Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 9th February 2016, 23:37   #1  |  Link
Manni

Solution to switch between bistreaming and LPCM on the fly in LAV

Users of a D&M AVRs which can be upgraded to DTS:X (X6200W, X7200W, SR7010, 8802, etc) face an issue, which is that after the DTS:X upgrade, you can only apply DSU to Dolby tracks and Neural:X to DTS tracks.

The only way around this is to switch between bitstream (which is necessary for native Atmos and DTS:X tracks or the processor doesn't get the immersive sound metadata) and LPCM (which makes it possible to apply any upmixer, but doesn't work with immersive audio tracks as it doesn't pass-through the metadata).

Unfortunately LAV Filter doesn't allow to specify a different bistreaming option for Atmos and Dolby TrueHD, or for DTS:X and DTS-HD.

I asked Nevcairiel and it's not something he's considering implementing at the moment. I totally respect this as it might be a very small number of his users who are concerned by this. Possibly even just me around here (although not at AVS Forums) .

As more manufacturers (Yamaha, etc) upgrade their models to DTS:X, more users might be concerned.

I have found a solution until this is supported internally maybe one day, so I though I'd share it here for others who might be experiencing the same issue.

Here is the workaround:

1) In LAV Audio settings, just set all the bitstreaming options off in LAV.
2) In Regedit, export the LAV/Audio section to a registry file called LAV_Bitstreaming_Off. Leave regedit.
3) Back in LAV Audio settings, set all the bitstreaming options on.
4) Re-Launch regedit, and export the LAV/Audio section to a registry file called LAV_Bitstreaming_On. Leave Regedit.

Note: You can also change the options in the registry without using LAV Settings if you know what you're doing.

5) Then create a .bat file called bitstreaming_off.bat with the following content:
@echo off
regedit.exe /s [PATH TO BATCH FILE]/LAV_Bitstream_off.reg
6) Do the same with a bitstreaming_on.bat containing:
@echo off
regedit.exe /s [PATH TO BATCH FILE]/LAV_Bitstream_on.reg

Then you only have to call each .bat file to switch between bitstream and LPCM, before launching the player of course (it's fine to do it from MyMovies or any front end as long as it's before you launch the player, the changes won't register if the player/LAV is already launched, it will only work after a re-launch).

You can put a shortcut on your desktop or in the start menu, but as I use my HTPC in a home cinema I've added a few lines to my MCE Controller config file so that I can launch each bat file from iRule.

Switching bitstream on/off in LAV is as simple as pushing a button on the iPad now.

Not as elegant as an internal option which could be automatic, as we could only enable bitstreaming for Atmos and DTS:X tracks, but I thought I'd share this in case others face the issue as it's a decent workaround.

Main downside is that if you change any LAV Audio settings after this, you have to re-export both reg files, otherwise the changes in the audio settings will be gone when you launch one of the batch files.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 22nd January 2018 at 22:12.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 20:14   #2  |  Link
Stereodude

Wait, you can't run PLIIx on top of 5.1 DTS-HD MA with the latest D&M units?
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 22:04   #3  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Wait, you can't run PLIIx on top of 5.1 DTS-HD MA with the latest D&M units?
PLII is gone on all recent D&M models with Atmos (2014 and 2015), it's replaced by DSU.
Just like Neo:X is replaced by Neural:X after the DTS:X upgrade.

DSU (dolby Surround) is the new upmixer. If the tracks are bitstreamed, it only works on Dolby tracks.

Same with Neural:X. If the tracks are bitstreamed, it only works on DTS tracks.

If you want to apply Neural:X to any dolby track, including Dolby TrueHD, you have to use LPCM.

Same for applying DSU to any DTS track including DTS-HD, it won't work if bitstreaming, will only work on LPCM.

As Atmos and DTS:X need bitstream, hence the need for the workaround above, unless you've happy not having a choice regarding which upmixer you'd prefer to use depending on content and keep bitstream enabled all the time for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.
Old 11th February 2016, 01:40   #4  |  Link
Stereodude

Oh, I can see I'm behind on things. I didn't realize PLII and Neo:X went bye-bye. You learn something new every day.

Thanks!
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 02:11   #5  |  Link
Manni

Just came across that old thread and I thought I should update it to let people know that the X7200WA has received a f/w update a while ago that allows cross upmixing (Neural:X on Dolby tracks and DSU on DTS tracks). So the hack described in this thread isn't necessary anymore (at least with the X7200WA).

Tags
bitstreaming, lav filters, lpcm, on the fly, upmixers