Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd March 2021, 14:57   #3981  |  Link
lordalibaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
For any hope for a solution you'll have to find a way to make available the unprocessed source files.
Yeah I will do, I will leave them separate and upload them to my 1fichier account.

I don't actually mind just using Staxrip to merge and convert them, I think what put me off doing it this way was it failing to merge the files quite a few times, but this was several years ago hence me using vobmerge to join them.
lordalibaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:05   #3982  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

There is really no reason for you to have to join the files manually. If you run into issues letting Staxrip or DGIndex(NV) process the non-joined source files, then make a report about that.

Another option if for some reason you must have a single VOB is to rip the DVD with DVDDecrypter with option File Splitting NONE in IFO Mode.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:31   #3983  |  Link
lordalibaski

I use DVDDecrypter but never used that option, would it actualy read the files when they are on my hard drive? Can't test it my self at the moment just doing some work.

Only asking this because these files are from actual VHS recordings to a Lite-on 760GX HDD/DVD device. I remove the hard drive from the device and transfer the recorded files over to my PC. I do it this way because I record in the highest settings if I burn the files to DVD with the device it loses quality. There is also the problem of burn failures with these old machines this is why I transfer the files to PC.
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:48   #3984  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Alright, DVDDecrypter is out for your use case. Just transfer the VOBs to your PC and then let Staxrip process them. As I said there is really no reason to want to merge them manually. But if you must then COPY /B is quite adequate.
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:57   #3985  |  Link
lordalibaski

The main reason why I do merge them is for when I do multiple conversions over night it's just been so much simpler to add single files than having to add multiple files for multiple conversions.

Maybe I need to do a template for when I am doing PAL conversions and one separate one for NTSC conversions. PAL is fine I can just add them and let it do it's job but with NTSC recordings I have to crop them manually and it can be time consuming, I could and should make this much easier for myself.

I have uploaded the files if you want to test them videoh but is it ok to message you the links I don't want to be leaving the links for everyone to grab because of bandwidth on my account.

If anyone else wants to have a look why this issue is happening with these files please say so and I will pm you the links to download.
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:13   #3986  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordalibaski View Post
I have uploaded the files if you want to test them videoh but is it ok to message you the links I don't want to be leaving the links for everyone to grab because of bandwidth on my account.
Sure, no problem. But I will also need a full description of how to produce your issue, together with version numbers of all tools you used. I won't download anything until I have that.
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:41   #3987  |  Link
lordalibaski

Sent I hope that's enough information you needed.
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:23   #3988  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

So far so good, thank you.

They are definitely .MPEG files and not VOBs. Investigating...
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:37   #3989  |  Link
lordalibaski

Yeah I know that mate explained it in pm.

I think they are mpeg.ps files, they come off the lite-on as content01,02 etc, then I rename the file extension to mpeg or vob so Staxrip recognises them, that's never been an issue.

If I name them mpeg ffmsindex will index the file before converting but when it does it knocks audio out of sync, when naming to .vob DGIndex will index the file and audio is perfect.
Old 2nd March 2021, 19:00   #3990  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Problem duplicated. Hot on the trail...
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:21   #3991  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

DGIndex was reading the filesize wrong for large files [regression when converting to use GetFileSize()]. This is fixed in DGMPGDec 2.0.0.5. Put 2.0.0.5 in your staxrip apps/support/dgmpgdec directory and update in the Apps dialog (you'll be prompted to do that by staxrip). Your problem should be history. Things only appeared related to the staxrip version because they include different versions of DGMPGDec.

Thank you, lordalibaski, for bringing this to light.

@staxrip guys

Please update to DGMPGDec 2.0.0.5. You have 2.0.0.2 in staxrip 2.1.8.4 beta. Thank you.

http://rationalqm.us/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec2005.zip

Rocky

Last edited by videoh; 12th March 2021 at 03:30.
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:23   #3992  |  Link
lordalibaski

Hmm...JKyle told me to do this the other day which I did I must have downloaded the same version.

Right mate without me sounding to daft I have just downloaded the latest version copied the files to \Stax\Apps\Support\DgMpgDec tested it and got this

Code:
Script Error

Cannot load a 32 bit DLL in 64 bit Avisynth: 'C:/Users/jimmy/Desktop/Stax/Apps/Support/DgMpgDec/DGDecode.dll'.

(C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\To Convert\2000 ITF_temp\2000 ITF_source.avs, line 2)
Tried it on a fresh install and it's still same error am I copying the wrong files over here?
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:34   #3993  |  Link
JKyle
App Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordalibaski View Post
Code:
Script Error

Cannot load a 32 bit DLL in 64 bit Avisynth: 'C:/Users/jimmy/Desktop/Stax/Apps/Support/DgMpgDec/DGDecode.dll'.

(C:\Users\jimmy\Desktop\To Convert\2000 ITF_temp\2000 ITF_source.avs, line 2)
Tried it on a fresh install and it's still same error am I copying the wrong files over here?
Replace DGDecode.dll with the one in the x64 subfolder.
JKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:55   #3994  |  Link
lordalibaski

Sorted had to copy 2 files over for it to work

The DGDecode.dll from the x64 subfolder.

and DGIndex.exe from the main folder.

Many thanks videoh for all your help looking into this it's been much appreciated knew you would come good in the end.

@ JKyle thanks for pointing me in the right direction in the 1st place.
Old 3rd March 2021, 00:19   #3995  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

You are most welcome, lordalibaski. Please let me know of any future anomalies if you run into any.
Old 4th March 2021, 17:13   #3996  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Is there a way to suspend a x265 encoding and resume after a machine reboot?
Old 4th March 2021, 19:44   #3997  |  Link
jlw_4049

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Is there a way to suspend a x265 encoding and resume after a machine reboot?
I dont believe this is possible

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2021, 21:34   #3998  |  Link
lordalibaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
You are most welcome, lordalibaski. Please let me know of any future anomalies if you run into any.
This is always the 1st place I come for help so I am sure I will be back again sometime asking for more advice and help.

Here is the end result of the file converted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDJBk1ZjQZU

Not much I can do with the sound on this video, I was told the cameraman was moving causing sound issues, sound being dropped from the left channel bit annoying but at least I did a decent recording and conversion of the event.

I have a question regarding this conversion as well at a later date just need to get all my information ready for when I ask the question.
Old 6th March 2021, 05:49   #3999  |  Link
craigpro

Hi all, I know it's very much a subject of personal opinion and source quality / content - but can anyone please recommend a good x265 / NVenc settings guide to keep as much quality as possible but reduce file sizes when resizing 1080p down to 720p? Google has plenty of 2015 etc. guides but not much recent info. Thank you.
craigpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2021, 11:17   #4000  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

There is something I need your help with x264 encoding.

Perhaps I am now a bit spoiled with x265 HBD support and I tried to have the same thing in x264.

I tried to use the x264 (8 bit) --input-depth 16 parameter (unfortunately no --dither found) but what I got is

avs [info]: AviSynth+ 3.7.0 (r3382, 3.7, x86_64)
avs [info]: avisynth 16bit hack enabled
avs [info]: 960x800 0:0 @ 24/1 fps (cfr)

instead of dealing with the original 1080p source.

Is there a way to let x264 properly manage a HDB source?