Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st March 2024, 10:07   #64661  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Thanks for the tip. I found a download of madVRhdrMeasure113, is that what you are referring too?

I'm assuming that is quite old?
It may be old but it is working without the expiration date, if you want new use the latest beta until it expires...
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 10:16   #64662  |  Link
Zoltrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
It may be old but it is working without the expiration date, if you want new use the latest beta until it expires...
Thanks, yes you correct, 113 doesn't expire, just did a quick test. I'll give it a go and see if that gets rid of the black flashing again.

Are there any major downsides to staying on an old version?
Zoltrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 12:53   #64663  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltrix View Post
Thanks, yes you correct, 113 doesn't expire, just did a quick test. I'll give it a go and see if that gets rid of the black flashing again.

Are there any major downsides to staying on an old version?
If you are obsessed with hdr to sdr via pixel shaders, then yes you will need the latest beta, if not then you are ok.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 13:43   #64664  |  Link
Zoltrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
If you are obsessed with hdr to sdr via pixel shaders, then yes you will need the latest beta, if not then you are ok.
Yep that is the only reason I use it, for the HDR to SDR via pixel shaders.
Old 31st March 2024, 15:16   #64665  |  Link
Sunspark

@Alexkral What happens with the mpc-be seek bar and madvr?
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2024, 21:03   #64666  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
@Alexkral What happens with the mpc-be seek bar and madvr?
I put the 0.92.17 files back in and now it seems that the issue is gone with mpc-hc as well, strange because it was happening with different movies. Meanwhile, the only thing that has changed is the update of the GPU driver, but I also checked it right after updating the driver and then it was still happening. It may be that madVR files or settings were corrupted.
Old 1st April 2024, 03:04   #64667  |  Link
ng4ever

Will MadVR make simple YouTube videos look better or not really ?
ng4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2024, 15:54   #64668  |  Link
Amuat

Seems that nobody can tell me what to do with display modes, but I also have another question: my monitor identification in madVR says that dynamic metadata is still not supported, even though I now have HDMI 2.1 connection and a monitor that supports both HDR10+ and DolbyVision. The latter requires a special program to work on Windows as I understand, but shouldn't the former at least be supported without any such program?
Amuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2024, 18:36   #64669  |  Link
Charky

Madvr does not support Dolby Vision and, IIRC, HDR10+.

TBH, for the last 6+ years, madvr development has been virtually stopped (people pixel-peeping at endless color variations of the same 10 screenshots for 6 years and 19K posts don't count).

Unless you desperately need something other renderers don't have, maybe consider switching to something more recent, more robust, and with active development, like Nevcairiel's JRVR (in JRiver), MPC Video Renderer (in MPC-HC and BE), or, if you like obscure text conf files, mpv, all of them being able to play Dolby Vision files, albeit in an unconventional way.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Last edited by Charky; 1st April 2024 at 18:39.
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2024, 16:13   #64670  |  Link
Amuat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
Madvr does not support Dolby Vision and, IIRC, HDR10+.

TBH, for the last 6+ years, madvr development has been virtually stopped (people pixel-peeping at endless color variations of the same 10 screenshots for 6 years and 19K posts don't count).

Unless you desperately need something other renderers don't have, maybe consider switching to something more recent, more robust, and with active development, like Nevcairiel's JRVR (in JRiver), MPC Video Renderer (in MPC-HC and BE), or, if you like obscure text conf files, mpv, all of them being able to play Dolby Vision files, albeit in an unconventional way.
Thank you for your advice. I quite desperately need reduce compression artifacts coupled with cranking up sharpness on my monitor to be honest, works almost like magic in eliminating ugly noise in the background while still keeping the image sharp where it needs to be. So unless that can be accomplished with those other renderers, dynamic HDR is not worth it for me. Anyway the videos that support it are just a fraction of what I watch, so maybe I'll just use another player for those, without any fancy processing. Could I just use something like VLC for those, or what would be the most simple, decent player supporting the technology?
Amuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2024, 18:06   #64671  |  Link
Charky

I generally only use high quality sources so slight sharepning aside, I don't feel the need to use any fancy shader.

So I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you can find efficient deblockers and denoisers out there as shaders you can use with any player that supports them. You'll probably need a bit of trial & error though. And alas, I admit that won't be as easy as ticking a box in madvr.

Old 3rd April 2024, 06:04   #64672  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Will MadVR make simple YouTube videos look better or not really ?
Yes, but the same could be said of other renderers as well.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2024, 00:32   #64673  |  Link
Megalith

Are all of the recent developments/improvements related to SDR > HDR conversion only? I think my version is outdated, but I already have a TV that can do native HDR, so...
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2024, 06:29   #64674  |  Link
Zoltrix

I ended up giving MPC Video Renderer a go, but have switched back to the old madVRhdrMeasure113. Even though I guess it's old, it still looked better to me. And I am mainly using it for HDR to SDR tone mapping.
Old 7th April 2024, 12:04   #64675  |  Link
ryrynz

Gave it a go myself multiple times but madVR just somehow displays smoother, even without Smooth Motion enabled. Probably use it for another ten years at least..
Old 8th April 2024, 12:17   #64676  |  Link
Charky

I fail to see how one of these renderers could be "smoother" (whatever that means), provided they are both properly configured.

Old 8th April 2024, 12:47   #64677  |  Link
ryrynz

Smoother is literally less jarring panning and general frame presentation. There's nothing to "set up" in other renderers, so nothing is set "incorrectly" thanks.
Old 14th April 2024, 18:20   #64678  |  Link
tp4tissue

The gamma correction option BT.709/601. Is this essentially converting from whatever the setting is under "this display is already calibrated"--> into the SRGB 2.2 tone curve?

Calibrating to the SRGB tone curve (the one that goes shwoop into black) looks almost identical to using this setting when calibrated to purepower 2.4

This seems to be useful on alot of old blurays which may have been graded on CRTs and look way too dark in the shadow regions. Heck, alot of modern bluray shadows look way too dark for purepower 2.4, but this might be because they're grading to a black floor that's not purepower all the way down?

Thoughts guys? NE SRGB proponent/haters want to chime in?

Last edited by tp4tissue; 14th April 2024 at 18:39.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 21:05   #64679  |  Link
huhn

should be the bt 709 gamma curve that is used no where outside of how camera record. it has an effective gamma of around 2 not like sRGB which is around 2.22

sRGB is not close to CRT response BT 1886 is supposed to be.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 22:43   #64680  |  Link
tp4tissue

Unfortunately the tpg doesn't allow me to measure the 709/601 tone curve option, I can't say for sure what's happening.

I've read alot of conflicting information around BT1886. There was no agreement to use it among colorists until as recently as 2016+. And alot of material was graded on CRT throughout the years, which May or May-Not have been calibrated to SRGB.

Overall, opinions seem to say 1886 is pretty new as far as standards go. With older blurays/ DVDs, you can definitely see these were not meant for 1886. No idea what the colorists used, but it was not 1886, simply too much crush with flat 2.4, I've personally tested this on both CRTs and qdoled calibrated to purepower 2.4

Huhn, have you tried the 709/601 option with these older material? The shadow details pop right out, and it definitely looks more correct.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling