Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th November 2021, 07:51   #1  |  Link
tonemapped
Video Fanatic

Still trying to work out x265's 'static grain' issue

It's really hard to demonstrate this with anything other than high quality video, but ever since using x265, I've found that grain is treated very differently - which makes sense - apart from when there is a medium grainy scene with moving content (people in a nightclub) and the grain seems 'stick' around the moving person, yet appear normal/transparent (CRF 16/1080p) everywhere else.

With my new CPU, I have decided to start encoding Supernatural (retail Blu-ray release, with heavy grain in earlier seasons) in 1080p and even setting a CRF of 16 and --tune grain (+disabling SAO) sees the problem persist.

Even setting a CRF so low that the output is higher than the source seems the problem persist.

I realise without video to see the issue, it's hard to explain, but the best way I can describe is a sort of fuzz around moving objects such as a person. SAO removes this issue, but also removes grain/perceived detail.

If you had a very grainy source (which could have done with more bitrate from the studio), what would you do? I can then produce a test encode.

Edit: I would be happy to produce 2 test encodes - one with recommended flags and one with --tune grain -- both at three-pass 6000kbps and then clip 30s from the three clips (source, encode 1, encode 2) to post here (if the rules allow, which is uncertain).

Edit: I have provided 15s video examples in this post.

NAS: SM 48-bay 240TB+ storage | Xeon 1220 | 32GB DDR4 ECC

HTPC: Pentium J5005 | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 15W

Last edited by tonemapped; 19th November 2021 at 14:25.
tonemapped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grain, x265