Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th March 2021, 10:28   #1  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

I Have Published a HDR10 to HLG Converter

Version 1.0.1 is out. Get it HERE.

Hello everyone:

The hour is late here in Idaho, but I have finally published something I've been working on for over a year now. It started when I decided to rip my Blu-ray library for personal use. This would allow me complete control over the copies and I could then freely put them on any of my devices. I ran into trouble when I went to consider how to handle my 4K discs. These use entirely different gamma and color from what my PC and laptop use. Effectively, I would have to rip both the 4K and standard Blu-ray discs to keep both my current SDR devices happy along with my future HDR ones. After thinking about this prospect of ripping both discs for 3/4 of a second, I decided to look into making these 4K discs viewable on existing devices. Enter HLG. What followed was studying piles of ITU-R printouts, experimenting, more studying, more experimenting, running around in some circles, and finally a (tentatively) complete product.

Anyway, enough of all this rambling. I need to get to bed, so here you go:

You can download current packages here: https://github.com/wswartzendruber/hlg-tools/releases
You can check out the top-level README for the project here: https://github.com/wswartzendruber/h...main/README.md. It contains the conversion guide.

I should probably disclose that I have not yet gotten my hands on a good HLG display, only a Samsung that left a lot to be desired. In fact, the SDR downconversion via MPV looked leaps and bounds better than that display's interesting interpretation of things. I did briefly get to evaluate a transcode on a much more expensive Samsung set, and that looked much better. In both cases, the TV recognized the signal as HLG.
-- Things are looking much better on the set that looked bad.

All right, it's 2:30 AM. I'm off to bed!

EDIT: Hold on just a minute! I forgot to credit FranceBB with helping me here and there along the way.

EDIT: And kolak, and SeeMoreDigital, and frank...

Last edited by wswartzendruber; 12th May 2022 at 03:04. Reason: Giving credit where it's due, and, a more future-proof releases link.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote