Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 9th September 2009, 01:22   #61  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post
Yikes, I'm jealous of you Americans..

in Canada, the cheapest BD-R media I've come across is $4 per disc (In Canadian dollars), and that's a brand known as 'Microboards': https://www.blankmedia.ca/prodsubcats.asp?id=171

Anything less the $3 per disc is a bargain for me..
I wonder what the media code is on their BD-R media. Microboard uses Taiyo Yuden for its DVDs.
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 12:55   #62  |  Link
Wolfe999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe999 View Post
@ Mediogre: Thank you very much for the Rakuten link. I was a little bit afraid and "only" bought 80 TDK's. Indeed it's cheap. Though I still haven't received the e-mail with the definitive shipping expenses, I think the end price for each BD-R will be around 2,60. Unimaginable prices to buy from Europe... at least to my knowledge. Cross my fingers they are good media (they are manufactured by Imation).
BEWARE European residents and (I suppose, though I'm not sure) North American residents too. I just received a call from the guy from DHL, the international courier through which the order was sent, from Spain's Customs and I'll have to pay around 90 of customs for the 80 BD-R I bought, so the end price will be around 4 each BD-R. Not too expensive but in no way cheap. I know this is kind of a lottery, because many times I passed customs withouth paying anything... So, you are warned.

Good luck

Of course, I won't be buying anymore from Japan. I'll try to find something cheap (difficult) from Europe or from the States, as my sister or I go frequently there and can bring it directly with no customs hassle.

Edit: somo typos

Last edited by Wolfe999; 9th September 2009 at 16:01.
Wolfe999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 21:28   #63  |  Link
Chefkoch_ico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe999 View Post
BEWARE European residents and (I suppose, though I'm not sure) North American residents too. I just received a call from the guy from DHL, the international courier through which the order was sent, from Spain's Customs and I'll have to pay around 90 of customs for the 80 BD-R I bought, so the end price will be around 4 each BD-R. Not too expensive but in no way cheap. I know this is kind of a lottery, because many times I passed customs withouth paying anything... So, you are warned.

Good luck

Of course, I won't be buying anymore from Japan. I'll try to find something cheap (difficult) from Europe or from the States, as my sister or I go frequently there and can bring it directly with no customs hassle.

Edit: somo typos
Just be careful taht you stay under 150 EUR, below that you dont have to pay customs.

What you need to pay is the tax, but if you get lucky, you dont even have to pay this.

Bye
Chefkoch_ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 21:49   #64  |  Link
hoju3508

Last day at Fry's (in-store) for Memorex's BD-25 15 pack for $29.99 (~$2 a piece).
hoju3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 08:18   #65  |  Link
DVD Maniac

[QUOTE

Edit: somo typos[/QUOTE]

Or you could avoid ALL this hassle, cost, waste of time, being ripped off etc etc by switching to HDD!
DVD Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 09:18   #66  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Maniac View Post
Or you could avoid ALL this hassle, cost, waste of time, being ripped off etc etc by switching to HDD!
So you can easier loose the whole collection should the HDD fail - and it will as the drives of today are worse built than their predecesors ...
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 11:35   #67  |  Link
dazmac

been using picasso silver inkjet 25gb bd discs all worked flawless 20 for 10

daz
dazmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 14:08   #68  |  Link
therat

I can't believe how cheap Blu-ray 25G media is overseas. Here in Oz it's still too expensive to even bother about thinking a Blu-ray burner. A pack of 5 Verbatim costs $AUD 79.00

No wonder dealers are only selling Blu-ray/DVD combo drives.

cheers
therat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 19:11   #69  |  Link
pbeumer2001

Here in Holland/Germany the prices are dropping each month. 10 Varion 25 GB now cost 17,50 euro. That`s 25 USD.
pbeumer2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:18   #70  |  Link
DVD Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
So you can easier loose the whole collection should the HDD fail - and it will as the drives of today are worse built than their predecesors ...
I never once had a (Full) catastrophic HDD failure and ive been through a few as drive capacities have increased and per GB has dropped sharply. Sure, the odd partition failure or a bad sector appearing which are all repairable easily. The likelihood of the entire drive failing without warning is for me so unlikely that the benefits out weigh the significant downsides of the optical burning lottery. Carefully sourced kit with error prediction support and you are sorted.

Have you tried playing one of your old discs in your library which you haven't watched for ages, one which played just fine the last time? I've got lots of those - half don't play at all and most have errors on them which seem to get worse over time. Have you counted how many coasters you have burned over time (and all the time wasted in testing and reburning the damn things!)

Optical storage (at least on consumer blanks) sucks period
Old 15th September 2009, 14:21   #71  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I never once had a (Full) catastrophic HDD failure and ive been through a few as drive capacities have increased and per GB has dropped sharply. Sure, the odd partition failure or a bad sector appearing which are all repairable easily. The likelihood of the entire drive failing without warning is for me so unlikely that the benefits out weigh the significant downsides of the optical burning lottery. Carefully sourced kit with error prediction support and you are sorted.

Have you tried playing one of your old discs in your library which you haven't watched for ages, one which played just fine the last time? I've got lots of those - half don't play at all and most have errors on them which seem to get worse over time. Have you counted how many coasters you have burned over time (and all the time wasted in testing and reburning the damn things!)

Well for me, at least, the answer is pretty much none and none. If a disc fails to play back typically its caused by a bad drive either during the write or during the read. So I just buy a good quality burner instead of one of the cheap ones (Sony right now).

Optical discs are very, very reliable -- and so are hard drives. So the argument becomes a matter of preference-- and nobody can win an argument over preference.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th September 2009 at 16:13.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:42   #72  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:

I dont have my camera here at hands,
A picture might give you an impression how durable and longlasting HDDs are
Almost one feet high broken HDDs.
And yes, i have some running since 1998 and others died in a 2 years lifespan.
What does this tell you? Nothing is secure. Not your life, nor computers.
It all depends on your backup strategy.
And yes, I'm using DVDs too.
And no, no LAN Partys, no carrying around, bouncing, rocking, etc...
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 20:56   #73  |  Link
GaPony

I use both good burners and good media. The few pennies spent on buying good quality stuff saves time and money in the long run. Except for the first few DVDs I copied as a rookie, when I used cheap media, I haven't had an issue on any DVD copies I've made over the past 5 or 6 years.

I've had hard drives fail, very seldom, but it happens. Backup, backup, and backup. Maintain your system, keep it clean and keep things cool, you won't have many things break prematurely. Using consumer drives in RAID is just asking for trouble. A foot high stack of broken drives tells me you're either doing something wrong, or can't bring yourself to throw anything away.

Died in a 2 year lifespan? Sounds like a warranty claim to me.

I keep all my movies on HDD, DVD and Blu-Ray alike. I also put them all on disc. I'm not sure which is backing up which, but I'm confident I can play any movie I have, whenever I want.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:57   #74  |  Link
DVD Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Well for me, at least, the answer is pretty much none and none. If a disc fails to play back typically its caused by a bad drive either during the write or during the read. So I just buy a good quality burner instead of one of the cheap ones (Sony right now).

Optical discs are very, very reliable -- and so are hard drives. So the argument becomes a matter of preference-- and nobody can win an argument over preference.
jdobbs forever the polite mediator! Maybe I have just been unlucky, but ive played the high quality / compatible burner + blank + player combo game to death and lost every time.

Oh look! That disc that played just fine last time on my old DVD set-top refuses to play now. Put the disc back in the same drive that quality checked it last time and oh! what a surprise - full of errors now and a quality control graph looking like a 2-D cross section of the frickin Rocky Mountains! ....Another coaster to add to the pile....

But like you say, its down to preference....now, where's that pile of coasters I need to shred....
Old 15th September 2009, 21:01   #75  |  Link
GaPony

Can you send me some of those coasters? I'm having a party and want my tables to stay tidy.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:18   #76  |  Link
DVD Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
Can you send me some of those coasters? I'm having a party and want my tables to stay tidy.
Sure, hope you gotta lot of BIG tables to cover cos my coaster pile has ice on the top of it and mountain climbers looking for their next big challenge. Have to shake the buggers off it every time I need to move it.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:42   #77  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
1. I did recently a test on my first DVDRs from 2005. Still way below the error margins (PIEs were at the time some 30-60, now 60-90, same PIFs, about the same total errors). Probably another 5 years of carefree storage (PIE<=280, but most devices can endure up to 400 even 600) ...

2. Maybe you should have burned'em at 4x max. I don't care if people say they got good burns at 16x, I burned always at 4x (except for the first ones which were 1x or 2x) and this never failed me. The same goes for CDRs, 1x for audio (sometimes 4x with cheap CDRs, you know, car copies, which usually got scratched much before the dye rots). And try not to pick the best buy brand, keep up with the quality manufacturers ...

3. Coasters I have only occasionally and always at the beginning of the burn which can be traced down to incompatibilities between the drive and the disk. Since I'm collecting them in a spindle I can tell you that I have about 10 in 5 years - I keep them for recovery purposes (data disks).

4. But I have seen the fragility of HDDs several times in my life, including one of mine which hold at the time some 250GB of rare documentaries I've collected from SAT and (luckily) safe copies of DVDs I own. Was a sad loss.

5. Should no manufacturer in 5 years produce DVDRs (and CDRs), maybe I'll move to HDDs (if they will be produced, the tendence is towards flash-media), however no MediaPlayer/MediaTank/etc. I've seen has a comparable image quality to my Pioneer. Which explains why most people convert the DVDs to xvids since they don't see the difference anyway
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:28   #78  |  Link
DVD Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
1. I did recently a test on my first DVDRs from 2005. Still way below the error margins (PIEs were at the time some 30-60, now 60-90, same PIFs, about the same total errors). Probably another 5 years of carefree storage (PIE<=280, but most devices can endure up to 400 even 600) ...

2. Maybe you should have burned'em at 4x max. I don't care if people say they got good burns at 16x, I burned always at 4x (except for the first ones which were 1x or 2x) and this never failed me. The same goes for CDRs, 1x for audio (sometimes 4x with cheap CDRs, you know, car copies, which usually got scratched much before the dye rots). And try not to pick the best buy brand, keep up with the quality manufacturers ...

3. Coasters I have only occasionally and always at the beginning of the burn which can be traced down to incompatibilities between the drive and the disk. Since I'm collecting them in a spindle I can tell you that I have about 10 in 5 years - I keep them for recovery purposes (data disks).

4. But I have seen the fragility of HDDs several times in my life, including one of mine which hold at the time some 250GB of rare documentaries I've collected from SAT and (luckily) safe copies of DVDs I own. Was a sad loss.

5. Should no manufacturer in 5 years produce DVDRs (and CDRs), maybe I'll move to HDDs (if they will be produced, the tendence is towards flash-media), however no MediaPlayer/MediaTank/etc. I've seen has a comparable image quality to my Pioneer. Which explains why most people convert the DVDs to xvids since they don't see the difference anyway
Well on Point 1 you have kinda backed up what i'm saying - 5 years is not a long time. Besides, read the various threads on the subject and lifespans seem to vary wildly and more annoyingly, player dependent. My old (forgiving) Pioneer player died on me the new one simply refised to play half my collection

On point 2, ive played that game and tryed all the various combo's of media, burn speed etc which MIGHT work if the manufacturers maintained consistent quality across batches and new brands - they don't. So you may find your winning combination of blank brand, burn speed, buring program, burner, player etc, for a while....... then you are back to the compatibility game again when a a parameter out of your contraol changes...

On point 3 - you deserve a prize!

On point 4, use the 3 b's, Brand Choice, Backup (media that is irreplaceable), BLOODY big cooling systems. Iv'e not had an HDD failure in nearly 20 years of building my own PC's

On point 5. A mate brought round his brand spanking new Pioneer Blu ay set-top and we ran a blind test of my combo of a backed up AVHCD movie on hard disc / softplayer vs the original Blu Ray on his set top (same monitor). He fianlly admitted he could not tell the difference i in either picture or sound quality.

But as jjobbs said its all personal preference...
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:54   #79  |  Link
jdobbs

We're getting more-and-more OT here. No more posts on the benefits of hard drives or the weakness/strengths of optical media. This thread is meant as a place where folks can post about deals they've found -- not to argue about media types.
Old 26th October 2009, 15:40   #80  |  Link
Capsbackup

Fry's has 15 pack spindle of Memorex(Ritek) 4x BD-R spindle for $24.99 each.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote