem because the user can select the individual chains instead of the large chain being selected, don't see the need to solve this issue with an entire new Ripping program, fortunately there are a several converters out there that allow the user to access the DVD on that level, even old programs such as AutoGK can operate on a chain level, I feel this to be the better choice rather than introducing entirely new software to solve a problem that can obviously be dealt with by converters.

but in all honesty like i said above this is a rare problem, so not a major issue, but I will be aware of this issue now and choose accordingly in the future when dealing with cartoon DVD's.

thanks for your feedback,
and your program is wonderful, and is my number one choice, was FUW for over 3 years, but Staxrip has been my number one now for about 5 months, the AVS filter capabilities, and the choices available is amazing, dealing with PAL Interlace stuff, the VagueDenoiser Low is brilliant, but more importantly, the quality, FUW has always had unbelievable quality (ASP DivX/Xvid) but your program has been in my opinion the 1st that has rivalled FUW, but with the features that Staxrip has easily tips the balance.

but like so many only has the capability of two audio tracks, i love directors commentary, and sometimes the need for 3 (4 DC tracks in lord of the rings) or more would be a great luxury, but none seem to support that apart from MeGui in the open source selection i do believe,

thanks for letting me know about MakeMKV, i will try it out at some point, give it a test run, probably at Xmas (i always try new programs out every Xmas that comes with good recommendations from forums, and give them a run through, that's how i got on with Staxrip from last xmas) and come march there abouts Staxrip took the crown away from FUW (although FUW has dropped the bag over the last two years, not much development, but fortunately still getting fixes so no complaints from me LOL)

Last edited by Pulp Catalyst; 25th October 2010 at 05:23.
Old 31st October 2010, 09:01   #3990  |  Link
willscarlett

Hello Stax!
Nice work on staxrip, seems to be a good compromise between usability and necessary options. But I have some questions that i THINK have not been answered yet in this huge thread (which is not very helpful anymore with all that old posts concerning old versions and absolutely no structure. Please consider getting your own forum with sub-topics etc.!)

First question: Almost all Movies or Series I try to convert using staxrip come out delayed. DGIndex finds no or the wrong amount of delay. The thing is: the source files (VOB) are not delayed when i play them in vlc.
So I can only determine the right delay in vlc AFTER converting with staxrip and then use virtualdub to correct the delay, but i would like to save that extra time. Is there any possibility to check the synchronicity BEFORE I hit the "start" button?
When I enter a large delay, the audio-track gets yellow and there is a crippled help-text saying: "... to verify if audio and video are in sync you can right-click the filters menu and" and then the sentence ends. What does it say afterwards?
I already tried the option "play" because it seemed logical for a preview but that only opens vlc and nothing happens then. Can you help me on that one?

Question 2: How do I find out, which language in my IDX-file contains the subs that I need to understand the movie and thus have to be hardcoded (for example only the parts where the japanese mafia boss talks to someone on the phone in japanese and then returns to his conversation with the american police officer ;-) ). I thought only those were included in the IDX-file but I tried it now and had the full movie subtitled...

I think that was it for now. ;-) thanks in advance for your help!
Old 31st October 2010, 11:33   #3991  |  Link
stax76

@willscarlett

Welcome at doom9.

I point to this thread from various locations, people can post here or create new threads, vBulletin has a search feature called 'search this thread'.

Regarding the sync problem the assistant message already tells the most important things, I don't know why the message is cut on your system, I guess it happens on XP systems, the font size for this message was already reduced to make it fit, I've further reduced it now. The full message is:

Quote:
The audio delay is unusual high, you might have to trim the beginning with DGIndex, demux with ProjectX or rip with MakeMKV. To verify if audio and video are in sync you can right-click the Filters menu and choose 'Play'.
The reason for the delay is often the DVD structure but it should only happen with few DVDs. From all methods I always recommend MakeMKV which is probably the most reliable and easiest way to deal with it, there are various other ways like demuxing with ProjectX or trimming with DGIndex, that will only work when no subtitles are needed.

There is another known delay issue, I think several threads on it exist, I think it has something to do with H.264 baseprofile and MP4 container so using the iPhone template might cause it, I'm not using MP4 output so I'm not well informed about the issue, first thing I would try here is updating x264 and mp4box.

the Play feature triggering VLC is problem since StaxRip opens the player associated with AVI assuming it's a DirectShow player able to play avs files, a workaround would have to be added.

Regarding forced subtitles, if there are any StaxRip should create a dedicated file containing '_Forced' in the filename, this will only work when Java is installed.

I hope you find a solution for the problems since for the most part I'm still taking a time off.
Old 31st October 2010, 12:48   #3992  |  Link
willscarlett

Thanks for the quick answer Stax!

My OS is Windows 7 x64 (english) if you need that information for the resizing of the font.

I already thought about the direct-show problem. So if i had a direct show player and ffdshow it would probably work ;-) But I don't like direct show, that's why i use vlc ^^

I send the disc (that i had ripped with the red fox) through makeMKV now and then everything went fine. Actually it is quite comfortable to work with makeMKV because you can deselect unnecessary tracks and subtitles right away and have episodes on the disc split by title. I wasn't sure about quality losses first but then i remembered that MKV is just a container... but for newbies it might be hard to understand why you suggest MakeMKV as ripper as it already produces directly playable files.
Thanx for the great tool!
Old 1st November 2010, 13:18   #3993  |  Link
tasslehoff44

Hi,

I have a bug, when try to encode this raw ts and some other of the same guy, staxrip don't demux good the audio.

I have to demux manualy with tsMuxeR for have it to work.

And one other thing, you talk there some week about subtitle position on filter section. For me i thinks it's better to put subtitle at the end, i use subtitle for cutted raw, if i cut the video before my sub, my sub isn't syncro i have to put after the cut.

At this time i can do manualy, that's not a prob, but i can't have a good preview with f5 because staxrip reload the cut before my sub...

I hope you understand what's i write.

Thanks for all
Old 4th November 2010, 11:44   #3994  |  Link
BLackEagle38

How ripper staxriple bluray.

I used version 1.1.7
Old 4th November 2010, 22:46   #3995  |  Link
jsquare
BrainDead

Incomplete Subtitles

Recently started converting some of my DVDs to x264/AAC/MP4 and including subs in some of them, but I'm noticing that the subtitles only work up to the first 39 minutes or less, when I checked the .idx file created by VSRip the time stamp only goes up to the previous mentioned length. I'm ripping the DVDs with DVD Decrypter IFO mode into a single VOB + IFO and chapters, is there something that I'm doing wrong on the ripping process or another step that I'm missing?
Old 5th November 2010, 00:20   #3996  |  Link
stax76

VSRip and VobSub often fail, ripping with MakeMKV usually works better.
Old 5th November 2010, 02:46   #3997  |  Link
jsquare
BrainDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
VSRip and VobSub often fail, ripping with MakeMKV usually works better.
Thanks Stax, didn't know about MakeMKV I'll give it a try.
Old 5th November 2010, 17:51   #3998  |  Link
tasslehoff44

Why you ignore my message ? what i have do for that ?

I think i talk about real bug or problem i find in staxrip.
Old 5th November 2010, 23:08   #3999  |  Link
stax76

I ignore most posts except sometimes some easy to answer because I'm mostly taking a time out, I started this a few weeks back and continue a few months minimum, sorry about your problem, I hope I can help when I'm fully back.
Old 6th November 2010, 19:25   #4000  |  Link
Famille_CB

Audio encoding problem with besweet

Hello,

I've a problem when I use the Besweet encoder to transform a wav file in ogg file. At the end of the encoded file I've got a little cracky noise. When I encode with ffmpeg the same file I've no issue.
I would like to use an other encoder than ffmpeg because:
* There's is no de-dynamic option
* The navigation in the encoded file is slower (jump of 10 seconde for example) than with the besweet's file.

Is it possible to use oggenc2 with StaxRip?

Tank's a lot.

PS: Sorry for my english, I'm French.

See you later.

Last edited by Famille_CB; 6th November 2010 at 23:23.
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265