Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 19th August 2019, 16:41   #1641  |  Link
thxoptimizer

Er...OK...this time I didn't understand everything (Full-TAB, AR, DAR) but I keep in mind what you suggest about the Settings -> Full SBS/T&B aspect ratio.

PS : I can't send you a private message : each time I write something and I click on "submit message", it's like it's working...but I don't see anything in "Sent item" so...I assume everything I wrote is lost...
Old 19th August 2019, 17:53   #1642  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Make sure "Save a copy of this message in your Sent Items folder" is ticked when you write a PM. You can activate this option by default in the Options of your CP.
Old 20th August 2019, 18:42   #1643  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxoptimizer View Post
PS : I can't send you a private message : each time I write something and I click on "submit message", it's like it's working...but I don't see anything in "Sent item" so...I assume everything I wrote is lost...
I have received them, and replied. Maybe you have also to untick the "Receive Private Messages only from Contacts and Moderators" option ?
Old 20th August 2019, 22:09   #1644  |  Link
dm9656

Just a few words in reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Thanks for the info. However, I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. First, it should be noted that most relatively old 3D TVs (not UHD) do NOT support Full-TAB or Full-SBS. They require the half resolution, because their decoding buffers are just sufficient for 2D Full-HD. When they play a 3D movie, they have to handle two views at the same time, and therefore, they cannot do it in full resolution.
Yes, I should have mentionned my post did not apply to all TVs indeed.

Quote:
Of course, that limitation doesn't exist on UHD TVs, because their buffers are twice as large as what is needed to decode Full-3D.
Agreed, FTAB/FSBS is mainly intended to get the best out of UHD TVs.

Quote:
Also, I must admit that I don't understand why your TV shows the Full-SBS movies with less quality than Full-TAB. IMO, the two views must be cut BEFORE they are processed for the 3D display, and therefore, there is no reason to prefer one method over the other. But I trust your test. Your TV (and perhaps most or all LG TVs) has a problem with Full-TAB. That doesn't mean that the TVs made by other brands have the same problem. If would be nice to compare the two methods with, say, a Samsung UHD TV. I bet that both methods will give equivalent results.
Yes this is a bit strange and I just noticed this lately, however I have had that TV for nearly 3 years...
BTW "Your TV (and perhaps most or all LG TVs) has a problem with Full-TAB" ==> I guess you wanted to write "with Full-SBS".

Quote:
Anyway, BD3D2MK3D offers all possibilities, so you are free to use what gives the best result with your equipment.
And this is where I give you my best thanks for the excellent work
Old 20th August 2019, 22:19   #1645  |  Link
dm9656

May I give my 2 cents about how I sort the things out of this SAR/DAR complexity when I encode in FTAB (for my LG UHD TV) ?

After the 3D encoding, I use MKVToolNix with the header editor, and edit the "Video display width/height" of the video stream with the target 1920/1080 values (usually they are set to same values as "Video pixel width/height" of 1920/2160).

Maybe I could set the parameters right in BD3D2MK3D that would do it for me without tweaking, but I don't remember ever succeeding with this, and this header tweaking gives me a 100% assurance that everything will play fine on the TV.

Quote:
This is a well known problem, due to the fact that the de-facto standard for 3D SBS or TAB is not very consistent, especially for Full-SBS or Full-TAB. The aspect ratio to use is not clearly specified. Some TVs require to set the aspect ratio of the combined view, and others require the aspect ratio of the final display (16:9), and some (like my Samsung) ignore totally the AR settings and disp[lay the movie in 16:9 full-screen anyway (and this is not a bad idea, because the SBS/TAB standard REQUIRES a 16:9 movie, with the black bars if necessary, so displaying it in 16:9 anyway makes sense.)

For a good result, you may have to change the AR settings with the menu Settings -> Full SBS/T&B aspect ratio. Note that there are two AR: the DAR set in the MKV header and the SAR in the video stream, so there is a total of 4 combinations. I suggest to encode a little clip several times just to verify what setting works for your TV. You can already exclude the default settings. :-(

Note also that there is no problem in Half-SBS/TAB.
Old 21st August 2019, 22:22   #1646  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm9656 View Post
Maybe I could set the parameters right in BD3D2MK3D that would do it for me without tweaking, but I don't remember ever succeeding with this, ...
Well, just tick "Settings -> Full SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio -> Use 16:9 AR For Both (Not recommended)". That should put directly the right values for your TV in the MKV header.

Unfortunately, some TVs prefer to trust the SAR in the video stream, and AFAIK, you cannot change it without re-encoding.
Old 22nd August 2019, 00:51   #1647  |  Link
sneaker_ger

ffmpeg can change H.264 and HEVC SAR values without re-encoding.
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstr...4_005fmetadata
Old 23rd August 2019, 20:35   #1648  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. :-)
Old 24th August 2019, 23:41   #1649  |  Link
TVI

Green flash

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words.

As explained by tebasuna51, when you use the CRF encoding mode, the quality doesn't vary much, but the file size can vary, due to the difficulty to compress the images of the original movie. A CGI film like an animated Pixar movie can be compressed extremely well, because the image is very clean and without artifacts. In the other hand, old movies with much noise are very difficult to compress, because each frame is different from the previous one. So, differences in file size are not unusual, and you should not worry about them.

BTW, many peoples think that a specific bitrate is important to encode correctly, and prefer to encode in 2-pass mode for that reason, but it's totally wrong. Specifying the bitrate (in ABR or even 2-pass modes) imposes a constraint that the encoder must obey, and therefore, the quality is ALWAYS less good than the encoding in CRF mode (when it gives finally approximately the same file size, of course). The ONLY interest of 2-pass mode is therefore to control precisely the size of the final MKV file. That may be important if you need to copy it on a physical media like a DVD, but you should always avoid that mode if you don't care of the final file size.

See also my previous reply, just above this one.

Thank you very much for your helpful response (and tebasuna51).

Just one more query please. At some point during the majority of my 3D conversions there is a green flash and the 3D is thrown out of synch. It's is pretty random and can happen once or multiple times, and usually there will be another green flash and the 3D will return to normal.

Do you know why this happens? I wondered if it was something to do with checking the laptop during the conversion process?

Thank you!
Old 25th August 2019, 15:09   #1650  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Could be a decoding problem. Are you using hardware decoding? Try turning it off.
Old 25th August 2019, 18:02   #1651  |  Link
Giz..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenker View Post
Thanks for de new version.

Unfortunately I get the error message
can't read "x264bitrate"
with the version.

Under v1.9 no problems.
Tested on 2 PC with 2 images.
I too got this error, went back to 1.9. Also wondering if any testing done with AVISynth+ http://avs-plus.net/
Old 27th August 2019, 18:00   #1652  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVI View Post
Thank you very much for your helpful response (and tebasuna51).

Just one more query please. At some point during the majority of my 3D conversions there is a green flash and the 3D is thrown out of synch. It's is pretty random and can happen once or multiple times, and usually there will be another green flash and the 3D will return to normal.

Do you know why this happens? I wondered if it was something to do with checking the laptop during the conversion process?

Thank you!
That may be caused by the laptop going to sleep. x264 (and probably also x265) do not like being interrupted.

Are you sure you launch __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd and not directly __ENCODE_3D.cmd ? Also, be sure to not set your laptop to sleep mode manually during an encoding.

Anyway, normally, you can have a look at the title bar of the command prompt window when you want to see the progress of the encoding. As long as you don't launch another heavy task at the same time, everything should be fine.

Try also to turn the hardware decoding off, as suggested by sneaker_ger.

Personally, I have never has that kind of problem.
Old 27th August 2019, 18:03   #1653  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giz.. View Post
I too got this error, went back to 1.9. Also wondering if any testing done with AVISynth+ http://avs-plus.net/
Sorry, I have not much time currently. I'll fix that bug as soon as possible...

No, I'm personally not really interested in the numerous forks of avisynth. I prefer to stick to the good old bug free version. But if anisynth+ has the same syntax, you can try it yourself, simply by modifying the file name in __ENCODE_3D.cmd.
Old 28th August 2019, 02:02   #1654  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
No, I'm personally not really interested in the numerous forks of avisynth. I prefer to stick to the good old bug free version. But if anisynth+ has the same syntax, you can try it yourself, simply by modifying the file name in __ENCODE_3D.cmd.
There are nothing to modify, I'm running Avs+ (32 and 64 versions installed) without problems.

Of course the 32 version is used with 32 bits plugins used in BD3D2MK3D.

I can make a test loading FRIMSource64.dll and encoding directly with x264_x64.exe, instead use the intermediate avs2yuv.exe, to see the speed change.

Quote:
Encoding started 28/08/2019 1:56:10,66
"C:\Portable\Util\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\avs2yuv.exe" "__ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs" -frames 158712 -o - | "C:\Portable\Util\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\x264_x64.exe" --output-depth 8 --crf 23 --preset medium --sar 1:1 --range tv --colormatrix bt709 --frame-packing 3 --qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile --frames 158712 --fps 24000/1001 --output "00009_3D.264" --demuxer y4m --stdin y4m -
encoded 158712 frames, 42.01 fps, 3536.54 kb/s
Encoding finished 28/08/2019 2:59:09,86 -> 1:02:49,20

Encoding started 28/08/2019 3:03:34,12
"C:\Portable\Util\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\x264_x64.exe" --output-depth 8 --crf 23 --preset medium --sar 1:1 --range tv --colormatrix bt709 --frame-packing 3 --qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile --frames 158712 --fps 24000/1001 --output "00009_3D64.264" "__ENCODE_3D_MOVIE64.avs"
encoded 158712 frames, 49.59 fps, 3536.54 kb/s
Encoding finished 28/08/2019 3:56:55,87 -> 0:53:21,75
Can save 18% time with Avs+ 64 bits.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 28th August 2019 at 03:19.
Old 28th August 2019, 06:14   #1655  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Interesting. Thanks for your test ! Maybe I'll implement some support for Avisynth+ 64-bit, but I have to verify first that all plugins necessary for BD3D2MK3D are available.
Old 28th August 2019, 08:12   #1656  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.11

OK, I think the bug with the bitrate variable is now really fixed. Please confirm !
Quote:
v1.11 (August 28, 2019)
- Fix: Hopefully definitively fixed the bug of the uninitialized bitrate variable
- Updated BDSup2Sub++.exe to the latest version (1.0.3) and modified the link to the BDSup2Sub++ home in the Help menu
- Updated the Mkvtoolnix exes to the latest version (37.0.0 'Leave It')
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 28th August 2019, 13:45   #1657  |  Link
tebasuna51

Thanks for the new version.

All plugins (I think LoadHelper.dll is not used now, it is not needed at all) have 64 bits versions (all supported for Avs+):

DGMVCDecode.dll, libmfxsw.dll
FRIMSource.dll, libmfxsw.dll
SupCore.dll, SupTitle.dll
VSFilter.dll with a modern VSFilter.dll

Maybe you need these little tool from Groucho2004 to know if AviSynth 64 version is instaled, with both Avs+ (pool):
Quote:
AVSVersion32.exe
32 Bit: AviSynth+ 0.1 (r2772, MT, i386) (0.1.0.0)

AVSVersion64.exe
64 Bit: AviSynth+ 0.1 (r2772, MT, x86_64) (0.1.0.0)
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Tools.7z (96.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by tebasuna51; 28th August 2019 at 17:44.
Old 29th August 2019, 08:42   #1658  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Fine, thanks ! Indeed, it seems that the 64-bit version of Avisynth+ is stable. At least, it is used by a lot of peoples. I will therefore probably implement it, but that will take some time...
Old 30th August 2019, 00:51   #1659  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
... but that will take some time...
Of course, no problem.
Old 1st September 2019, 13:08   #1660  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, I did some tests with Avisynth+ 32-bit, and everything seems to work correctly, without any modification. So, I guess that using the 64-bit version will not be much more difficult.

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st September 2019 at 13:16. Reason: Stupid question removed
Closed Thread