Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 13th May 2024, 16:51   #1  |  Link
GarlicTurtle

Some questions about security

Does Avisynth collects and store any personal data/credit card info from users?
Is there any data transfer?
Any middleware and connections being used?
GarlicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 20:46   #2  |  Link
DTL

No. It do not use networking or data storage. For best safety you can run it in the virtual machine with disabled any networking and delete file container of the virtual machine after you output and save your processed media files.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 21:45   #3  |  Link
Zarxrax

Avisynth is free software, so your question about credit card info makes me wonder if you might be downloading some scam malware that is pretending to be avisynth?
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 03:33   #4  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I kinda have the suspect that the original poster is a bot, but I'll reply anyway 'cause I think it's gonna be useful for those who are gonna Google asking security related questions.

Avisynth is free and open source, so you can see yourself that it's completely safe: https://github.com/AviSynth/AviSynthPlus
That one is considered the official repository so you can consider it safe along with the builds you find there which are created directly by Stephen (qyot) and Ferenc (pinterf) both valuable and trusted members of this forum.

About data collection and telemetry, Avisynth is a frameserver, which means that it doesn't do anything by itself, it doesn't encode, it doesn't run in a background process, it doesn't have a GUI, it doesn't do anything. Avisynth's only purpose as a frameserver is to serve frames and you'll see that in the installation you're gonna have two main files in system32: Avisynth.dll (which is the frameserver itself) and Devil.dll (which - unlike what someone might think from the name - isn't malicious but rather stands for Developer's Image Library and it's used by ImageSource() etc).

In other words, unless another program (the client) calls Avisynth (the frameserver) requesting frames, Avisynth itself won't do anything at all, it's just gonna be a dll on a system folder. The client can be another editor like VirtualDub and FFMpeg, a player like FFPlay, MPV, PotPlayer, MPC-HC, an encoder like x262, x264, x265 requesting frames in whatever order they want and Avisynth will accommodate the request by providing the frames. If you have a source you can index it with whatever indexer you want and from there you're gonna have an uncompressed A/V stream living in RAM that you can work on to do anything you want both with internal functions and external ones (via plugins and import) before the frameserver sends the stream to the client.

On telemetry, there isn't any, at all, whatsoever.
This is a good thing because as a community we aim to be totally transparent and we trust each other and also because when it comes to encoding many things have manually written intrinsics in assembly to optimise performances, so having something completely useless and even annoying like telemetry wouldn't make sense.
This of course also means that we - as a community - have absolutely no idea whatsoever of how many people run it, we only know those who actually come here on Doom9 or go to VideoHelp and actually say that they're using it. Those two forums combined have thousands of active users every day, so it's not like the community is small, quite the opposite. On top of that, there are also companies running it and relying on it and again we know this only 'cause those working in such companies actually commented and/or contributed.

So, to summarise:

- Avisynth is just a frameserver, it serves frames
- Avisynth is free, open source and completely safe
- Avisynth doesn't store anything nor has any kind of telemetry

Last edited by FranceBB; 14th May 2024 at 03:38.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 07:39   #5  |  Link
richardpl

Anyone can upload here closed source binary plugin that will do what OP described, and even more.
richardpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 10:35   #6  |  Link
DTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
Anyone can upload here closed source binary plugin that will do what OP described, and even more.
So it is safe to run it with networking disabled and after media files processing is finished - simply delete all operating system and other storage (virtual or real installation). Yes - avisynth.dll can be also infected by some virus and can become unsafe.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 14:05   #7  |  Link
GarlicTurtle

No, I am not a bot. I know it's a free open source software, thanks for the details.
GarlicTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 15:19   #8  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicTurtle View Post
No, I am not a bot.
Ah, nice, I'm glad to see you reply.
Also apologies for the bot thing, lately we've been flooded by bots who registered, posted 1 question and then edited the message a few days later with spam contents and links to dating websites etc. I'm really glad to see a fellow human being this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicTurtle View Post
I know it's a free open source software, thanks for the details.
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
True, but the same is true for pretty much anything that "pretends" to be something and is instead something else.
I still remember the "conhoz" trojan that pretended to be "conhost" from Microsoft. There will always be people who can inject malicious code in totally good software. Like, recently we've seen the xz backdoor attempt and yet, due to it being open source, it was caught before it could make it into the actual stable releases of the various distributions downstream. One more reason not to trust closed source projects and embrace the community supported open source ones.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote