Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 13th June 2008, 12:05   #1  |  Link
hurry

Will x264 videos play from Blu-ray Discs on TV

Hello. I have four questions regarding x264 and Blu-ray compatibility. I have tried to search for this but cannot find the answer.

(1) If I burn x264 videos (encoded with MediaCoder for example) on Blu-ray discs, would they play on a TV from a Blu-ray Player?

(2) And if the x264 video on a Blu-ray DVD contains audio in the Nero HE-AAC V2 (parametric format), will the Blu-ray player play the audio properly? Does Blu-ray support Nero HE-AAC V2 audio?

(3) If not, then which audio format should I use for encoding the x264 videos, so that the audio plays properly from a Blu-ray disc on a TV?

(4) Could you guide about the list of MP4 codecs which are fully supported in Blu-ray? Is x264 one of them?.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by hurry; 13th June 2008 at 12:17.
hurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 13:49   #2  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Blu-ray supports VC1 , Mpeg2 , H264
Audio should be DTS , DTS-HD , AC3 , EAC3 , PCM , TrueHD.
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 19:38   #3  |  Link
hurry

(1) Thanks Atak. Just to make it doubly sure since I don't have a Blu-ray player here to test, since x264 is a H.264 codec, x264 videos will play in TV Blu-ray players if the audio encoded with the video is in the AC3 format. Is that correct?

(2) What about if the audio is in AAC format instead of AC3?

(3) Has anyone successfully tried playing x264 videos from a Blu-ray disc inside a standalone Blu-ray player on a TV?

I hope I can get a clear reply on this so that I can fix x264 as my standard of video encoding for the future. Thank you so much in advance.
Old 12th September 2008, 19:54   #4  |  Link
cacepi
Just as bad up as down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurry View Post
What about if the audio is in AAC format instead of AC3?
AAC is not supported by Blu-ray.
cacepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:35   #5  |  Link
hurry

Thanks cacepi. Has anyone successfully tried playing x264 videos encoded in the Baseline profile from a Blu-ray disc inside a standalone Blu-ray player on a TV?

Does anyone know of a free or an economical GUI which can encode the video in x264 and audio in AC3 which can be played on standalone Blu-ray players? But I guess then these files will not play in the Adobe Flash Player or the Silverlight as they do not support AC3 audio.

Is there any way I can produce x264 video which can be played both on the web (Flash Player) and on Blu-ray like the VC1 video which can be played both on Blu-ray as well as on web via Silverlight?

WMV VC1 video contains WMA audio if I am correct? So since Blu-ray supports VC1, does it mean it supports the playback of WMA audio in the VC1 video also?

Does Blu-ray support MP3? It is not mentioned in Atak's list of supported audio codecs for Blu-ray dics in the second post in this thread.

Last edited by hurry; 12th September 2008 at 20:37.
Old 12th September 2008, 20:38   #6  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Is there any way I can produce x264 video which can be played both on the web (Flash Player) and on Blu-ray like the VC1 video which can be played both on Blu-ray as well as on web via Silverlight?

Does Blu-ray support MP3? It is not mentioned in Atak's list of supported audio codecs for Blu-ray dics in the second post in this thread.
No and no; not only is it an issue of audio formats but Blu-ray has its own container format (M2TS).
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 20:44   #7  |  Link
hurry

Quote:
No and no; not only is it an issue of audio formats but Blu-ray has its own container format (M2TS).
So do all videos have to be in the m2ts container to be played back on a Blu-ray standalone TV player? Will it not playback H.264 encoded files with mp4 or mov containers on the TV? Also if that is the case, then how does Blu-ray support VC1 playback as I don't think VC1 can be produced in the m2ts format. I am sorry if I am getting this wrong. Thanks.

Does anyone know of a free or an economical GUI which can encode the video in x264 and audio in AC3 which can be played on standalone Blu-ray players?
Old 12th September 2008, 20:46   #8  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
So do all videos have to be in the m2ts container to be played back on a standalone TV player?
Not just that, it has to match the Blu-ray spec (though some drives also accept AVCHD).
Quote:
Will it not playback H.264 encoded files with mp4 or mov containers on the TV?
Not unless it explicitly says on the box that it does.
Quote:
Also if that is the case, then how does Blu-ray support VC1 playback as I don't think VC1 can be produced in the m2ts format.
Of course it can, you can put nearly anything in m2ts.
Old 12th September 2008, 20:52   #9  |  Link
hurry

Thanks Dark Shikari. Does anyone know of a free or an economical GUI which can encode the video in x264 and audio in AC3 and wrap it up in a m2ts container and which can thus be played universally on standalone Blu-ray TV players without problems?
Old 12th September 2008, 21:00   #10  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

google is your friend
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 21:04   #11  |  Link
hurry

I cannot find anything similar on Google. I guess the only option is that I have to somehow get a standalone universal Blu-ray player for testing. Can someone on doom9 who has a standalone Blu-ray player test this for us? It would be a very valuable help and info for all the video encoders and publishers worldwide. Thanks.
Old 12th September 2008, 22:00   #12  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Doesn't MeGUI have profiles for Blu-ray?
Old 13th September 2008, 01:27   #13  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

yup, but doesnt "still" mux to m2ts.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 03:01   #14  |  Link
Comatose

tsmuxer? or whatever it's called
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 05:04   #15  |  Link
hurry

So guys anyone with a Blu-ray willing to help on this one? Someone reported that only the Sony PLAYSTATION 3 (40GB) and Sony PLAYSTATION 3 (80GB) directly play VC1 files in the wmv container and most others do not but we don't know for sure. Will they also play x264 files in the MP4 container with AC3 audio? Or any other Blu-ray player model which does? Is the final standard of these Blu-ray players supposed to support both (vc1) wmv and (x264) mp4 containers? Thanks.
Old 13th September 2008, 05:11   #16  |  Link
hurry

Dark Shikari, can x264 add support for some encoding profile which will make the encoded videos play on standard Blu-ray players as well as in Flash player simultaneously or at least the first one? Thanks.
Old 13th September 2008, 05:34   #17  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Dark Shikari, can x264 add support for some encoding profile which will make the encoded videos play on standard Blu-ray players as well as in Flash player simultaneously or at least the first one? Thanks.
It's not the job of x264 to add support for "profiles". If you need to comply with a certain profile (Blue-ray, Flash, whatever), then configure x264 accordingly and that's it!
Pre-defined profiles for all kinds of Hardware players are already provided by various encoder front-ends, so you even don't need to figure out the proper x264 settings yourself.
You should definitely have a look at MeGUI, for example...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 13th September 2008 at 05:40.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 05:57   #18  |  Link
hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
yup, but doesnt "still" mux to m2ts.
Any plans to add m2ts container support for MeGUI in the near future with x264 video and AC3 audio? Also it would be really great if MEGUI can add some video filters like Sharpen Video and audio filters like Increase Stereo (steroizer) like what MediaCoder has.

Last edited by hurry; 13th September 2008 at 06:14.
Old 13th September 2008, 06:18   #19  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Also it would be really great if MEGUI can add some video filters like Sharpen Video
Again it's not the job of MeGUI to implement video filters (like Sharpen). MeGUI and it's encoders use Avisynth as input.
And with Avisynth you already have access to a great number of video filters. Simply add the required filters to your script and that's it!

BTW: If you are new to Avisynth, try the "Avisynth Script Creater" in MeGUI. This way you should be able to get a basic script...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 13th September 2008 at 06:21.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 06:27   #20  |  Link
hurry

Thanks Mulder, I am trying out MeGUI right now. Never used Avisynth. Is there any automated program which can make a Avisynth file from an original mpg video source file or a batch of mpg files?

I just hope that someday I can publish one common x264 encoded video file which will play both in either Silverlight or Flash for the web and on the standalone Blu-ray players so that I don't have to maintain to big HD video files for each video I produce. As Dark Shikari said, if I use AC3 as the audio codec, it most probably will not play in Flash Player. What if I use Lame MP3 as the audio codec with x264 video? I guess the standalone Blu-ray players will have to eventually support mp3 to be backwards compatible to DVD players and they will also have to eventually support the MP4 container also as it most widely used, much more than m2ts. I will do some research on the future of mp4 container support in standalone Blu-ray players and see what I can come up with.

Last edited by hurry; 13th September 2008 at 06:32.