Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd September 2022, 19:10   #1  |  Link
maldon

How to unfold a 2.0 stereo mix to its original 4.0 channels

Yesterday, I saw some information on blu-ray.com that caught my attention: Bad Day at Black Rock was released to theaters in both mono and four-track stereo. The latter has been used for Blu-ray, with the four tracks folded down into a 2.0 mix encoded in lossless DTS-HD MA 2.0.

Is there any software that will open a stereo file to see all the discrete channels? I want to “unfold” or “De-Matrix” the mix back to its original four LCRS channels.
maldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2022, 21:30   #2  |  Link
tebasuna51

Nope.

If the track was AC3 maybe a Dolby Prologic mix can be expected, but with DTS-MA we can't expect it.
DTS-MA have the layout LCRS, if was downmixed maybe is because the surround channel was near empty.
Old 24th September 2022, 11:04   #3  |  Link
maldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Nope.

If the track was AC3 maybe a Dolby Prologic mix can be expected, but with DTS-MA we can't expect it.
DTS-MA have the layout LCRS, if was downmixed maybe is because the surround channel was near empty.
Thanks a lot, tebasuna51, but I don't understand what you mean by “If the track was AC3 maybe a Dolby Prologic mix can be expected, but with DTS-MA we can't expect it”.

AFAIK, all 4 channels are there, it's like a Dolby Stereo mix (424). So, I guess we must be able to hear the four channels with a home cinema with Dolby ProLogic: Left, Center, Right and Surround, even if the mono surround channel is almost empty (I think it was common in Cinemascope films of that era). I want to get 4 mono channels from that 2.0 stereo track and export them like LPCM 4.0 or DTS-HDMA 4.0.

I don't understand why they didn't encode it as 4 track discrete. They rarely include such a track, there are a few exceptions such as “Garden of Evil” (also Cinemascope): the also included DTS-HD Master Audio 4.0 mix (recreating the four track stereo presentation of the original theatrical exhibition). (blu-ray.com)

Last edited by maldon; 24th September 2022 at 11:07.
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:55   #4  |  Link
junh1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Nope.

Matrixed surround in stereo can be stored in any medium, analog & digital, and any codec. Since it's regular stereo audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldon View Post
Is there any software that will open a stereo file to see all the discrete channels? I want to “unfold” or “De-Matrix” the mix back to its original four LCRS channels.
WHen surround is downmixed to stereo, it's generally impossible to recover the original channels as it's not discrete anymore - dimensions are lost. Please use any surround upmixer to increase the channels. Keep in mind upmixing algorithms are subject to changes & improvements over time.

junh1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2022, 20:02   #5  |  Link
tebasuna51

See also that thread LT+RT to surround, how?
Old 6th October 2022, 10:48   #6  |  Link
maldon

Thank you very much!!!!