Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 28th April 2011, 16:28   #1  |  Link
kurkosdr

Open source DVD decrypter that can defeat modern copy protections?

Hi there.

Is there any open source DVD decrypter that can defeat the copy protections new DVDs have? Or it's just DVD Fab HD Decrypter?

DVD Shrink is a nice tool, but it can't beat any of the modern copy protections Hollywood has thrown our way, so I was hoping if there was something better. Will DumpHD do the job?

I find it weird that there are so many open source tools that can beat the protections of Bluray, yet nothing seems to exist for DVD.

The reason I want such tool is to copy some DVDs I have in my collection, whose copy protections cause problems with some standalone players (a Sony, mainly). Arcoss and Star Trek's corrupted filesystem seem to be the most troublesome, so it would be nice if there was an open source tool that can remove those.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 02:27   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!

Have you had any insurmountable problems using (freeware) DVDFab HD Decrypter?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 14:13   #3  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Hi!

Well, kind of. The main problem is that I can't port it to Ubuntu/Mint or Mac OS X. (Yes I know, use wine, but it's not a long term fix) I was hoping for an open source tool that would act as the "universal program" for DVD decrypting, in the same way x264 acts as the universal program for Mpeg 4 avc encoding.

What's the most advanced open source DVD decrypter as of now? Is there any?
Old 29th April 2011, 16:07   #4  |  Link
HWK

DVDFab HD Decrypter (Freeware) isn't updated at least 60 to 90 days after their program release which you have to pay for.

MakeMKV might work for you. But it is not open source or free. But for Dvd portion it is gone be free. Also it can natively work Windows, Mac and Linux

Last edited by HWK; 29th April 2011 at 16:14.
HWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 17:42   #5  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
MakeMKV might work for you. But it is not open source or free. But for Dvd portion it is gone be free. Also it can natively work Windows, Mac and Linux
Don't want to nitpick, but MakeMKV is a converter (imposes conversion to mkv), and not a decrypter (bit-by-bit copy of the playable data).

But thanks for mentioning it, as it's still an alternative.

Anything else?
Old 29th April 2011, 19:40   #6  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
The main problem is that I can't port it to Ubuntu/Mint or Mac OS X.
Is there any reason that you didn't mention this in your initial post to this thread?

Look into "Handbrake" for your Mac...
Old 30th April 2011, 09:41   #7  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr
Don't want to nitpick, but MakeMKV is a converter (imposes conversion to mkv), and not a decrypter (bit-by-bit copy of the playable data).
Actually, MakeMKV does a bit-by-bit copy of the playable data from one container to another while removing the copy protection.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:49   #8  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR03 View Post
Actually, MakeMKV does a bit-by-bit copy of the playable data from one container to another while removing the copy protection.
Isn't this going to remove the menus, thus making director commentary (and other interactive features like image galleries) un-accessible?

I just want copy 10 DVDs I have in my collection to DVD R DLs, without losing any playable data. I don't want to switch formats, compress them or change containers. Just like good ol' DVD Fab HD decrypter for Windows does.

Is there any open source software for that?

Last edited by kurkosdr; 2nd May 2011 at 12:52.
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:02   #9  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You can checkout K9Copy. Its open source (only linux, afaik), and can decrypt, and burn on either a -DL disc or shrink it to fit a single layer disc.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:49   #10  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You can checkout K9Copy. Its open source (only linux, afaik), and can decrypt, and burn on either a -DL disc or shrink it to fit a single layer disc.
The main problem with K9 copy is that it doesn't defeat modern copy protections like Arccos and Corrupted TOC, which is exactly the kind of protections I want to beat, because they make two of my standalones act weird (CSS is not a problem, as it plays fine even in very old standalones, because it's part of the spec). K9 Copy however, only defeats CSS.

If I wanted to copy the DVDs of my collection which utilize only CSS (and no Arccos or corrupted TOC), then even the ancient DeCSS would do the job.

The problem is with DVDs that have Arcoss and corrupted TOC, which insert errors in the disc that cause programs like K9 and DeCSS to choke badly.

In fact, the only programs that I know that can defeat these two protections (and don't change the container/format) are AnyDVD and DVD Fab. So I don't have much hope. But if you know something, please please post.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 2nd May 2011 at 14:54.
Old 3rd May 2011, 05:39   #11  |  Link
Chetwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
DVD Shrink is a nice tool, but
not open source.

Quote:
Isn't this going to remove the menus, thus making director commentary (and other interactive features like image galleries) un-accessible?
The director's comment is just another audio stream which can be selected without any menu by cycling through all streams present in the file. Of course image galleries are a different matter.

MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink
: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller ‹bersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Chetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:33   #12  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetwood View Post
not open source.
Yeah, but there is an open source clone of it known as K9 copy. That's good enough for me.

The real problem is with Arcoss. Linuxeros have managed to copy Arcoss-protected DVDs with K9 copy by setting the sector skip to something like 10240KB and have the program muddle through the "corrupt" parts of the disc, but I don't want to torture my DVD drive (and my nerves) this way. Plus, usefull content may (and most most possibly will) be skipped this way...

Last edited by kurkosdr; 3rd May 2011 at 18:38.
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:40   #13  |  Link
kurkosdr

Don't know about you, but it makes me feel sad that the only programs that can defeat modern DVD protections without shifting container/formats (AnyDVD, DVD Fab) are available only in Windows. Forget about Linux, there aren't programs even for Mac.

Also, forget about open source. As it seems, I can't find a program that can copy modern DVDs (without dropping the menus) for Mac even as a paid program.

Quote:
Doesn't run on Mac.
Old 4th May 2011, 02:42   #14  |  Link
cynthia_old
Unadvanced Newbie

Quote:
there aren't programs even for Mac.
for Mac even as a paid program.
Mac The Ripper, have you tried that one?
cynthia_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 10:44   #15  |  Link
SledgeHammer_999

Does anyone now if the current version of libdvdnav(from mplayer/vlc) can defeat these protections?
If yes, how hard will it be to create a dvd decrypter using libdvdnav?
SledgeHammer_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 16:00   #16  |  Link
kurkosdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer_999 View Post
Does anyone now if the current version of libdvdnav(from mplayer/vlc) can defeat these protections?
If yes, how hard will it be to create a dvd decrypter using libdvdnav?
Since the protections insert disc errors in parts of the disc that don't contain any playable data and thus are never accessed during playback (Arcoss, Ripguard), or insert phantom files that are never accessed during playback too (corrupted toc), libdvdnav can defeat these protections. All of my Arcoss/corrupted toc protected DVDs play succesfully with VLC (I don't have AnyDVD installed).

The challenge would be using libdvdnav in such way that no useful content is left out, such as extras, audio commentaries or interactive 'tour around the set' features, like Van Helsing's (2004) castle tour.

BTW DVDFab has a similar feature called PathPlayer. Too bad it's only for Windows.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 4th May 2011 at 18:59.
Old 4th May 2011, 23:47   #17  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Quote:
Since the protections insert disc errors in parts of the disc that don't contain any playable data and thus are never accessed during playback (Arcoss, Ripguard), or insert phantom files that are never accessed during playback too (corrupted toc), libdvdnav can defeat these protections. All of my Arcoss/corrupted toc protected DVDs play succesfully with VLC (I don't have AnyDVD installed).

The challenge would be using libdvdnav in such way that no useful content is left out, such as extras, audio commentaries or interactive 'tour around the set' features, like Van Helsing's (2004) castle tour.

BTW DVDFab has a similar feature called PathPlayer. Too bad it's only for Windows.
I've thought about using dvdnav to create such a ripper. One possible way to do this is to recursively follow every possible path through the menus to see what content they lead to, then rip all the content you run into this way. The "recursive" part is something dvdnav can't do in it's current state, but I created a patch that would allow this (which was submitted to the dvdnav mailing list but hasn't made it's way into svn yet). https://trac.handbrake.fr/browser/tr...dnav-dup.patch

Basically the patch allows you to duplicate the state of dvdnav (take a snapshot) so that you can return to that state later. HandBrake uses this to recursively walk the menus when searching for the main title of the disc.

You would also probably need to keep a map of sectors already ripped while traversing the disc so that you don't rip the same sectors multiple times. The same content may be accessed from multiple paths in the menus.
JohnAStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 00:04   #18  |  Link
setarip_old

@kurkosdr

Check out the Linux effort by "spotter", a few months back (read the entire thread):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...82#post1451182
Old 5th May 2011, 10:50   #19  |  Link
SledgeHammer_999

Interentsing...
But if you don't want to do a full disc copy and only rip the main title would it be possible through current libdvdnav interface?
Unfortunately I don't have time to make a test program for this "open source dvd ripper" dream :s

PS: Where the hell is libdvdnav currently being developed?(link) Google returns the old dvd.sourforge.net location...
SledgeHammer_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 16:19   #20  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer_999 View Post
PS: Where the hell is libdvdnav currently being developed?(link) Google returns the old dvd.sourforge.net location...
There's some mplayer folks still maintaining (using that word rather loosely) a fork of dvdread and dvdnav. This is where I have been contributing patches.

ML: https://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/l...dvdnav-discuss

When Attila decided to leave the project, there was a bit of a shakeup in the repository location. I don't know which is official, but both of these seem to be active.
git://ffmpeg.org/dvdnav
svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav/trunk
JohnAStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arcoss, copy protections, open, source, tool