Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 3rd November 2019, 09:02   #17641  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
TBH, I haven't done any 4K encodes since getting the NVMe's, but that's not really what info I was after.

I know there's an option for RB to "wake up" DE server's, but I haven't had any success with that...

So despite how long the "wait" times are between encodes, there is STILL a period where the servers aren't doing anything, and as in my case, I have 6 hungry servers eating up power, when they could be asleep, or even better, OFF.

Under full load the "farm" uses approx 2400W, and I guess when they're idling, it would be maybe a 1/4 of that, so lets say 600W for say 10 - 15 minutes, several times a day, adds up to a lot of wasted energy.
Seems reasonable to me (the amount of power waste), but have you been able to suspend/sleep your computers and wake them remotely with other software? Might not be a RB issue. Not all of my computers fully support it.

Quote:
So what different software can do what RB can do ??

And AFAIK, the only way to have individual sessions of RB, is to have another client pc "sharing" the "farm", but that kinda defeats the purpose of doing large encodes using the whole farm for a process as fast as possible.
The full quote of what I said is important IMO
Quote:
unless you had a huge server farm, but at that point (no offense to RB) you should use different software or have more individual sessions of RB going.
Talking about a major server farm, which you don't have. There is other software but talking at a commercial level, so nothing free.
Are you trying to do it as fast as possible or trying to maximize CPU usage all of the time? I thought you wanted to maximize CPU usage, and in that case another RB sharing the server pool would be helpful.
If you want it as fast as possible than the way RB is now is better because you have every server waiting at the ready for the next job.
Like we've talked about the only thing that could speed that up a little is if another job started while the last job finished the muxing, but depending on your job and setup that can be a very minimal amount of time or like how you were doing it a lot of time.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 10:18   #17642  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
Seems reasonable to me (the amount of power waste), but have you been able to suspend/sleep your computers and wake them remotely with other software? Might not be a RB issue. Not all of my computers fully support it.
I have tried a couple of basic things, that seem to work.

Several years ago I installed a small app that monitored CPU usage (among other things), and you could set it up to either sleep, hibernate, or shutdown, once cpu usage dropped below a certain level, but I can't remember what it was

this:- http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/WinOFF.php#Download

I haven't tried a "sleep or hibernate" function yet, I was just "putting it out there"

So how do you set up RB to "wake up" a server ??, I have the options enabled in RB, I have all the MAC address & username's etc, but I have no success (but I haven't tried that recently)

Quote:
The full quote of what I said is important IMO
Sorry if I've upset you, but I did have the full quote, in the previous quote, and decided just to use that sentence for the next comment..check.

Quote:
Talking about a major server farm, which you don't have. There is other software but talking at a commercial level, so nothing free.
Are you trying to do it as fast as possible or trying to maximize CPU usage all of the time? I thought you wanted to maximize CPU usage, and in that case another RB sharing the server pool would be helpful.
If you want it as fast as possible than the way RB is now is better because you have every server waiting at the ready for the next job.
Like we've talked about the only thing that could speed that up a little is if another job started while the last job finished the muxing, but depending on your job and setup that can be a very minimal amount of time or like how you were doing it a lot of time.
Yes, I want to maximise CPU usage, to do it faster....

Not sure why you're suggesting another client doing other jobs....(which I do anyway), BUT on "big ass" encodes, 1 client, ALL the DE servers dedicated to that one job...isn't that utilising CPU usage, and getting it done as fast as possible ??? or am I missing something here.

Last edited by Pauly Dunne; 3rd November 2019 at 11:47. Reason: found shutdown app
Pauly Dunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 14:36   #17643  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
1) run encodingserver.exe on remote pc and take a screenshot.
2) run ripbot264.exe on your home pc. go to settings->Distributed encoding and show me what client ips are listed under CLIENT IP
3) Are you sure firewall on remote pc does block connection?
This is the screenshot from home pc:

http://mammutmail.com/hu/download/b8...be3d994bd7ec1e
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 15:09   #17644  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
This is the screenshot from home pc:

http://mammutmail.com/hu/download/b8...be3d994bd7ec1e
Have you checked firewall settings on your Work-PC? If EncodingClient can't connect to server (assuming that IP reported by EncodingServer is the same as you typed in RipBot264 settings) then I would suspect firewall issue.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 3rd November 2019 at 16:05.
Atak_Snajpera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 15:40   #17645  |  Link
mparade

This is the screenshot from work pc:

http://mammutmail.com/hu/download/c6...63ac5cd6bacaf4

I have double checked that firewall on work-PC has been switched off.

Server reported some "socket" problem right after it made contact with EncodingClient.

Last edited by mparade; 3rd November 2019 at 15:45.
Old 3rd November 2019, 15:59   #17646  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Server reported some "socket" problem right after it made contact with EncodingClient.
Too bad you didn't take a screenshot... That message is important.
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:29   #17647  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
My test clearly shows that you do not get true pixels. It looks like 2k upscale to 4k with added noise to fool you that It has more details.
Hi Atak_Snajpera
Did you find a solution for the HDR issue ?
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 20:17   #17648  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
Hi Atak_Snajpera
Did you find a solution for the HDR issue ?
yes...
Old 3rd November 2019, 21:12   #17649  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Too bad you didn't take a screenshot... That message is important.
There you are :

http://mammutmail.com/hu/download/f1...67fce26e0afa38
Old 3rd November 2019, 21:21   #17650  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Your home pc blocks connection from encodingserver. ( Connection timeout). Connection must be established in both ways. Check firewall settings on home pc.
Old 4th November 2019, 00:56   #17651  |  Link
mparade

After switching off firewall completely on home-pc result is still the same. Should I reopen encodingserver.exe and reconfigure servers on work-pc?

Now I got this error message on work-pc:

http://mammutmail.com/hu/download/2f...f2ab46cbf28579

Last edited by mparade; 4th November 2019 at 09:20.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:21   #17652  |  Link
duffbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
Though what is stranger is the huge amount of difference it is between HD and 4K. Is there an option to use a different decoder for the auto detect boards and new frame option. I notice things got really slow for me around the time lsmash was implemented.

The VM has been fine, but a little slow in general, but overall, it got the job done. Now though the Gathering Information on anything related to 4K sources seems to take a very long time.

Oh, one other thing, is it still necessary to convert .sup to .sub when rendering subtitles?
You're not alone. I reported this issue quite a while ago and nothing has changed.
I have a 9900K based PC that is a dedicated encoder. I have the same delay issues as you. If I go back to 1.24.1 everything is OK.
Right now it takes me about 90 mins to queue up a 4K source. Cropping seems to be really slow.
duffbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 13:01   #17653  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
After switching off firewall completely on home-pc result is still the same. Should I reopen encodingserver.exe and reconfigure servers on work-pc?

Now I got this error message on work-pc:

http://mammutmail.com/hu/download/2f...f2ab46cbf28579
You are still behind some extra firewall/antivirus on home-pc. There is some software on your PC or settings which actively refuse connection. In first case (socket error 10060) connection was totally ignored hence timedout message. Now after disabling your firewall you get at least different error message. I suspect that extra "layer of protection" (different software) is now rejecting incoming connection with proper message.

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 4th November 2019 at 13:08.
Old 4th November 2019, 14:48   #17654  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
You're not alone. I reported this issue quite a while ago and nothing has changed.
I have a 9900K based PC that is a dedicated encoder. I have the same delay issues as you. If I go back to 1.24.1 everything is OK.
Right now it takes me about 90 mins to queue up a 4K source. Cropping seems to be really slow.
90 minutes seems about same for me as well and about 15 minute chunks as well.
Pull in a 4K: Long time, but this seem CPU bound now, so no complaints here.
Second Audio THD source (Gathering Information): 15 Minutes
Autocrop Frames: 15-30 minutes
Leave Avisysnth Windows (Gathering Information) 5-15 minutes

Waiting to buy a Epyc rome processor. Then I'll do tests again. I'm currently tuning my VMs for the new SSD raidz2. Don't expect to see much improvement there as the bottle neck seems to be CPU bound now.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 16:20   #17655  |  Link
duffbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
90 minutes seems about same for me as well and about 15 minute chunks as well.
Pull in a 4K: Long time, but this seem CPU bound now, so no complaints here.
Second Audio THD source (Gathering Information): 15 Minutes
Autocrop Frames: 15-30 minutes
Leave Avisysnth Windows (Gathering Information) 5-15 minutes

Waiting to buy a Epyc rome processor. Then I'll do tests again. I'm currently tuning my VMs for the new SSD raidz2. Don't expect to see much improvement there as the bottle neck seems to be CPU bound now.
I don't think it is CPU bound. I don't run any VMs on my PC - it is a 9900K and has nothing else installed on it.
I would like to know how some people are using 1.25 without setup speed issues and some are not.
1.24.1 was fine so the latest version has been broken as far as I'm concerned.
duffbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 16:58   #17656  |  Link
byteshare
ByteShare

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
I don't think it is CPU bound. I don't run any VMs on my PC - it is a 9900K and has nothing else installed on it.
I would like to know how some people are using 1.25 without setup speed issues and some are not.
1.24.1 was fine so the latest version has been broken as far as I'm concerned.
On a Ryzen 1700 and SSD it doesn't take that much time. Are you hitting 100% CPU when the auto crop is going?

Quote:
So how do you set up RB to "wake up" a server ??, I have the options enabled in RB, I have all the MAC address & username's etc, but I have no success (but I haven't tried that recently)
If you fill in the MAC address info it should be working. If it is not, test that you can get your PC to wake up remotely without RB but either another app or application.

Quote:
Sorry if I've upset you, but I did have the full quote, in the previous quote, and decided just to use that sentence for the next comment..check.
Didn’t upset me but without the rest of the context it seemed like a completely different point.

Quote:
Yes, I want to maximise CPU usage, to do it faster....
Not sure why you're suggesting another client doing other jobs....(which I do anyway), BUT on "big ass" encodes, 1 client, ALL the DE servers dedicated to that one job...isn't that utilising CPU usage, and getting it done as fast as possible ??? or am I missing something here.
I’m saying if you want it the fastest it is already setup to go pretty fast, once you solved the muxing problem. I’m saying if you want it to be more efficient then setting up a second RB would solve that problem. I was saying if you want both since the Dev doesn’t have an interest right now in changing how the jobs work, than you’d likely need some expensive software to do that. I’m not sure exactly your need for both fast and efficient but I am happy with just efficiency in RB, which is why I use it over other software.
byteshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 23:08   #17657  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
You are still behind some extra firewall/antivirus on home-pc. There is some software on your PC or settings which actively refuse connection. In first case (socket error 10060) connection was totally ignored hence timedout message. Now after disabling your firewall you get at least different error message. I suspect that extra "layer of protection" (different software) is now rejecting incoming connection with proper message.
Ok, thanks. I don't have any idea. Firewall switched off completely on both machines + neither of them has antivirus installed.
This is what I still get:

Quote:
[2019-11-04 20:49:22] Client established connection with server.
[2019-11-04 20:49:22] Command "CONNECT" received from client.
[2019-11-04 20:49:22] Connecting with client... (192.168.88.178:1011)
[2019-11-04 20:49:24] Socket Error # 10061
Connection refused.
Old 4th November 2019, 23:32   #17658  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

By the way. Are you using VPN built in windows or you use other custom software? What are other ips detected in client IP combobox? What does Adapter description show for each extra IP?

Last edited by Atak_Snajpera; 4th November 2019 at 23:46.
Old 5th November 2019, 00:04   #17659  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteshare View Post
If you fill in the MAC address info it should be working. If it is not, test that you can get your PC to wake up remotely without RB but either another app or application.
I had a bit of a play around with this yesterday, and it seems that some of my SMC boards don't support the S3 power settings in BIOS, so it won't wake, but I can at least shut them down remotely.

Quote:
Didn’t upset me but without the rest of the context it seemed like a completely different point.
OK, good, and fair enough, I guess I thought I didn't need to double up on the quotes..

Quote:
I’m saying if you want it the fastest it is already setup to go pretty fast, once you solved the muxing problem. I’m saying if you want it to be more efficient then setting up a second RB would solve that problem. I was saying if you want both since the Dev doesn’t have an interest right now in changing how the jobs work, than you’d likely need some expensive software to do that. I’m not sure exactly your need for both fast and efficient but I am happy with just efficiency in RB, which is why I use it over other software.
I guess I'll work with what I've got, I am yet to do a "big ass" 4K encode, but I think the NVMe's will make a big difference at the end of the process, not so much at the start.

I'm puzzled by the long times that other user's are talking about, I might do some test's and post the results.

Cheers
Old 5th November 2019, 00:22   #17660  |  Link
Ryushin

CPU Upgrade

Atak,

Going to buy a temporary CPU from Ebay. Wondering if it's more important to have hertz or cores for Ripbot. Looking at a 6 core 2.6Ghz or a 8 core 2.0Ghz.

Found out my current CPU goes for $6.00 now on Ebay. LOL
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360