Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 7th February 2012, 03:20   #21  |  Link
andybkma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Vergheles View Post

andybkma, that's not a bug, because format is h:min:sec;frame, so the latest digits are frames.
Ah, thank you. That works much better now

Am curious to know if you plan to add .flv support in the near future? Any .flv file I try gives me error "source file is not supported or damaged". If you added support for this type of file that would then make your lossless splitter the most complete and excellent in the marketplace...

Edit: Did have problems testing with MPEG-1 files (tried more than one). The little window "now splitting the sequence..." would often hang around 20%-50% and would not finish splitting the file. Thankfully I hardly ever need to losslessly split mpeg-1 files anymore but I thought I would report this problem just the same...

Last edited by andybkma; 7th February 2012 at 03:33.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 20:24   #22  |  Link
Maccara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 145
VFR support?
Maccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 22:24   #23  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles
Registered User
 
Dmitry Vergheles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Ah, thank you. That works much better now

Am curious to know if you plan to add .flv support in the near future? Any .flv file I try gives me error "source file is not supported or damaged". If you added support for this type of file that would then make your lossless splitter the most complete and excellent in the marketplace...

Edit: Did have problems testing with MPEG-1 files (tried more than one). The little window "now splitting the sequence..." would often hang around 20%-50% and would not finish splitting the file. Thankfully I hardly ever need to losslessly split mpeg-1 files anymore but I thought I would report this problem just the same...
Yes, FLV are in todo list.
As for slow editing of MPEG, I think it is a new problem to be intoduced quite recently. should be sixed shortly.
__________________
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Dmitry Vergheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 22:26   #24  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles
Registered User
 
Dmitry Vergheles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccara View Post
VFR support?
Do you mean variable frame rate? is so - should be supported as we keep most part or original data (99%) unaltered
__________________
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Dmitry Vergheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 16:12   #25  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles
Registered User
 
Dmitry Vergheles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 333
we published delailed guideline - How to edit AVCHD (MTS/M2TS) files captured by Camcorders with SolveigMM
__________________
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Dmitry Vergheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 07:04   #26  |  Link
Maccara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry Vergheles View Post
Do you mean variable frame rate? is so - should be supported as we keep most part or original data (99%) unaltered
Yes, variable frame rate. I asked, because I have never seen (commercial) software support (or work even by accident) VFR unless it is specifically mentioned as a feature.

I have to give it a spin at some point, then.
Maccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 10:03   #27  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles
Registered User
 
Dmitry Vergheles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccara View Post
Yes, variable frame rate. I asked, because I have never seen (commercial) software support (or work even by accident) VFR unless it is specifically mentioned as a feature.

I have to give it a spin at some point, then.
Well probably we should claim that as a feature. We would appretiate if you try that with such a file, and upload us such a sample. We've tested mostly vfr with Windows media - as screen codec always produce such a video.
__________________
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Dmitry Vergheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 16:23   #28  |  Link
jakmal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 51
Issue with Interlaced H.264 in MKVs?

I was trying to do some trimming operations (not at a keyframe boundary) with an interlaced H.264 MKV here:

http://www.4shared.com/video/eCsT9qK...min_HD_i_.html

I was able to generate a MKV which plays in VLC, but the output is a blank screen with MPC-HC (latest stable version on SourceForge). The original MKV plays back fine in both VLC and MPC-HC. I suspect there is some issue with the MKV remux code in the software, but it would be nice to confirm the issue (and see if it needs to be passed on to the MPC-HC devs or it is something for SolveigMM to fix).

I had no such trouble with a 720p24 clip in the MOV container.
__________________

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
jakmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 18:04   #29  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles
Registered User
 
Dmitry Vergheles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 333
Hi jakmal,
Thank you, we'll check that.
__________________
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Dmitry Vergheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 08:18   #30  |  Link
CruNcher
Registered User
 
CruNcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,926
just a little success story

i was in a hurry to fast cut something because of size reasons (cloud storage) and SolveigMM Video Splitter achieved that .mp4 H.264 cut goal perfectly with keeping the last frame alive

not sure if Video Splitter actually via direct brian connection told me exactly where to cut to reach that very exact size on the first try

which also makes me wonder if you couldn't actually as a feature request calculate the final estimated file size of a fragment and show it someway to the user ?
Maybe displaying the estimated filesize of the fragment in its fragment bar directly
__________________
all my compares are riddles so please try to decipher them yourselves :)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 15th February 2012 at 08:31.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 18:18   #31  |  Link
eddman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 77
How does it handle I-frames? For example, avidemux can't export/save a file if a segment doesn't start with an I-farme, so you have to be very accurate and make sure each cut starts with an I-frame.

Last edited by eddman; 29th February 2012 at 18:21.
eddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:19   #32  |  Link
Stanislav Mikhailenko
Registered User
 
Stanislav Mikhailenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddman View Post
How does it handle I-frames? For example, avidemux can't export/save a file if a segment doesn't start with an I-farme, so you have to be very accurate and make sure each cut starts with an I-frame.
It reencodes first GOP(group of pictures between I-frames) if cut starts not from I-frame. And sometimes reencodes last GOP.

This makes trimming frame accurate. You can make cut exactly from frame you have selected, even if it is not I-frame.
__________________
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Stanislav Mikhailenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:13   #33  |  Link
CruNcher
Registered User
 
CruNcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,926
Yep thus also it shouldn't be used for test samples of different encoders as you would compare in the worst case Elecards with your target Encoder and not the Encoder who initially did the GOP though normaly you dont cut your test sequences and if you do you know about this anyways and would only cut appropriately or use something without Frame Accuracy support
__________________
all my compares are riddles so please try to decipher them yourselves :)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 02:50   #34  |  Link
eddman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislav Mikhailenko View Post
It reencodes first GOP(group of pictures between I-frames) if cut starts not from I-frame. And sometimes reencodes last GOP.

This makes trimming frame accurate. You can make cut exactly from frame you have selected, even if it is not I-frame.
Hmm, very neat, but how does it know what settings to use? Does it detect the settings that were used for encoding the video and then tries to use the exact settings, or it just uses some default settings?

Last edited by eddman; 4th March 2012 at 02:53.
eddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 17:30   #35  |  Link
CruNcher
Registered User
 
CruNcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddman View Post
Hmm, very neat, but how does it know what settings to use? Does it detect the settings that were used for encoding the video and then tries to use the exact settings, or it just uses some default settings?
Nice question indeed i guess they are smart enough to analyze the base bitstream to some degree and use those settings though to be sure you could do a simple test encode Cut such a GOP that you know will be reencoded and then analyze it to find out if they matched the initial encoder settings or if they use something similar especially in the case of x264 it would be very easy to match as it gives you the metadata in the user_sei without needing to analyze anything further on the bitstream level @ all .
__________________
all my compares are riddles so please try to decipher them yourselves :)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 4th March 2012 at 17:36.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 04:45   #36  |  Link
rob4eiwt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
I tried SolveigMM and while there are some nice things there are some major interface issues.

Good:
Splits files and keeps audio in sync. I'm surprised at how many splitters out in the wild can't keep audio in sync
Video preview. Many other splitters require you to enter a time
Option to save fragments, invert selections.
Thumbnails/storyboard

Bad:
Difficult to select marker without moving it. These 2 functions should be separated as many other editors do: selecting and moving. When trying to get to a marker by clicking on it you will often end up moving it a little unless you hold your mouse perfectly still. This is annoying and can be solved by better design. For example clicking on marker will pop up a drag icon underneath it, the drag marker is then used to make adjustments. Clicking on same marker again will make drag icon disappear or it will also disappear when you clicking on a different marker because newly clicked marker gets the drag icon.
Difficult to select closely placed markers, especially difficult when markers overlap. Need: Marker navigation buttons. Other editors typically have buttons that let you go to the marker instead of having to click on it. Something like 2 buttons: 'go to next right marker' and 'go to next left marker'.
Difficult to tell what navigation controls such as play/next frame/etc will move: marker or slider. For example, open a file, go to middle of video and set a marker. Take a screenshot and tell me what will move when you press play. Now click on the marker in middle. Take a screenshot again and tell me what will move when you press play. The screenshots will look very alike but different things will happen. This is bad design. If you show the 2 screenshots to someone new to your program they should be able to tell right away without studying the interface. In the second case, the line under the slider is still blinking which makes you think the video preview corresponds to the slider when it does not, the slider is still orange when it should be greyed out or otherwise marked as inactive, and the marker which you clicked on should somehow be emphasized such as with overlay icon or being circled, etc.
Smart mode/frame accuracy is always enabled. All options under control menu should stick, but after closing and restarting the program, Smart mode is enabled again even if you disabled it. Some people might not want any re-encoding.
Help suggestion: you should have a page explaining what GoP is, what k-frames are and what smart mode means. It's a good feature. If you label your controls 'next k-frame' then the meaning of that should be explained somewhere
rob4eiwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 10:00   #37  |  Link
Stanislav Mikhailenko
Registered User
 
Stanislav Mikhailenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post
I was trying to do some trimming operations (not at a keyframe boundary) with an interlaced H.264 MKV here:

http://www.4shared.com/video/eCsT9qK...min_HD_i_.html

I was able to generate a MKV which plays in VLC, but the output is a blank screen with MPC-HC (latest stable version on SourceForge). The original MKV plays back fine in both VLC and MPC-HC. I suspect there is some issue with the MKV remux code in the software, but it would be nice to confirm the issue (and see if it needs to be passed on to the MPC-HC devs or it is something for SolveigMM to fix).

I had no such trouble with a 720p24 clip in the MOV container.
Hello jakmal,

Latest version of video splitter had some bugs on this file so i was unable to trimm it not from K-frame.

There is fix available:

SolveigMM_Video_Splitter_3_0_Beta

Could you check it on your side?

If issue still exists:

Could you point which interval you've selected to trimm,

Also MPC uses some externals filters, that could be installed on your system.

I need to know which ones.

Play->Filters will show filters that was used.
on each filter there should be Properties menu.
If you will provide screenshoots of propties pages for these filters it will be more fast to find out what's wrong.

Thanks.
__________________
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Stanislav Mikhailenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:52   #38  |  Link
hajj_3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,135
33.50 vs 61 (videoredo tv suite). Nice value compared to their application! Your interface is VERY nice! I just tried using your software, the audio was kept in sync which wasn't in videoredo BUT it look me several minutes to figure out how to cut, i was unable to select a section of the video. I still don't know how i managed to set the start and end times to select, not intuitive at all! Out of curiousity what happens with version numbers, upgrade costs etc? V3.x will be free upgrades, v4.x will require an upgrade fee? Any lifetime subscription option of say €80.

Last edited by hajj_3; 13th March 2012 at 12:10.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 14:14   #39  |  Link
Stanislav Mikhailenko
Registered User
 
Stanislav Mikhailenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
33.50 vs 61 (videoredo tv suite). Nice value compared to their application! Your interface is VERY nice! I just tried using your software, the audio was kept in sync which wasn't in videoredo BUT it look me several minutes to figure out how to cut, i was unable to select a section of the video. I still don't know how i managed to set the start and end times to select, not intuitive at all! Out of curiousity what happens with version numbers, upgrade costs etc? V3.x will be free upgrades, v4.x will require an upgrade fee? Any lifetime subscription option of say 80.
Hello hajj_3,

Thanks for feedback.

Customers are entitled to free upgrades within the major version of the product.

V3.x - will be free upgrades,
v4.x - will require additional fee with 50% discount.
if v3.x purchased not earlier than one month before v4.0 release it can be upgraded for free to v4.0

For now there is no lifetime subscription.
__________________
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Stanislav Mikhailenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 16:08   #40  |  Link
Dmitry Vergheles
Registered User
 
Dmitry Vergheles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 333
Splitter 3.3 Beta with support of WEBM, VP8 video files Frame / Key frame editing is available.

We appretiate any coments/hints/bug reports concerning new features.
http://solveigmm.com/files/SolveigMM...07_11_Beta.exe

__________________
Regards,
Dmitry Vergeles
Solveig Multimedia - Video Editing Software
Dmitry Vergheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.