Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 30th September 2010, 16:17   #1  |  Link
Klagar

MP4 cutter

Hi everyone,

We are in a (rather) urgent need for a fast and reliable software that can cut mp4 videos. Does anyone have a suggestion ?

Opensource or free software would be a plus as we have little time to make funds available right now... As long as there's a minimum quality involved !

Thanks !
Klagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 16:27   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

mp4box, or YAMB if you want a GUI (kurtnoise hosts recent builds of both).
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010, 20:32   #3  |  Link
Klagar

MP4Box was my prime solution, but after trying it I saw two problems arise, as we are a demanding lot
First, MP4Box alone is too hard to operate ; I am a programmer. Most people around here are not. And they are given no time to learn how to code.
So Yamb would seem to be the solution, but it lacks two crucial elements : the ability to see the movie being cut, and the possibility to batch-render.
Unless I have explored like a newbie and missed some key features ? If so, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Otherwise, I've tried many a method to make my VirtualDub able to deal with mp4 files as with any other... Maybe there's a possibility here ?
Please don't suggest converting to other formats, that is unfortunately not an acceptable solution right now. And we already use AviDemux, but it also lacks any batch-render ; thus the need for us to look for an alternative.

Thanks as always !
Old 4th October 2010, 18:24   #4  |  Link
Lighto
The Black Reaper

I believe it can be done with AVS Cutter in MeGUI.
Lighto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 22:33   #5  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klagar View Post
And we already use AviDemux, but it also lacks any batch-render ...
Since when?
Old 13th October 2010, 18:37   #6  |  Link
Klagar

Well in fact I must correct that statement ; it does have a batch render, the thing is it's not efficient.

Each time one wants to add a job to the joblist, one must do so via the menu (there is no shortdut), each job requires a "Job name" (which is, IMO, useless) and one must specify the output file's format (file extension) each freakin' time.

What I'm looking for is a tool comparable to VirtualDub for that kind of job : you specify ONCE the folder in which your output files will be saved, it doesn't require to specify the format (since we are not encoding or converting in any way, just splitting a long movie in scenes)... In fact the perfect solution would be to have somme mod to VirtualDub that would allow it to work with mp4's, but I tried many ways and none worked.
Old 13th October 2010, 19:04   #7  |  Link
Reimar

Uh, did you read the documentation?
E.g. http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku...pting_tutorial
If that's not enough I'd suggest you'll have to adjust your requirements to reality, because you seem to want it quickly, cheap, good and user-friendly when it's usually considered a "choose at most two" thing.
Reimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 19:14   #8  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klagar View Post
Well in fact I must correct that statement ; it does have a batch render, the thing is it's not efficient.

Each time one wants to add a job to the joblist, one must do so via the menu (there is no shortdut), each job requires a "Job name" (which is, IMO, useless) and one must specify the output file's format (file extension) each freakin' time.

[..]

In fact the perfect solution would be to have somme mod to VirtualDub that would allow it to work with mp4's, but I tried many ways and none worked.
As Reimar implied, it is much easier to modify Avidemux UI to work as you want. Almost trivial, I'd say.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 20:03   #9  |  Link
Klagar

Quote:
you seem to want it quickly, cheap, good and user-friendly when it's usually considered a "choose at most two" thing.
I know, and honestly I wasn't really expecting to actually find that much. You know, just took the chance that someone somewhere would have had an epiphany or something...

The scripting tutorial you suggested looks very tempting. I'll make sure to check it out, as it might be the only option we have left if we ever need (or rather want) to make Avidemux yet even more compatible with our work methods !

Thanks a lot !
Old 18th October 2010, 02:36   #10  |  Link
Floatingshed

Quote:
In fact the perfect solution would be to have some mod to VirtualDub that would allow it to work with mp4's, but I tried many ways and none worked.
http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/DShowInputDriver-0.5.zip

will allow you to open mp4's in later versions of VDub...
Floatingshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 14:54   #11  |  Link
Klagar

I have VD version 1.9.9, but when I use this plugin, it apparently opens the file, as I can browse the timeline, but I see no image and hear no sound.
Maybe it's a codec issue ? But I can read mp4's normally in my usual players, including WMP...

Tags
cut, cutter, mp4, software