Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 27th January 2024, 14:54   #1  |  Link
avinewbie

GPU encoding of avisynyh script

Hi
I have acquired at RTX 3080 and was testing to see if my AVS+ script can be NVECC encoded as its much faster using Staxrip( latest version)

Issue: The avs script( denoise with BM3D and sharpening) do not seem to work. Instead I get an NVENCC encode to HEVC without denoising.
This is when selecting GPU decoding

Selecting Avisyth decoding in StaxRip works and NVECC encodes to HEVC a denoised video--however there is no speed advantage to standard CPU decodingandencoding of the script.( 3fps)

QUESTION (IN STAXRIP)

1)for GPU to encode a AVS+ script, is avisyth decoding mandatory?

2) The speed on NVECC encode of the script with Avisynth decode is similar to CPU decode and encode--is this normal? or indicative of some issue?

any advice?
Avinewbie

The script:
SMDegrain(tr=2,thSAD=300,thSADC=200,thSCD1=400,thSCD2=130,contrasharp=true,prefilter=8, gpuid=0, str=1.2, plane=0, refinemotion=true)
ex_unsharp(0.3,Fc=width()/2)
avinewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2024, 02:33   #2  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinewbie View Post
Hi
I have acquired at RTX 3080 and was testing to see if my AVS+ script can be NVECC encoded as its much faster using Staxrip( latest version)

Issue: The avs script( denoise with BM3D and sharpening) do not seem to work. Instead I get an NVENCC encode to HEVC without denoising.
This is when selecting GPU decoding

Selecting Avisyth decoding in StaxRip works and NVECC encodes to HEVC a denoised video--however there is no speed advantage to standard CPU decodingandencoding of the script.( 3fps)

QUESTION (IN STAXRIP)

2) The speed on NVECC encode of the script with Avisynth decode is similar to CPU decode and encode--is this normal? or indicative of some issue?

any advice?
Avinewbie

The script:
SMDegrain(tr=2,thSAD=300,thSADC=200,thSCD1=400,thSCD2=130,contrasharp=true,prefilter=8, gpuid=0, str=1.2, plane=0, refinemotion=true)
Hi, I thought you were happy using Pauly Dunne's RipBot builds...

Anyway, I would suggest that you post this on the Staxrip thread, instead of starting a new "remote" thread....

And in my limited experience with BM3D, it's not too good, and it's slow.

Just thinking out loud.

Good luck.

RipBot264 modded builds..
*new* x264 & x265 addon packs..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2024, 22:35   #3  |  Link
avinewbie

HI TDS
Yes I am using ripB but wanted to test out NVENCC with the GPU .
I thought my question would be a newbie level one regarding feeding the AVS script to NVencc.
I will try the staxrip forum as you suggest
Many Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 00:08   #4  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
I thought my question would be a newbie level one regarding feeding the AVS script to NVencc.
Quote:

any advice?
Avinewbie

The script:

In general -
1) Yes - in the sense that avisynth passes uncompressed frames to NVEncC (or any "GPU" encoder).

But the avs script can use different decoders for the source filter, including GPU decoders.

2) If you have a bottleneck (e.g. maybe some slow filters), that will limit your encoding speed

You can test the potential speed of a script using avsmeter.

e.g. if your script speed is 10 fps , you can't encode faster than the script is sending frames
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2024, 05:58   #5  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
HI TDS
Yes I am using ripB but wanted to test out NVENCC with the GPU .
I will try the staxrip forum as you suggest
Many Thanks
Good to know

I'm sure you will agree with me, it's just such a shame that Atak is too stubborn to implement different encoding options

I wish there was some way to "add" it.

RipBot264 modded builds..
*new* x264 & x265 addon packs..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2024, 19:49   #6  |  Link
avinewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
In general -
1) Yes - in the sense that avisynth passes uncompressed frames to NVEncC (or any "GPU" encoder).

But the avs script can use different decoders for the source filter, including GPU decoders.

2) If you have a bottleneck (e.g. maybe some slow filters), that will limit your encoding speed

You can test the potential speed of a script using avsmeter.

e.g. if your script speed is 10 fps , you can't encode faster than the script is sending frames
Hi PDR,

Many thanks for your reply.

Nvencc is ,I believe, supposed to be able to read AVS script. The help files do not say that reading AVS requires avisynth decoding as opposed to Hardware decoding ( when setting up the job in staxrip).

The script staxR generated is:

D:\ENCODING FILES\JAn 2024 StaxRip\StaxRip-v2.31.0-x64\Apps\Encoders\NVEncC\NVEncC64.exe" --avhw --qvbr 20 --codec h265 --preset P6 --output-depth 10 --profile main10 --bframes 5 --mv-precision q-pel -i "E:\SR TARGET\21 bridges denoise test clip\21 BRIDGES DENOISE testclip .mkv.mkv" -o "C:\Users\Ryzenpc\Desktop\21 bridges_temp\21bri Script, NVev P6 decoder AVS_out.h265"

Is there anything missing in this that might explain why the avisynth filters are not working?

(Regarding speed of the AVS script: yes I understand the filterspeed will limit the encode speed . I think one of the reasons its slow is I just realised i do not have the mtmodes.avsi script that prefetch needs in the plugins folder( forgotten to install it))

Thank you for any insight/help
avinewbie
Old 4th February 2024, 20:14   #7  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:

Nvencc is ,I believe, supposed to be able to read AVS script. The help files do not say that reading AVS requires avisynth decoding as opposed to Hardware decoding ( when setting up the job in staxrip).
Yes NVEncC has AVS support; but anything using AVS means it's decoded through AVS - whatever the script is using for the source filter and decoding (you can use GPU decoders as mentioned above - e.g. DGSource, LSmash support it)

Quote:
The script staxR generated is:

D:\ENCODING FILES\JAn 2024 StaxRip\StaxRip-v2.31.0-x64\Apps\Encoders\NVEncC\NVEncC64.exe" --avhw --qvbr 20 --codec h265 --preset P6 --output-depth 10 --profile main10 --bframes 5 --mv-precision q-pel -i "E:\SR TARGET\21 bridges denoise test clip\21 BRIDGES DENOISE testclip .mkv.mkv" -o "C:\Users\Ryzenpc\Desktop\21 bridges_temp\21bri Script, NVev P6 decoder AVS_out.h265"

Is there anything missing in this that might explain why the avisynth filters are not working?
"-i E:\SR TARGET\21 bridges denoise test clip\21 BRIDGES DENOISE testclip .mkv.mkv" means direct mkv input, so no script, no AVS

For NVEncC with AVS input, it should be --avs (avs input) instead of --avhw (libavformat + hw decode) ; and -i should be -i script.avs , not a direct video file which bypasses the script
Old 4th February 2024, 22:08   #8  |  Link
avinewbie

Thank you
I need to digest those insights. I think I understand( somewhat).

Essentially to use Avisynth filters and encode to NVENCC we need to make sure --avs is in the script, which ,in staxrip, will appear if selecting decode:avisynth/vapoursynth as the option.
if one selects HArware decode( --avhw), it will simply bypass the avisynth script.

Hope thats right?
Old 4th February 2024, 23:42   #9  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:

Essentially to use Avisynth filters and encode to NVENCC we need to make sure --avs is in the script, which ,in staxrip, will appear if selecting decode:avisynth/vapoursynth as the option.
if one selects HArware decode( --avhw), it will simply bypass the avisynth script.

Hope thats right?
--avs is for the NVEncC64 commandline, not the AVS script

I don't know about what will appear in Staxrip, but you should be able to test it pretty easily or ask in the Staxrip subforum
Old 7th February 2024, 11:51   #10  |  Link
fethiyelee

Thanks for information