Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th July 2016, 22:59   #221  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for madVR v0.90.23, added a section for hdr.
Old 29th July 2016, 10:14   #222  |  Link
Asmodian

Added a section for the empty file based hidden options for madVR.
Old 30th July 2016, 18:30   #223  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Added a section for the empty file based hidden options for madVR.
Sweet, thanks!

I believe ShowBlackBars isn't active anymore but DontRenderAfterStop definitely seems to help with hiccuping during transitions between movies with PotPlayer in seamless playback

madshi kept telling me that it was PotP's fault and PotP's coder said it was mVR's so I shall run more tests but closing PotP even seems snappier now.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 18:24   #224  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Sweet, thanks!

I believe ShowBlackBars isn't active anymore but DontRenderAfterStop definitely seems to help with hiccuping during transitions between movies with PotPlayer in seamless playback

madshi kept telling me that it was PotP's fault and PotP's coder said it was mVR's so I shall run more tests but closing PotP even seems snappier now.
Glad it helped.

"ShowBlackBars" is still active, I just tested it with madVR v0.90.23.
Old 1st September 2016, 05:26   #225  |  Link
Light001

Looking for help Again

i5 3550 4.1ghz, Gtx 980, windows 10 pro 64bit and most recent nvidia driver. BenQXl2420T, i watch mostly pirated 1080p Quality vidoes with some older shows 480p. My monitor only supports 60hz and 100hz and 120hz. I used Tft Centrals color calabration for my monitor. Watching things like game of thrones using madvr and Mpc-hc its abit dark unless i turn up brightness. Do i touch anything in the Nvidia Control Panel? under Video ? (Edge Enhance,Noise Reduc,Deinterlacing-unverse telecine)??
Under Devices I do not know what should be set, i assume the pc levels 0-255 is fine and 8 bit for native display? 3d format is auto. calibration is set to disable display modes is also unchecked color and gamma is left alone and hdr which is new, i selected the top option.

Processing All unchecked, Artifact removal unchecked,Image Enhance unchecked, and zoom, disable scaling if image size changes by only 25 lines or less. Scaling Algorithims are Chroma up- Jinc, Image Down-Jinc,Image doubling-off,image upscale-jinc with active anti ringing on all 3. Nothing in upscale refinement, Rendering has nothing checked off under general and the que for cpu is 16 and gpu is 8, Smooth Motion on, althought i do not know what to be looking for, just that in some movies when the scene is in motion from side to side i see visually its not very smooth, like a little judder or something, Dithering is Ordered and nothing checked in trade quality for preformance.

In Mpc Under lav Decored, top corner is all auto with the box checked 0-255 and ordered dithering, Dxva2 copyback with all boxes checked and software deinterlacing disabled.

Does anything stand out here that i would or should want to change? i would prefer to stay under 70% Gpu usage. Its been along time since i posted and i forgot alot of stuff . As i said most the stuff i watch is 1080 or 720 rip with the odd older show @ 480p. or worse. i find it dark watching game of thrones, unless i turn up brightness in mpc, which is kinda annoying. But i gave up trying to find a better set up for the monitors settings. Help me obi won kenobi, your my only hope <3

Sorry to toxic your thread, but if anyone can give me some input base on info provided or can inbox me id greatly appreciate it. if i find movie nirvana or epic results id glady paypal a few bucks for your time. TY!
Light001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 06:56   #226  |  Link
Asmodian

Updated for madVR v0.90.24
Old 7th September 2016, 12:20   #227  |  Link
SweetLow

To Asmodian
As minimum one hidden option exists which not mentioned in your reference:
KeepLastFrameOnStop
SweetLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 20:43   #228  |  Link
oddball

I am getting noticeable frame skipping on VFR sources. I can see the numbers of frames repeated/dropped but every now and then I see a visible skip. I tried resetting to defaults and it does not help. I can also not play any video other than in DX11 mode. If I leave it unticked MPC-HC hangs. MadVR settings continue to be accessible. But I have to kill MPC-HC in Win10 Task Manager.

I am using AMD's latest drivers but this has continued through from using a AMD R90 290 to changing the GPU to a RX 480.

I have also tried older versions of MadVR and it still hangs with DX11 unticked. This only occurs over HDMI to a either a Denon AVR or directly to a Panasonic plasma HDTV.

Because MadVR hangs and does not crash I don't know how to get any crash info. Is it MadVR or MPC-HC? If MPC-HC where do I get the crash info? I have also tried older non-nighlty buiilds of MPC-HC.

Also I have had issues with delayed playback enabled with DX11 ticked and switching between fullscreen on the HDTV and windowed on the main monitor.

Please advise on how I can diagnose these issues and post a crash report.

I don't want to have to wipe Win10 and start over but this has been going on for many weeks now and I still don't know how to fix this.

Any help appreciated on what I should do to find crash info and diagnose this pain in the butt problem.

EDIT: I tried it in MPC-BE out of curiosity and with DX11 unticked and sending it stright to fullscreen on the HDTV I get the MPC-BE logo window (no video) and the sound continues on. I also see 'madVR reports -resetting direct3d devices failed (8007000e)' and '-creating direct3d devce failed (8007000e)'. I am at a loss right now.

EDIT2: If I stop it going fullscreen on the HDTV and allow it to play on the monitor first it plays,pauses, ff/rw etc. But if I force it to the HDTV the playback stops and I can do nothing even though the interface still allows me to pause, play etc. But the image and sound remain static on what was previously there.

Last edited by oddball; 11th September 2016 at 21:00.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 21:00   #229  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLow View Post
To Asmodian
As minimum one hidden option exists which not mentioned in your reference:
KeepLastFrameOnStop
Thanks! I will add it when I get back home and off mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
I am using AMD's latest drivers but this has continued through from using a AMD R90 290 to changing the GPU to a RX 480.
I believe many users are reporting issues with AMD's newest drivers. I think 13.2 is the still the optimal version according to reports but that version doesn't support the RX 480 so I don't know what to suggest. Maybe try a few of the older versions that do support the RX 480.

That said you can also try smaller and larger queues, especially the present queues. Try changing the "use a separate device for presentation" and the "present a frame for every v-sync" options as well. Make one change at a time.

Sorry, I do not have any AMD cards myself so I cannot offer better advice.

Last edited by Asmodian; 11th September 2016 at 21:02.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 21:28   #230  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Thanks! I will add it when I get back home and off mobile.

I believe many users are reporting issues with AMD's newest drivers. I think 13.2 is the still the optimal version according to reports but that version doesn't support the RX 480 so I don't know what to suggest. Maybe try a few of the older versions that do support the RX 480.

That said you can also try smaller and larger queues, especially the present queues. Try changing the "use a separate device for presentation" and the "present a frame for every v-sync" options as well. Make one change at a time.

Sorry, I do not have any AMD cards myself so I cannot offer better advice.
Yes I can get it to playback using DX11 just not without it being ticked. Anyhow I have discovered something interesting. When setting the HDTV to 60Hz in Windows and setting MadVR to not switch to any display refreshes (1080p23 etc blanked out) and just having smooth motion ticked I get smooth VFR playback. So something is up with MadVR and refresh rate switching I believe. I tend to run the HDTV at 23Hz and MadVR to just auto switch out at that rate. Let me experiment some more.

EDIT: Ooh! MadVR just made a crash dump.

https://drdump.com/UploadedReport.as...&SecondVisit=1
Old 11th September 2016, 21:36   #231  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Yes I can get it to playback using DX11 just not without it being ticked. Anyhow I have discovered something interesting. When setting the HDTV to 60Hz in Windows and setting MadVR to not switch to any display refreshes (1080p23 etc blanked out) and just having smooth motion ticked I get smooth VFR playback. So something is up with MadVR and refresh rate switching I believe. I tend to run the HDTV at 23Hz and MadVR to just auto switch out at that rate. Let me experiment some more.
Really a lot of TVs have bad 24 Hz modes, maybe it is the TV not processing 24Hz correctly with the somewhat odd patterns of VFR video. 60 Hz with smooth motion is a good option IMO, is there a reason you do not like it?

I do not think it is it is likely to be a problem with madVR's refresh rate switching, it works properly for too many people.

Edit: I am highly suspicious that the crashes with anything but DX11 is due to AMD's driver, both AMD and Nvidia have had driver issues exposed by madVR in the past and there have been a lot of reports of issues with the latest Crimson drivers.

Edit2: Are you using Software decoding LAV? If not, try using it.

Last edited by Asmodian; 11th September 2016 at 21:45.
Old 11th September 2016, 22:16   #232  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Really a lot of TVs have bad 24 Hz modes, maybe it is the TV not processing 24Hz correctly with the somewhat odd patterns of VFR video. 60 Hz with smooth motion is a good option IMO, is there a reason you do not like it?

I do not think it is it is likely to be a problem with madVR's refresh rate switching, it works properly for too many people.

Edit: I am highly suspicious that the crashes with anything but DX11 is due to AMD's driver, both AMD and Nvidia have had driver issues exposed by madVR in the past and there have been a lot of reports of issues with the latest Crimson drivers.

Edit2: Are you using Software decoding LAV? If not, try using it.
I always use LAV as it is inbuilt into the latest MPC-HC.

I had already tested this with the default Win10 provided drivers with the same results. The only way to be sure would be to reinstall Win10 from scratch. Not something I would willingly do lightly.

The only way I have got playback to work is by ticking DX11. Exclusive mode seems to work fine 'most' of the time but I have the odd video that gives a MadVR error in the top left corner. Sometimes they playback fine without exclusive mode selected.

What I have found is that unticking *BOTH* 'delay switch to exclusive mode by 3 seconds' and 'present several frames in adance' has helped prevent dropped frames when playing back VFR sources. Also running at 60Hz and selecting Smooth Motion does the same thing (not dropped frames on VFR).

Unticking 'Delay playback until render queue is full' prevents MPC-HC locking up with a blank screen on the HDTV going to fullscreen. If I open it on the monitor instead it plays back no problemo. If I then force it to fullscreen on the HDTV it just locks up MPC-HC.

BTW when I upgrade AMD's drivers I always DDU in safe mode.

Last edited by oddball; 11th September 2016 at 22:29.
Old 11th September 2016, 23:14   #233  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
I always use LAV as it is inbuilt into the latest MPC-HC.

I had already tested this with the default Win10 provided drivers with the same results. The only way to be sure would be to reinstall Win10 from scratch. Not something I would willingly do lightly.

The only way I have got playback to work is by ticking DX11. Exclusive mode seems to work fine 'most' of the time but I have the odd video that gives a MadVR error in the top left corner. Sometimes they playback fine without exclusive mode selected.

What I have found is that unticking *BOTH* 'delay switch to exclusive mode by 3 seconds' and 'present several frames in adance' has helped prevent dropped frames when playing back VFR sources. Also running at 60Hz and selecting Smooth Motion does the same thing (not dropped frames on VFR).

Unticking 'Delay playback until render queue is full' prevents MPC-HC locking up with a blank screen on the HDTV going to fullscreen. If I open it on the monitor instead it plays back no problemo. If I then force it to fullscreen on the HDTV it just locks up MPC-HC.

BTW when I upgrade AMD's drivers I always DDU in safe mode.
EDIT: MPC-BE does not lockup up when going fullscreen to my HDTV when all the above three options I mentioned are ticked. I tried setting MPC-BE exactly the same as MPC-HC is except MPC-BE does not have LAV built in so I used LAV as external filters. I tried uninstalling MPC-HC completely and reinstalled and as soon as I selected MadVR as the renderer it played once and once only with those 3 options ticked. After that it locks up again going fullscreen on the HDTV at launch. MPC-BE with LAV filters and everything set the same as in MPC-HC works perfectly. I don't know what that tells me really though. I still get dropped frames on VFR so it does not fix that issue.

EDIT2: OK simply by switching to MPC-BE has solved a lot of issues. Not all of them. But most. I can now play with DX11 unticked. I can also enable delay playback and I get a lot less dropped frames on VFR sources. I still have to untick 'present several frames in advance' on the exclusive section though.

Last edited by oddball; 11th September 2016 at 23:56.
Old 12th September 2016, 00:00   #234  |  Link
zmaster
nvidia user

Hello.
Google search not help with questions, so I posted here.
What is the "activate SuperRes filter" in chroma upscaling section? How to use it?
Now I use nnedi32+spline64 (upscaling 720p - 1080p for example), I do not see any difference "activate SuperRes filter" enabled\disabled. This filter works\need only when SuperRes activated in upscaling refinement section? Or what?
zmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 00:16   #235  |  Link
Asmodian

It does SuperRes to the chroma when upscaling it. To use it check the box. The upscaling refinement option does SuperRes to both the luma and chroma (actually RGB) after the chroma has been upscaled and the video converted to RGB. When used on the chroma only it is a subtle effect, especially when starting from such a sharp upscaling option.

Last edited by Asmodian; 12th September 2016 at 15:55. Reason: Corrected wording
Old 12th September 2016, 00:34   #236  |  Link
zmaster
nvidia user

Explain pls: using SuperRes in both sections (SuperRes filter in chroma upscaling section + SuperRes in upscaling refinement) it make sense? thx in advance.
zmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 00:43   #237  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, there are two independent upscaling steps needed, one to get the chroma to match the luma and one to scale the image to the display. SuperRes can be used on both.

Check out the flow chart in the second post, it might help make sense of the steps.

Last edited by Asmodian; 12th September 2016 at 15:56.
Old 18th September 2016, 16:37   #238  |  Link
P.J
Δ

Can you add some screenshot comparisons too?
P.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 16:45   #239  |  Link
Asmodian

No, sorry. This is not intended as a guide or to promote madVR. I simply want to describe what options are available and what they do.
Old 18th September 2016, 17:07   #240  |  Link
e-t172

Would it be possible to document the smooth motion settings a bit more? I understand what the "always" mode means, but I'm confused about what "only if there would be motion judder without it" means (what's the criteria, exactly? would it match 30p@60Hz? 24p@60Hz? 23.976p@60Hz? I have no idea), and I'm also confused about what "... or if the display refresh rate is an exact multiple of the movie frame rate" means (what's the meaning of the "... or"? And how is that different from "always"?). Can someone please explain? Up until know I've only used the "always" setting solely because I had no idea what the alternatives meant.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote