Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 6th December 2006, 13:39   #1  |  Link
jdobbs

Testing MOBILE Encoding on Small VTSs

I've gotten a couple of questions via e-mail in which folks have created small test VTSs for testing MOBILE encoding that haven't successfully encoded because of the input size. I'm hoping this post can clarify this a little:
  1. By default DVD-RB does not process VTSs smaller than about 50MB. This is because the size is inconsequential and the processing adds time without noticably improving quality. This minimum sizing still holds true for MOBILE encoding as well. If you want to do testing on very small VTSs you must add a line to the REBUILDER.INI's "[Options]" area similar to this:

VTS_MIN_SIZE=1

This will tell DVD-RB to process every VTS that is at lease 1 sector long. Please note, however, that it is recommended that it stay at it's default.
  2. The MOBILE encoder trys to distinguish between "real" video material you want encoded and the transient "junk" often found on a DVD. It does that by ignoring all PGCs that are smaller than about 15 minutes (actually 22500 frames). You can also circumvent that restriction by adding a line to REBUILDER.INI's "[Mobile]" area something like this:

PGC_MINIMUM_FRAMES=1

Every PGC with at least one frame will be processed. Warning: Doing this will instruct DVD-RB to process EVERY SINGLE PGC on the disc regardless of size. That could be A LOT OF PROCESSING. I highly recommend you leave the setting at the default also -- but certainly don't forget to remove it after your testing if you do decide to use it.
  3. If you want to simply test the MOBILE capability without having to encode an entire movie -- I've added a testing capability. If you add a line similar this to the "[Mobile]" area of the REBUILDER.INI file:

FrameLimit=2000

This will encode only the first 2000 frames of each PGC selected. It's good for testing, but DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE IT when you're done testing.
Thanks.

Last edited by jdobbs; 6th December 2006 at 13:48.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 01:09   #2  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Maybe stick this jdobbs?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 04:05   #3  |  Link
jdobbs

Good idea. Done.
Old 29th December 2006, 07:23   #4  |  Link
windtrader

Quote:
You can also circumvent that restriction by adding a line to REBUILDER.INI's "[Mobile]" area something like this:

PGC_MINIMUM_FRAMES=1
I tried this as:

[Mobile]
PGC_MINIMUM_FRAMES=1
Template=Custom
Format=1
Action=2

and RB fails with error:

AppName: rebuilder.exe
AppVer: 1.20.0.4
ModName: msvbvm60.dll
ModVer: 6.0.97.82 Offset: 000fea4f

Hewre's the log entry:

[22:20:08] One Click encoding activated...
-----------------
[22:20:08] Phase I, PREPARATION started.
- DVD-RB v1.20.4
- AVISYNTH 2.5.6.0
- ProCoder selected.
- "Movie Only" mode is enabled.
- Output in MOBILE format only.
- Audiostream (for mobile) is 0x80
- Source: SSS
- VTS_01: 144,848 sectors.
-- Scanning and writing .D2V & .AVS files
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 14:01   #5  |  Link
jdobbs

There's something else wrong that is unrelated to this thread.

Are you overclocked? It appears you are crashing in the middle of a Microsoft DLL that is installed with the operating system. That one has been around for years and is very, very stable.

Interestingly, though, my system is using Windows XP Professional with SP2 -- and its version is 6.0.96.90. Is it possible you have installed some other app that has replaced the one that came with the operating system? The date on mine is 8/4/2004.

By the way, I probably should have set a higher number in the example. Try setting the value to:

PGC_MINIMUM_FRAMES=1000

or something similar. On a PAL system that would only do PGCs that are at least 40 seconds long. On NTSC it would be about 33 seconds.

Last edited by jdobbs; 29th December 2006 at 14:10.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 21:09   #6  |  Link
windtrader

I am not running overclocked and the system is quite stable. I checked the module on my system with a sister system and it is the same. I went ahead and copied over it but the same problem, even with the value at 1000. Oh well, something must be screwed on my system, thx anyway.
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote