Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 25th November 2022, 18:52   #1  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

SOLVED: Web Page Monitor

I've been looking for some kind of app to monitor for changes in a web page (full web page not just an item of text on it), and to do it locally and ideally on-demand.
Most things I've found require some kind of web site to monitor changes <and send/email alerts>, although there did seem to be plenty of stuff using Python or similar. I want just a simple click type thingy without needing to learn some sneaky snakey language.

Best I've found was a browser extension for Chrome (which I had to install), I would prefer FireFox extension over Chrome, although I guess I can keep separate in chrome instance and not let it have access to passwords or accounts or whatever in FireFox.

Anyways, the Chrome Extension I've found is called "Page Monitor":- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrP_e_pjd9U

Anybody use something similar that is insanely good ?

HERE:- thread on some good FireFox Addons:- https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=177066

EDIT: from Page Monitor Pro (not the original Page Monitor)
Quote:
Overview
Stays in the background and monitors web pages for changes.

With the free Pagemonitor Pro you can monitor any website content changes, like price monitor on shops or any other element on websites.

Page Monitor Pro is an open source fork of the original open source Page Monitor, which is now available under MIT License. We removed any tracking code and bloat by visualping and keep this extension maintained and under development. Page Monitor Pro is a free monitoring and website change detector to send you website change alerts.
Above is for an alternative Chrome Extension (Page Monitor Pro) which is forked from the original Page Monitor, judging by the above quote, I think I'm gonna switch to that one.
Page Monitor Pro:- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...mlalbakp?hl=en

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th November 2022 at 21:11.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2022, 19:16   #2  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

These I found best for my tasks:
"Distill Web Monitor" [browser extension]
"WebSite-Watcher" [standalone program]
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2022, 19:28   #3  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

OK, thanks, I installed the Page Monitor Pro thing, and it seems to have problems, Am uninstalling.

I'll try your WebsiteWatcher [standalone] and give it a shot [at least the original Page Monitor worked, so I might re-install that too].
I could not find website for Page Monitor Pro, only a link to OpenSource description.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 26th November 2022, 01:57   #4  |  Link
Julek

I used Distill for quite a while, it worked great for me.
Old 26th November 2022, 10:30   #5  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

OK thanx Julek, extension for both Chrome and Firefox, I'll give it a try.

EDIT: and of course that is the other one hoisted by VX

EDIT: I guess now that I just havta work-out how to use them

me working out

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th November 2022 at 17:49.
Old 26th November 2022, 13:19   #6  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

What site do you want to monitor? RSS is good way to monitor the sites and QuiteRSS is the best reader [I've tried them all].

Last edited by VoodooFX; 26th November 2022 at 13:23.
Old 26th November 2022, 14:23   #7  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
What site do you want to monitor?
CEX:- https://uk.webuy.com/

However, using a search string, and with in-stock both online, and in-store, and one or two other boxes ticked.

BUT, when trying with WebsiteWatcher [standalone, which is probably my preferred if possible], I get a

Quote:
WebSite-Watcher - WARNINGS:

WebSite-Watcher is not able to detect updates with the current bookmark configuration!
The whole page content has been filtered, please verify your filter settings
Due to it being a search type page, which I think it said (somewhere) that it needed to use POST rather than GET (http stuff),
which left me a bit none-the-wiser

So, search URL something like this
Code:
https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=ipad&availability=In%20Stock%20Online,In%20Stock%20In%20Store&sortBy=prod_cex_uk_price_asc&categoryFriendlyName=Apple%20iPad
Search string: iPad
Availability InStock: InStore, Online
SortBy: Price Ascending
Category: Apple iPad

( Thats not what I'm actually searching for, but dont want others searching for same as me )

EDIT:
Actually, I bought an iPad4 (32GB) about 2 or 3 months ago, only switched it on for about 30 mins, have not even registered with store or whatever,
assuming that I can register. Is supposed to not be supported any longer. It was cheap (£30) and in near perfect condition, also got a
Logitech UltraThin keyboard for £0.75, was originally £99.00 and brand new in box, musta been old stock found in warehouse or something.
Keyboard connects magnetically to the iPad and looks like some kind of silver mini Apple laptop.
EDIT: https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/logitech...er-black-39616

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th November 2022 at 17:50.
Old 26th November 2022, 15:19   #8  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

That site loads results dynamically and I think it's behind Cloudflare. Maybe browser plugin is more suitable for this kind of website.

Browsed there randomly, I see only overpriced stuff, I think Ebay is more suitable for the bargain hunting.
Old 26th November 2022, 17:01   #9  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yeah, I dont wanna use anything that demands Paypal (too many bad stories bout them), but maybe they dont demand PP anymore.
(I use their high street shops a lot, I have about 6 within 30 mins travel and about 12-15 or so within 60 mins travel, bus or tube
<all of which have a conveniently near pub - Camden CEX has a bit of a walk (there is one right on doorstep but), 5 mins to Wetherspoons pub "Ice Wharf" which is next to a working
canal lock with the odd swan, goose or duck floating about, nice outside in summer.>)
Some stuff they do is expensive, even compared to Amazon new, they do not react too speedily to reductions in price [eg, nvme can be more expensive 2nd hand than on Amazon new].
You have to wait for them to post an item that is "irregularly priced", and jump on it, same with Cash Converters. [they ain't all experts in pricing]
I picked up something on CEX a couple of weeks back that was about £100 under expected price, and about £150 less than CashConverters expected price for same thing.

Dammit!, no idea why but (probably because of previous post) I just ordered a iPad 4 Mini (128GB),
and even worse, ordered same keyboard type (Logitech UltraThin case/keyboard for iPad Mini), and also an Apple Smart Cover (leather, which I also have for iPad4),
BUT !!!,
apparently the mini 4 is a bit taller (by 3mm or so) than earlier mini's, and so the two cases may get chucked in the bin
EDIT: Unless I get an iPad mini 3 to match the two cases, but that would be dafter than usual.

No idea why I did that, I aint ever really had any inclination towards the iPad. {I've always been a bit of a dickhead }

At least I did not get the mini 5 which I very nearly did.

EDIT: I got the mini on CashConverters.co.uk, sometimes are less expensive than CEX, sometimes much more. [cases were from CEX]
The 32GB iPad 4 (£30) was from Cash converters too, same on CEX is/was about £60+ [EDIT: Actually £48 cheapest today].

EDIT: From Ice Wharf on a miserable day, the pub with outside seating is to the right, and a bit of a lake behind you.

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th November 2022 at 18:12.
Old 26th November 2022, 19:16   #10  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Nothing wrong with Paypal, all those "horror stories" you heard are from the sellers, gives more reasons to use it as a buyer.

Ha, isn't that the infamous Camden bridge? In summer my favorite drinking place was just at the other side of the canal...
Old 26th November 2022, 20:09   #11  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Camden bridge?
Probably, I dont actually know [I dont get there too often, and prefer to spend time in the pub rather than wandering around memorising place names ].
(Perhaps you've got your directions mixed up, the Ice Wharf is alongside the lock, and with a big frontage, I dont know of a pub on the other side, at least not facing the lock <but I could be wrong>)

The bad paypal stories I refer to are of them deciding upon a whim that you use ebay too frequently and must therefore be a dealer,
whereupon they deduct dealer rates from your bank account for however long you have had an ebay account.
One guy (a few years back) had about £5,000 rifled from his acc, he used to use ebay as a sort of hobby,
and arguments with PP did no good. He set up a website called "FuckYouPayPal.com", where he told his story, and many others told similar bad stories.
He used to obtain home address / phone, mobile, email of the PP CEO and post them on-site so that others could voice their disapproval of the PP tactics in person.
(CEO kept changing home/mobile/email, but he kept getting the new ones and re-posting).
[apparently PP was/is in constant dispute with something like 0.5% of its users, and seemed to use it as a way of borrowing monies, when they did eventually
pay back the money taken from peoples accounts, they may have kept it for several years, and gave back only the money wrongly taken, no interest].
The guy eventually got back (after 3 years) the money taken, and several months later closed down the website, maybe it was a condition of getting his money back,
after telling people that he had done.

Anyways, I dont like the way they behave.

I dont know any pubs on other side of canal, I dont get that far. [Camden about 50 mins journey for me, I get to that bridge and turn left to the pub]

EDIT: That closed down website seems to have popped back up, but just shows a blank page for me [says need javascript, which I may not have enabled].
If you hunt for that website on Google, you will see a few 'Variations on a Theme'
When you signup for PayPal, you pretty much give them Carte Blanche to do whatever they want with your bank account [and for some folk that seems to provide irresistible opportunities].

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th November 2022 at 01:42.
Old 26th November 2022, 20:57   #12  |  Link
Thundik81

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
CEX:- https://uk.webuy.com/

However, using a search string, and with in-stock both online, and in-store, and one or two other boxes ticked.

BUT, when trying with WebsiteWatcher [standalone, which is probably my preferred if possible], I get a

Due to it being a search type page, which I think it said (somewhere) that it needed to use POST rather than GET (http stuff),
With WSW, you have many many options. Verify:
- Bookmark's Check tab (change Technology to check page to Chromium)
- Bookmark's Advanced tab - Check options (2) to customize (Cookies, POST, ...)

Latest version handles better Cloudflare!
Thundik81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2022, 21:09   #13  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thanx Thundik81,
I was kinda hoping to be able to get a quick no nonsense utility, that requires zero learning curve,
I've got the manual but have yet to look at it.

Currently Page Monitor is doing all I require but have downed the other apps and may try figure out whats best when I need to.

For now I'm reasonably happy guys.

Call it SOLVED.

EDIT: Ice Wharf pic 2 [Is this the pub you mean VX - ie directions back-to-front ? <1st image was looking to the left>]
EDIT: The little sign in 1st floor window [thats 2nd floor for our Amercan friends] above and between the two Ice Wharf signs is for Dr Martens, not sure if it is a shop, or the shoe factory.
If I'm on that pic, I would be to the right under the trees, or maybe even more likely to the far right and off picture next to the lake-ish kinda thing.
That boat is (I think) about to drop on the other side of the lock, by maybe about 8 feet. [or maybe just come up about 8 feet]

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th November 2022 at 04:35.
Old 27th November 2022, 01:55   #14  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Yeah, I dont wanna use anything that demands Paypal (too many bad stories bout them), but maybe they dont demand PP anymore.
Yeah, you can use eBay without using Paypal, which is what I do since I actually had a terrible experience long time ago and they limited my account which I was using at the time.

Quote:
The guy eventually got back (after 3 years) the money taken
Well, mine is a similar story but I didn't have to wait 3 years to have my money back (and keep in mind that it was just a little less than 100 bucks... peanuts, literally, but they eventually gave me every cent back). I've been avoiding PayPal ever since. With PayPal I think it's a "hit and miss", in the sense that it could be an incredibly good experience or a terrible one. To be entirely fair, it was ok-ish as a customer, but if you're a seller, good luck (even if you're literally selling back your own legally purchased used stuff).

Quote:
The 32GB iPad 4 (£30) was from Cash converters too, same on CEX is/was about £60+ [EDIT: Actually £48 cheapest today].
Oh no , now I can no longer mock Apple users and use the term iSheep 'cause it would include you (and I know you're not)...

Quote:
From Ice Wharf on a miserable day, the pub with outside seating is to the right, and a bit of a lake behind you.
Lovely... but wait, what's happening?
StainlessS posting an actual picture of where he was? And VoodooFX saying that he uses to go there too? What's happening? XD
And *plot twist* he/they wouldn't even have been that far away (that assuming he - StainlessS - wanted to see me, which he doesn't as he politely declined in the past xD):

It would be ackward, though, like, can you imagine? Him and Vodoo ordering a beer while I order an hot chocolate with cream on top? XD
They would stop talking to me and probably change table right after that xD

Quote:
prefer to spend time in the pub rather than wandering around memorising place names
I generally like to walk 'till I'm tired.
Dunno why, but I sort of like taking long walks in parks, way more than sitting in one single place.
There's something "relaxing" in this, I can't explain.
When I go to the mall or meet with other friends, it's always sort of chaotic and full of people, there are many people talking in the background so you always end up shouting to each other etc. I mean, it's fine, but there's nothing more relaxing than a long walk in the park... which unfortunately doesn't mix well with the typical winter weather in the UK (but in the summer it's lovely).

High res picture from my Google Pixel 6 Pro here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SmWhPKoBtXyPxWqKA

Quote:
canal lock with the odd swan, goose or duck floating about, nice outside in summer.
I've seen lots of these "locks" in the past in the UK and it was amazing to think that they date all the way back to... well I forgot, but it was long time ago and they're still in use! O_O
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SutaYcmAC9GZph5m9 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/yWLomuGzh6vtrN8d6 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/CjUEF74FEyyGTyxa9

Water flowing out of a recently closed lock:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zJyfTZy5ZYapNYd1A

A boat approaching the lock in the canal: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KcBn5UJBW8cCKH577

Last edited by FranceBB; 27th November 2022 at 02:16.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2022, 02:12   #15  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
Oh no , now I can no longer mock Apple users
Of course you can, I think I'm a bit of a **** too, (can't blame it all on the iPad).

Quote:
assuming he - StainlessS - wanted to see me
Nope, and don't wanna see VX neither.

If we met, you'de only regret it, maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
But we'll always have Paris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-dGYjSq5k

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th November 2022 at 02:37.
Old 27th November 2022, 11:52   #16  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
Is this the pub you mean VX - ie directions back-to-front ?
Yes SssS, I can navigate Camden blindly... look at my photo below, probably I took it when sitting next to you.
Still my favorite place is at the other side, you should visit there, lots of stuff at the market.

[It's local attraction - piss drunk tourists floating in the canal.]

Quote:
...they deduct dealer rates ...£5,000 rifled from his acc, he used to use ebay as a sort of hobby...
"FuckYouPayPal.com"
Some people call their business a hobby, that doesn't excuse you from paying taxes, from that "£5000" we can deduct that he received ~£200000 from his "hobby"...

There was a better site: "paypalsucks.com"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
I actually had a terrible experience long time ago and they limited my account which I was using at the time.
Did you sold something at that time? They freeze money for a ~month on your first sales, it's a measure to prevent the scamming operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
...unfortunately doesn't mix well with the typical winter weather in the UK
Ha, the spoiled southerners, I've never seen winter in the UK, for me the real winter is when there are -25° outside...

EDIT:
WTF, what's going on there? [ Camden punks claim police are trying to ‘banish’ them from historic area ]
It's like banishing animals from a zoo... if I visit a zoo I want to see animals there.

Last edited by VoodooFX; 27th November 2022 at 15:54.
Old 27th November 2022, 16:05   #17  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Thought dealer costs were based on annual membership rather than transaction fees.
Well I would not likely sell anything on ebay anyway, never sold anything to CEX or CashConverters, would rather dump at charity shop.

I'm from north or england where it is a bit cooler but nuttin like -25 degrees, sounds nice there.

Yip, lotsa punks in Camden, is full of oddballs so I fit right in.

So, thats a pub on the other side, inside those arches, is it. I've never really taken much notice,
and I only get there about 3 times a year [for about maybe bout 3 years, and I like to sit outside next to the lake-ish bit].
[I have noticed the famed Camden Market but have not been adventurous enough to visit]

Dont think that fellla in the canal is me, seems to have more hair.

Last edited by StainlessS; 27th November 2022 at 16:13.
Old 27th November 2022, 16:45   #18  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Quote:
So, thats a pub on the other side, inside those arches, is it.
Above those arches and a lil bit further.

Quote:
Yip, lotsa punks in Camden, is full of oddballs so I fit right in.
So that's normal, really odd would be a posh geezer from Notting Hill trying to order the hot chocolate cream in Camden.

Last edited by VoodooFX; 27th November 2022 at 17:22.
Old 28th November 2022, 16:41   #19  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:

Quote:
WebSite-Watcher - WARNINGS:

WebSite-Watcher is not able to detect updates with the current bookmark configuration!
The whole page content has been filtered, please verify your filter settings

which left me a bit none-the-wiser
I've just stumbled over an article linked by CodeProject [they email me stuff] and it relates to the http GET and POST type whosits referred to above,
if anybody wants to read it. (little tutorial on how it works).
Conversation over HTTP:- https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...tion-over-HTTP

(If ever I wanna know bout it, I can come back and find that link)

Last edited by StainlessS; 28th November 2022 at 16:48.
Old 29th November 2022, 14:02   #20  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

VX, guess where I am right now

Tags
compare, search, web