Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 18th November 2007, 07:17   #441  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Tags in Ogg are in UTF-8, so UTF-8 to be assumed

Hi, Mosu, a small thing about mmg 2.1.0 Unicode.
The 'tags' (title info etc) in Ogg (Ogg vorbis in my case) are in UTF8,
still MMG reads it as the current ACP (wrong assumption!) to fill the Track name editbox,
resulting a broken string.
If I type a text directly into the "Track name" editbox of mmg,
mmg is happy to accept a Unicode string.
It is just that it cannot 'extract' it from Ogg.
Plus, it complains:
Warning: The Ogg/OGM file ... contains chapter or title information. Unfortunately the charset used to store this information in the file cannot be identified unambiguously. mkvmerge assumes that your system's current charset is appropriate.

This might be so for OGM, but Ogg has well-defined specs, which say Tags are written in UTF-8.
Besides, if the "Track name" editbox is used, the TITLE from Ogg is ignored, so the above warning is maybe pointless and at least confusing. Well, --chapter-charset UTF-8 does work tho...

IMHO, for texts from Ogg, UTF-8, not the Users ACP, should be assumed. Just a thought. No practical trouble at all
Thank you very much!

Last edited by Liisachan; 18th November 2007 at 07:20.
Old 21st November 2007, 12:48   #442  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

WavPack to MKV/MKA

Another thing. Tags (such as Title) at the end of .wv file are dropped when muxed to MKV/MKA, with the "Warning: wavpack_reader: non-audio block found".
Old 22nd November 2007, 02:33   #443  |  Link
dukey

could mkvextract write the audio delay in the audio filename ?
That would be useful.

Plus, how can one tell what the audio delay is for an mkv file ?
Old 22nd November 2007, 04:25   #444  |  Link
Isochroma

I second that motion.
Old 23rd November 2007, 04:23   #445  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey View Post
could mkvextract write the audio delay in the audio filename ?
That would be useful.

Plus, how can one tell what the audio delay is for an mkv file ?
I don't think mmg creates a soft delay for most audio formats, it'll pad with blank frames instead.
Old 23rd November 2007, 22:15   #446  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@foxyshadis

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I don't think mmg creates a soft delay for most audio formats, it'll pad with blank frames instead.
I know nothing about 'mmg and mkv' so it's gr8 to add an interesting thought to the database...

Pascal
Old 24th November 2007, 07:48   #447  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Really? That's what this whole thread is about, mkvmerge and mmg.

What I meant by the comment is that after you mux, you no longer have any delay at all. You could demux and sync would be maintained. I'm not sure if this is the case for all formats, but definitely is for vorbis.
Old 24th November 2007, 13:31   #448  |  Link
J_Darnley

foxyshadis is correct. The mkvmerge docs say:
Quote:
-y, --sync
Synchronize manually, delay the audio track with the id TID by d ms. The track IDs are the same as the ones given with −−identify (see section TRACK IDS).
d > 0: Pad with silent samples.
d < 0: Remove samples from the beginning.
o/p: adjust the timestamps by o/p to fix linear drifts. p defaults to 1000 if omitted. Both o and p can be floating point numbers.
Defaults: no manual sync correction (which is the same as d = 0 and o/p = 1.0).
This option can be used multiple times for an input file applying to several tracks by selecting different track IDs each time.
The silent sample only apply to vorbis tracks for AAC, AC3, DTS and MP3 it will duplicate the first frame. The docs say this list is outdated so Mosu or someone else will need to confirm.

Basically this means that once you use mkvmerge to manually sync an audio track it will be altered to be (approximately) that much longer or shorter so that if you ever need to remux you do not need to specify a delay for that track.
Old 12th December 2007, 20:39   #449  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

dont know if this has already been mentioned, but mkvmerge sometimes has not only problems with avc files, which were ran through gdsmux before, but also with some broadcasted mpeg2 files.
I remuxed about 6 of those recently and about 3-4 had a little video stutter at some frames in between. this doesnt result in sync issues though, but still looks well, not fluently when this occurs of course. its a small stop of the video 0,25-0.5 seconds, followed by a quick acceleration to have the video back in sync. this wasnt the case with the source .ts file and also not when it was remuxed with gdsmux, only after another mux with mkvmerge afterwards.
when I demux the streams with xport and then just mux them with mkvmerge then everything is fine.
Old 12th December 2007, 22:03   #450  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
dont know if this has already been mentioned, but mkvmerge sometimes has not only problems with avc files, which were ran through gdsmux before, but also with some broadcasted mpeg2 files.
I remuxed about 6 of those recently and about 3-4 had a little video stutter at some frames in between. this doesnt result in sync issues though, but still looks well, not fluently when this occurs of course. its a small stop of the video 0,25-0.5 seconds, followed by a quick acceleration to have the video back in sync. this wasnt the case with the source .ts file and also not when it was remuxed with gdsmux, only after another mux with mkvmerge afterwards.
when I demux the streams with xport and then just mux them with mkvmerge then everything is fine.
Have you tried rewriting the timestamps? Another thing worth trying would be demuxing audio and then muxing a new MKV, where video comes from the "bad" MKV and audio comes from the demuxed audio files. That has worked for me sometimes to fix stuttering issues.
Old 12th December 2007, 23:34   #451  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

i have used mkvmerge afterwards, yes, but havent tried that mixing up remuxed video and demuxed sound yet. not sure in how far mkvmerge does rewrite the timestamps automatically though, when I dont specify anything. I cant do that, because then, when I enter 23.976, 29.97 or this number in between which mpeg2repair sometimes reports (for example something like 24.53) the length is always wrong. it only works when I leave this field untouched.
Old 16th December 2007, 11:58   #452  |  Link
shambles

is there any way to to write the framerate as "24000/1001" and not "23.976" using a timecode file in mmg? i know if you demux the video es you can set it when remuxing but demuxing video when remuxing blu-ray/hd dvd (avc) is inadvisable as far as i've understood
Old 16th December 2007, 17:49   #453  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

you can use a timecode .txt file and then set the rate for example to 23.9760239, which is already quite close to what you will receive when dividing 24000/1001 with a calculator
Old 19th December 2007, 09:15   #454  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Hmmmmm... Is HD DVD/Blu-Ray mastered in 23.976 or in 24/1.001? I'm not really sure myself. Either way, the difference is really marginal...
Old 19th December 2007, 17:42   #455  |  Link
shambles

evodemux reports "Frame Rate = 23,976 (24000/1001)" for hd dvds and dgindex/dgavcindex report "Frame Rate: 23.976024 fps" for blu-rays, so i'm pretty sure they're all 24000/1001.. sure the difference is tiny but would still be nice to be able to do it right
Old 19th December 2007, 18:03   #456  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

FWIW, for a two hour movie the difference is 7.2ms... And as a comparison: One AC3 frame is usually 32ms long. So if you demux audio and video and try to find the correct audio delay and then use delaycut to achieve the final result, you can only move audio forwards/backwards by 32ms at a time. I'm saying this just to put the 7.2ms into the right perspective...

Last edited by madshi; 19th December 2007 at 18:06.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:13   #457  |  Link
shambles

i know... but i'm a perfectionist when it comes to something i feel passionately about
Old 19th December 2007, 18:22   #458  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Yeah, I see. I like perfect solutions, too.
Old 19th December 2007, 18:35   #459  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

me too
i always mux with 23.9760239 fps. Ive also demuxed some blu-ray files with mencoder (ratatouille) and here the video for example was reported to be 23.976025 fps (which is quite close to 24000/1001 as well).
Old 20th December 2007, 04:03   #460  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

By confusing 2997/125 and 24000/1001, while the audio delay is just 3.6 ms / hour which is relatively minor, you'll get a lot of subs that are off by one frame. eg. the sub that starts @ 20:51.96 will start at Frame 30018 @ 2997/125, 30017 @ 24000/1001
Closed Thread