Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 20th July 2010, 23:02   #81  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post
When the developers will start to offering full skinning support in the future, then i`ll do the "serious" work based on these sketches.
There's hardly any active MPC coder, and there's a truckload of critical bugs to be fixed...you can skin the buttons, this is as good as it's gonna get I'm afraid. If you care about skinning(like many ppl do), why not using another player? Many of them support great skinning, there's even some official MPC branches I think? Splayer or something like that.

It's called Media Player Classic, and the doom9 ppl seem to like the yellow speaker...nothing fancy's going to happen, and the naysayers in this thread fail to see the gap between bloat and basic. I personally hate bloated GUI's, I just like simple slick ones...but this debate has happened before, and it's always ended up in a trolling feast.

Last edited by leeperry; 20th July 2010 at 23:07.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:06   #82  |  Link
GreenEyez

Quote:
i don`t know what you mean with that
I mean integration with Windows Libraries. A one button solution that takes you to your Movie/Video library in Win7. Something like the Favorites feature currently implemented in MPC.
Quote:
like i said, the gui can be changed by anyone willing and able, on the premise that it improves performance and/or code maintainability with the same speed as the current gui. this ofcouse proven through the scientific method.
And i presume there are no plans for moving to WPF ? Because the latter would make changing the UI a lot easier
Also, by scientific method, you mean testing the old GUI vs the new one for response times ?

Last edited by GreenEyez; 20th July 2010 at 23:30.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:22   #83  |  Link
GreenEyez

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
There's hardly any active MPC coder, and there's a truckload of critical bugs to be fixed...you can skin the buttons, this is as good as it's gonna get I'm afraid. If you care about skinning(like many ppl do), why not using another player? Many of them support great skinning, there's even some official MPC branches I think? Splayer or something like that.

It's called Media Player Classic, and the doom9 ppl seem to like the yellow speaker...nothing fancy's going to happen, and the naysayers in this thread fail to see the gap between bloat and basic. I personally hate bloated GUI's, I just like simple slick ones...but this debate has happened before, and it's always ended up in a trolling feast.
unfortunately, you`re right. That`s why i stopped developing on the theme sketches. The problem is that MPC-HC has been my nr1 choice of media player for both my computers and my HTPC, and my software guide for Win 7 Media Center. Many players don`t support automatic 24p switching for ex., or have support from plugins like Media Browser. And will still remain my fav player, even without themeing. I just feels like a BMW M5 trapped in a 1980 Ford body

Anyway, tetsuo55 has had very good answers to my questions, and that`s what i was expecting from the thread.

Last edited by GreenEyez; 20th July 2010 at 23:28.
Old 21st July 2010, 02:39   #84  |  Link
apathy

I'm actually fine with MPC's current GUI. I'm just wondering if it's possible to have the status, seek bar, and controls auto-hide like they would in full screen mode implemented? That way it would behave like wmp12 and would be more minimal. We don't need to see the controls, etc at all times. I'm well aware of the different modes activated by hitting 1-3 but it's not the same. I was also wondering if it was possible to implement the option to only hide the menu and not menu and caption?
Old 21st July 2010, 05:46   #85  |  Link
GreenEyez

And another good thing would be enabling the seekbar and maybe the controls to appear on remote control command. Atm, it only works when using a mouse. If you press play via a remote, the control/seek bars don`t pop-up.
Old 21st July 2010, 07:14   #86  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Thanks, very useful. Now, from what i have seen in that roadmap, are you guys planning to ditch the internal MPC-HC filters for ffdshow ?
we're going to keep internal filters, the idea is just to optimise them so we dont have a bunch of different projects doing the exact same work.
Quote:
I mean integration with Windows Libraries. A one button solution that takes you to your Movie/Video library in Win7. Something like the Favorites feature currently implemented in MPC.
sounds doable, i suggest opening a ticket for that

Quote:
And i presume there are no plans for moving to WPF ? Because the latter would make changing the UI a lot easier
Also, by scientific method, you mean testing the old GUI vs the new one for response times ?
no plans to do that no, unscientific evidence points out that its considerably slower.
As the wiki page points out, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method , a double blind test will have to prove things like memory usage, security, speed and maintainability are at least on par with mfc.

Last edited by tetsuo55; 21st July 2010 at 07:17.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:12   #87  |  Link
turbojet

A few things I'd like to see eventually that improves functionality:

1. Change the time display so it can always be read more easily (basically unreadable on TV) . Some ways to do this I thought of:
a) move time display to control bar, increase font
b) increase statusbar height, font
c) rollover shows OSD time display
d) rollover magnifier

2. Time on seekbar rollover like most flash players. Extending it to image preview like hulu's player would be nice too.

3. Dots on seekbar to signify chapter marks like hulu's player does with ad spots.
Old 21st July 2010, 09:33   #88  |  Link
stax76

A .NET WPF player takes about 500ms more to load so for instance is available after a second instead of a half second. It takes more memory but but less disk space. You can try my private player StaxPlayer if you have doubts in efficiency. The main dialog uses WinForms because of WinAPI interoperability, dialogs use WinForms which does standard controls well and the OSD uses WPF which does fancy design well. The WPF OSD is done with separate windows that sit on top of the main/video window so it's independent from renderers. DirectShow is a COM API so it can be easily used from different languages. Technically a WPF OSD for MPC would be no problem, some just would need to expose a COM SDK like DVBViewer or MediaMonkey. That's one way, GDI and DirectX would be another, even WebKit might be a option, Google builds a HTPC interface with that, it's called Google TV not released yet.

http://www.filedropper.com/staxplayer

Last edited by stax76; 21st July 2010 at 09:47.
Old 21st July 2010, 14:10   #89  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
What part of MOCK-UP or Sketch don`t you understand?
I'm judging overall design. Colors , shapes and so on. Looks very cheap and unprofessional. That's all.
I'm also against any changes in GUI. I love MPC's simplicity.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 21st July 2010 at 14:17.
Old 21st July 2010, 15:15   #90  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Very amateurish work. You are wasting your time.
Agreed, IMHO. Also, the button shadowing is physically unreal, i.e., could not occur in real life with real light.
Old 22nd July 2010, 03:31   #91  |  Link
patul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
I'm also against any changes in GUI. I love MPC's simplicity.
I second that. There's no need to add bloating codes just to add skinning support. I'm too against any changes in GUI. Leave the GUI as of now.
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:39   #92  |  Link
73ChargerFan

I'd like to see the seek-bar & current/total time pop-up when I hit PAUSE on the remote, then auto- disappear a few seconds later.

I am not a fan of the current UI. The buttons are too small on my 58" screen, top menus can't be seen and don't appear/disappear, the D3D full-screen seek-bar looks old-fashioned even for 1982, and the right-click menu is way too complicated.
Old 23rd July 2010, 00:35   #93  |  Link
niksus

Keeping the ancient GUI just drives away new users. I don't like it either nor I care for the small footprint - it's the 21st Century after all, with its modern computers and modern OS's.
And while targeting geeks and resource zealots only, the user base is getting smaller, affecting the popularity - thus no "fresh" developers either.
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:02   #94  |  Link
Ronin-7

I agree with the others, nothing wrong with MPC-HC GUI leave it alone, VLC has a similar GUI and that certainly hasn't affected its popularity. There are plenty of other players out there for those that dislike the way MPC-HC looks or operates.

The only thing that might be worth doing is a lick of paint like VLC recently did for it's GUI no major redesign just fresh icons/graphics for the controls.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:25   #95  |  Link
Octo-puss

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksus View Post
Keeping the ancient GUI just drives away new users. I don't like it either nor I care for the small footprint - it's the 21st Century after all, with its modern computers and modern OS's.
And while targeting geeks and resource zealots only, the user base is getting smaller, affecting the popularity - thus no "fresh" developers either.
But this player is not for nubs who use WMP. Simple as that.
Leave the GUI be!!!
21st century doesn't mean animated buttons in highcolor!
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:48   #96  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Exactly! We don't need another Winamp.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:13   #97  |  Link
Selur

btw. does any one know if there's hope that MPC-HC will get the frame back when caption is disabled?
Wwas changed in Changeset 1622 and there's also a request to reverse it or at least add it as an option, see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mpc-hc/ticket/263
Since the ticket is 6month+ old, I'm thinking about ditching mpc-hc more and more.
I really like MPC-HC, but really don't like frameless windows so I can't use a current mpc-hc version atm.
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:24   #98  |  Link
iron2000
Questioning User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
btw. does any one know if there's hope that MPC-HC will get the frame back when caption is disabled?
Wwas changed in Changeset 1622 and there's also a request to reverse it or at least add it as an option, see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mpc-hc/ticket/263
Since the ticket is 6month+ old, I'm thinking about ditching mpc-hc more and more.
I really like MPC-HC, but really don't like frameless windows so I can't use a current mpc-hc version atm.
Would be nice to be able to hide the menu bar only instead of window frame + menu bar.
Old 26th July 2010, 08:24   #99  |  Link
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksus View Post
i agree. However there could be a choice of GUI.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:47   #100  |  Link
laxu

MPC could really use a better GUI. As far as functionality, it's fine. The issue is that it looks like a Win95 program. It wouldn't be all that hard to make it it look like a native Win7 software.

For usability's sake, play and pause could be combined into one button and I'm not sure if the next/previous/increase speed/decrease speed/step buttons are necessary at all since most probably just open a single video file from a file browser.

I like what Mirillis are doing with their Splash player. It looks great and has some very cool feature like the preview images for jumping on the timeline. Something like that would be welcome in MPC as well. Maybe it's time to drop that C and just call it MPHC.
Closed Thread

Tags
mpc-hc