Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th December 2010, 17:09   #1  |  Link
Wildy

How to sync DVD audio with MKV files, because of the different fps?

Hi dear All,

I would like to sync the dubbing of a European dvd (in my case Hungarian) with an mkv file, originated from a US Blu-ray Disk, by changing the frame rate, but I had no luck finding a good script/program so far.

I'm a newbie, as you can guess by the question already (but eager to learn), and I hope my question is in the right place... I've searched high and low by now to solve this problem, and hesitated weeks to post it in the fear of getting my virtual butt kicked out of here...

I guess in the English speaking world dubbing is an unknown phenomenon, but for me and my family our native dubbing is the best to watch our favourite movies with, the well known voices of our actors paired with the unbelievable high quality of 1080p.

We're using mostly Ubuntu and mplayer, sometimes smplayer, but with those we change the frame rate in vain (maybe it's a bug, but it doesn't seem to help the synchronization of video and audio at all). Also, we have some windows systems running, so there is a wide range of possibilities for os'.

Thank you,

Kindest regards,
Ildikó
Wildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 21:42   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

I imagine that your Blu-ray disc video content is presented at either 24000/1001 (~23.976) fps or 24000/1000 (24.00) fps, because you refer to it as 1080p. The dubbed audio was likely recorded at 25000/1000 (25.00fps) even though the original content was shot at a film framerate. Slowing down the audio may sound odd, but please try slowing it down to the appropriate video framerate with eac3to and see if the sound is acceptable. If not, then you can try editing the Matroska file's header (or remuxing it with the new audio and changing the FPS) to make the video present at 25.00fps and check if the movie is watchable. One of those options is likely to be your best bet; I'd start with speeding the video because it can be done without re-encoding using only MKVMergeGUI and/or its built-in header editor.

If (unlikely) the dub was recorded at 23.976fps and then sped up to 25.00fps, then you can slow it back down with eac3to and get good audio quality.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change fps, mkv audio, sync audio and video