Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 17th July 2010, 14:51   #41  |  Link
GreenEyez

A nicer GUI doesn`t remove the options, the buttons and menus are still the same as they were in the Classic GUI (and no, i don`t want t replace the Classic GUI, just offer an alternative one) , at least in my view the right click menu and options should stay the same. Stripping down functions from MPC would be a blasfemy.

Anyway, i`ll do a 4th mock-up with redesigned buttons (i have some spare time tonight) and a different color for them (maybe a grey gradiant as the Classic GUI has now) + a new speaker icon (something like this ), as indicated by Mercury_22, and leave it as it is, when and if the developers decide to offer alternative skins, i`ll develop the design left here on the thread.

And speaking of the OSD, is it possible to add an option for displaying the progress of the movie (time passed/remaining) in the OSD when Play/Pause is pressed ? It does so when using ff/rw. Or at least to display the progress bar.

Last edited by GreenEyez; 17th July 2010 at 15:08.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:52   #42  |  Link
Lys

As long as a new GUI is not the default and hidden deeply in the options, it is fine with me. The reason I use MPC instead of WMP or VLC is because of its current UI, and I don't want that to disappear.
Old 17th July 2010, 22:00   #43  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

one thing's for sure, the yellow speaker MUST go hah
Old 17th July 2010, 22:19   #44  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by roytam1 View Post
IMHO MPC-HC stands for "Media Player Classic - Homecinema" which should keep it in classical(MFC) feel and for those who wants something skinny should use splayer instead.
I agree with this one because I like the classic and clean feeling MPC-HC has, I use MPC-HC with "D3D Fullscreen" all the time and I only use the buttons skin with a custom logo.

Something that would be nice is to add buttons to the D3D fullscreen GUI like stop, next and previous but that's not a priority. Otherwise the player is just fine although some people would like something extra or different.
I think that Visual C++ 2008 feature pack gave additional customization to the MFC.

Last edited by Kado; 17th July 2010 at 22:43. Reason: You can press anywhere to play or pause!
Old 18th July 2010, 01:53   #45  |  Link
Hypernova

I thought no one would oppose the idea of keeping everything the same except change the controls to what Windows' standard UI offer. I'm totally wrong. Some of you really like the "classic". Well, there are a lot of people still prefer classic (9x-ME) UI after all.

Looking at it again, I think there are only three parts that really standout: the volume slider, the yellow speaker, and the seekbar. If those two sliders get replace with the stock Windows UI then I would call it done on "modernized" MPC-HC. I don't like any UI(s) presents in any player either, except WMP12 when it's playing video (the one I posted).

I think I read somewhere that you can already change the icons for those buttons. Anyone can point me to a nice looking set?
@Kado : Can you tell me how you get rid of the yellow speaker?
Old 18th July 2010, 03:26   #46  |  Link
Astrophizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I think I read somewhere that you can already change the icons for those buttons. Anyone can point me to a nice looking set?
@Kado : Can you tell me how you get rid of the yellow speaker?
here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=153123

and here for what Kado uses (I believe): http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...98#post1379298
Old 18th July 2010, 06:02   #47  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophizz View Post
Thank you! I should have
Old 18th July 2010, 11:27   #48  |  Link
GreenEyez

Thanks Astrophizz , the ones done by Phaser look really nice.

Anyway, i`ve finished the 4th mock-up, with redesigned buttons to look like the WMP12 ones + a new speaker icon.

Last edited by GreenEyez; 18th July 2010 at 12:26.
Old 18th July 2010, 12:10   #49  |  Link
GreenEyez

And here`s the buttons for skinning the toolbar, 32 size : http://www.mediafire.com/?iha1dfffy7ymnsj
Old 18th July 2010, 15:25   #50  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
Who gives a damn about GUI? I thought the oldschool minimalistic looks are intended.
I would much rather see the devs spending time and energy on understanding the code and fixing stuff, than adding new features or even reworking the GUI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytam1 View Post
IMHO MPC-HC stands for "Media Player Classic - Homecinema" which should keep it in classical(MFC) feel and for those who wants something skinny should use [another player] instead.
Exactly my thoughts.

And guess what, when I'm watching a video I'm looking at... the video! And not at the skin of the player, thinking things like "Wow my buttons look soooooo nice". Incredible isn't it ?

Not to mention that most of the time I'm watching videos fullscreen and I do NOT want to see any little part of a skin.

But seeing that this thread is three pages long already, I guess many people may think that's it's more important for an utility to look good rather than to have full working features.
Old 18th July 2010, 15:30   #51  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil2 View Post
I guess many people may think that's it's more important for an utility to look good rather than to have full working features.
since when can't a player do both? the main problem is that we're not in 1995 anymore, and yes the horrid GUI is unbearable to many ppl...which shouldn't matter as MPC is free anyway.
Old 18th July 2010, 16:43   #52  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPVHD View Post
The MPC-HC GUI is not horrid, only people that find it unbearable are the typical form over functionality people, who needs useless bloatware features like skins, gloss, transparency everywhere to distract them from the main purpose of watching videos.

If you need all those useless features, why not move now to WMP12/whatever player you can name? Everything is implemented there already, no need to wait.
I don't need gloss or transparency, I just want a GUI that doesn't look like I'm on Windows 95 15 years ago(when I still had hair on top of my head).

I personally love the TMT3 skin, slick and efficient! it's available for many third party players now: http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/11/term4.jpg

Do you honestly find this GUI less attractive than WMP6.4? times are changing my friend.

Last edited by Guest; 18th July 2010 at 21:36. Reason: rule 4
Old 18th July 2010, 17:02   #53  |  Link
GreenEyez

Yup, but the TMT3 interface has 2 flaws, the volume slider is hidden, and the background has 25 logos on it. Other than that, i agree, the GUI simple and practical with a nice modern design.

The best thing would be a theme repository, just like Media Browser and XMBC have, and themes should be aproved by the dev or developers.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:05   #54  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
everyone has seen how you trolled the ffdshow-tryouts thread [..] if you turned off Aero, guess what? It looks like Windows Classic.
I run XPSP3, you'll have to explain me how to enable Aero ...anyway, take care buddy, WMP6.4 is teh best of course

Last edited by Guest; 18th July 2010 at 21:34. Reason: 4: guys, no ad hominem debates, take it to PM
Old 18th July 2010, 17:06   #55  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
you're willing to use KMPlayer/Potplayer which is well known to steal code from MPC and violate the GPL license of FFmpeg
I'm also willing to use them and I actually using them sometimes. Steal code? This is not problems of the simple user. For me there is no problems as long as player free, frequently updated and has a nice dev, who doesn't mind to spend some time for implementing feature requests.

Quote:
Another thing, if you turned off Aero, guess what? It looks like Windows Classic.
No, it won't look like that by only turning aero off. You should try by yourself before posting some random googled screenshots.

EDIT:
Gabest copied GUI of the Windows Media Player. But this was years ago. If there is no interest in some GUI, it should be possible at least copy WMP look again. It doean't need to be exact with the same bugs/features.

Last edited by Guest; 18th July 2010 at 21:37. Reason: ad hominem removed
Old 18th July 2010, 17:10   #56  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post
Yup, but the TMT3 interface has 2 flaws, the volume slider is hidden, and the background has 25 logos on it. Other than that, i agree, the GUI simple and practical with a nice modern design.

The best thing would be a theme repository, just like Media Browser and XMBC have, and themes should be aproved by the dev or developers.
I've modified it in PotPlayer:

nothing's hidden as far as I can tell, and I've ditched all the background logos of course

but most of the doom9 MPC-HC users like the yellow speaker and the WMP6.4 GUI...I think you're wasting your time, "there's no school like the old school" as they say

Last edited by leeperry; 18th July 2010 at 17:28.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:37   #57  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Short responce from the dev team.

Splayer is based on mpc-hc, the patches change some of the behaviour but its the same thing on many levels.

XBMC as mentioned before, has a dsplayer implementation which is basically a refactor of mpc-hc for exclusive use in xbmc.
xbmc has a beautifull interface so the gui problem is solved there.

Skinning to some extent is possible, all the buttons can be replaced, see the wiki https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mp...Toolbar_images

The current gui is not perfect, since it copies media player 6.4 it also copies some of its design faults.
i do think that we need to update the gui in some small area's, but if/when we do so the changes have to be based on scientifically correct research. Gnome 3.0 interface guide is mostly research based and we are waiting for its release to start looking at its advice.

The changes that might occur are minor, like moving things areound a few pixels, nothing huge.

We are open to a more modern looking gui, but only if its scientifically simple and usefull and improves performance (or is at least on par)

Keep in mind that mpc-hc is intended as a quick lightweight player, all the "playlist-esque" features are not the main goal.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:41   #58  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
But I guess the form over functionality people can't accept the fact the WMP6.4 GUI is far superior to your bloatware, clumsy alternatives.
And everyone else can't understand that there no one talking about complete GUI replacement and there should be possibility to get current look.
Some dev can step in to make a GUI. Features/bugfixes? Of course this is wanted too but with current developing policy you anyway can't really expect much. So you not loosing anything.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:49   #59  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

"form over functionality"...haha, since when do you have to choose between both? anyway, I think the OP is hoping for something that will never happen. Just pretend we're still in 1995 and you'll be just fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
Skinning to some extent is possible, all the buttons can be replaced, see the wiki https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mp...Toolbar_images
the seek locator could really use a brushup IMHO.

Last edited by leeperry; 18th July 2010 at 17:52.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:57   #60  |  Link
GreenEyez

Quote:
It would be different if we didn’t have to rely on Cyberlink, or if there were open source True HD/DTS-HD MA alternatives so we had playback support in things like Media Player Classic - Home Cinema or XBMC.
Guys, he can`t read his own posts (XBMC looks like this , not like WMP 6.4, and has a lot of skins) and Anandtech was talking about Cyberlink PowerDVD not TMT3 , let alone read the posts of other people...

Anyway, tetsuo55 , thanks for the official response, it`s good to know that you are open to alternative GUIs somewhere in the future. Thanks again, and i think that the mods can close this topic.

Last edited by GreenEyez; 18th July 2010 at 18:03.
Closed Thread

Tags
mpc-hc