Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 23rd March 2020, 19:10   #1  |  Link
ravs

Converting VOBs and Linux - ffmpeg best choice?

In preparation for much free time due to Corona I ripped some DVDs into VOBs and now want to convert them using a multi-core capable Linux application.
I have some experience with ffmpeg, but I lack the knowledge of really fine-tuning the quality settings.

To me, ffmpeg seems reasonable fast, it can encode into lots of formats, but e.g. mkv seems to lack options.
The only quality setting that makes the output quality worth watching (and worth encoding) is -q:v 10

I created a script that also reduces the size for a smaller resulting file while still having a good enough quality:
Quote:
ffmpeg -v error -y -probesize 100000000 -analyzeduration 100000000 -i "$1" -q:v 10 -map 0:v -map 0:a:0 -map 0:a:1 -vf yadif,scale=w=iw/1.2:h=ih/1.2 "$(basename "$1" ${isosuffix}).mkv"
The probesize is necessary or ffmpeg gives an error since it does not find the two audio tracks.
The $isosuffix needs to be set manually (my script is stupid like that), e.g. to ".VOB"
When it is a TV recording this might be ".TS"

Any tips where I could find more info about the quality settings?

I read through all of ffmpegs documentary, e.g. ffmpeg-all.html or ffmpeg-faq.html but the info there is hardly adequate.
ravs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2020, 15:27   #2  |  Link
TheSpectre

You can remux the VOBs into an MKV container with MKVToolNix(GUI), but you won't get the chapters and index markers. My suggestion would be to re-rip the DVDs with MakeMKV (which does have a native Linux port)

Last edited by TheSpectre; 1st October 2020 at 15:27. Reason: Clarified status of MakeMKV on Linux
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffmpeg.mkv, quality settings