Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 26th November 2020, 12:22   #1  |  Link
Satoshi18

HEVC settings

Hello, I previously used following settings for hi10p, ref=16:subme=11:rellis=2
what HEVC settings do I need to configure to get a good encode(in handbrake)?
Satoshi18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2020, 14:10   #2  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

You're using too many reference frames. 16 is way too much, even for anime encodings. Good values for feature films/film series is between 4 and 6. Anything higher is not beneficial and can actually degrade quality for live action content. For anime, you can up it by 2 more

As for comparable settings for x265, that'll be ref=6:subme=5:rd=6. However, there are other things to tweak like psy-rd and psy-rdoq. I like using high values for these options (psy-rd=4 and psy-rdoq=16). A qcomp of 0.7 is also nice. Also, using aq mode 1 seems to give most of the time the best subjective quality. The other aq modes are too unpredictable and some just waste bits for no apparent image improvement

Last edited by microchip8; 26th November 2020 at 14:19.
microchip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2020, 15:05   #3  |  Link
Satoshi18

oh ok, thanks for the info
Old 28th November 2020, 16:51   #4  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

You should do a test-encode first (I prefer lower psy-rdoq), write this in your Avisynth+ script to only encode the first 1000 frames:
Trim (0,1000)

BTW, I tried setting a higher --ref than 6 in x265, but x265 showed error and exited.
Forteen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 13:04   #5  |  Link
Satoshi18

Quote:
Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
You're using too many reference frames. 16 is way too much, even for anime encodings. Good values for feature films/film series is between 4 and 6. Anything higher is not beneficial and can actually degrade quality for live action content. For anime, you can up it by 2 more

As for comparable settings for x265, that'll be ref=6:subme=5:rd=6. However, there are other things to tweak like psy-rd and psy-rdoq. I like using high values for these options (psy-rd=4 and psy-rdoq=16). A qcomp of 0.7 is also nice. Also, using aq mode 1 seems to give most of the time the best subjective quality. The other aq modes are too unpredictable and some just waste bits for no apparent image improvement
But I had thought for anime, more reference frames, more quality, better compression etc?
Old 1st December 2020, 15:44   #6  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoshi18 View Post
But I had thought for anime, more reference frames, more quality, better compression etc?
It's placebo. Above 10 ref frames you won't notice a difference in anime encoding
Old 4th December 2020, 12:59   #7  |  Link
larisk2

1)There is a lot of information on the web that the H. 264 or H. 265 format can be opened by programs for Windows.
I had to spend a lot of time to download and install all this software. As a result, no application was able to play the video in part 264. How can I open the H264 file from a surveillance camera?
larisk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 14:15   #8  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Surveillance camera makers often have proprietary codec implementations.
You have to install their codec on your system.
Throw the offending file on mediainfo, note down the fourcc.
(Geovision MPEG-4 AVC coming into my mind, I had to do the same, going to their website, download and install their codec).

Last edited by Emulgator; 4th December 2020 at 14:17.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote