Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 9th May 2024, 15:05   #301  |  Link
Kuler087

I think the correct way is no flag like the oppo/x800m2/ATV/Shield do but on my C2 it doesn't make a difference and the flag is always ignored.
Old 9th May 2024, 17:47   #302  |  Link
jayper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuler087 View Post
I think the correct way is no flag like the oppo/x800m2/ATV/Shield do but on my C2 it doesn't make a difference and the flag is always ignored.
Always appreciate your time and expertise. Just sent a donation your way for all the efforts.
jayper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2024, 18:00   #303  |  Link
Kuler087

thank you

did i give you access to my generated RPU google drive link? if no and if you're interested, PM me.
Old 17th May 2024, 02:27   #304  |  Link
javieracdc

Hi
Sorry for my noob question but how can I convert to STSL from a mkv files that has originally STDL?
I would like to convert it to Blu ray using tsmuxer.

this is the mediainfo of the file:

HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, Profile 8.4, dvhe.08.05, BL+RPU, no metadata compression, HLG compatible

Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
javieracdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2024, 03:04   #305  |  Link
Kuler087

Your file has a HLG base layer(profile 8.4). I doubt it was STDL originally.
Anyway, you can't convert profile 8 ST-SL to profile 7 DT-DL without the original EL.
Old 17th May 2024, 15:39   #306  |  Link
javieracdc

Quote:
Your file has a HLG base layer(profile 8.4). I doubt it was STDL originally.
Anyway, you can't convert profile 8 ST-SL to profile 7 DT-DL without the original EL.
arent there any chance to convert to any profile a STSL?
Old 17th May 2024, 16:46   #307  |  Link
Kuler087

your file is already single track single layer.
Old 17th May 2024, 17:18   #308  |  Link
javieracdc

Quote:
your file is already single track single layer.
When I convert this original file (MOV file) to mKV using handbrake (x265 bit 10 encoder) and later open the MKV file using tsmuxer and convert it to Blu Ray, this appears STDL warning
Old 17th May 2024, 20:06   #309  |  Link
Kuler087

Well I don't know. According to your mediainfo, there is no 2nd layers.

HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, Profile 8.4, dvhe.08.05, BL+RPU, no metadata compression, HLG compatible
Old 18th May 2024, 13:07   #310  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

I am a total noob about HDR video, so forgive me in advance.

If I have a DoVi UHD, how should apply the script if my final result has to be processed by DGCube or DGHDRtoSDR or DGHDRtoHLG?

I know that I can rip a DoVi compliant mkv with Matroska GUI but once I have a DoVI, what should I do?

I don't care to keep DoVi in the output file at all, just HLG or SDR but I want to use the 4k video to have 10/12 bit, better compression and wider range.
Old 18th May 2024, 15:13   #311  |  Link
Kuler087

Quote:
my final result has to be processed by DGCube or DGHDRtoSDR or DGHDRtoHLG?
The script doesn't use any of these and cannot convert HDR10 to HLG.

If you just want HDR to SDR tone mapping(workflow 8-2-2), the script relies on libplacebo and the SDR TM settings can be adjusted between lines 135-141.
When I convert HDR to SDR, I prefer delivering the original 100-nits trim pass from the Dolby Vision metadata since it respects the artistic intent of the colorist/director but this is a much longer/complicated process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM56zLpKDQ8&t=2s
Old 18th May 2024, 19:58   #312  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
The script doesn't use any of these and cannot convert HDR10 to HLG.
I know and perhaps I wrote in a bad way what I wanted.

How to convert DoVi to a HDR format that can be processed by AVS+ without having to deal with dynamic metadata?
Old 18th May 2024, 21:19   #313  |  Link
Kuler087

Quote:
How to convert DoVi to a HDR format that can be processed by AVS+ without having to deal with dynamic metadata?
Sorry but now I'm confused...
From your initial question, I understand that you just want to convert a HDR format (DV-P7/P8/P5,HDR10 or HLG) to SDR which is exactly what dovi_scripts workflow 8-2-2 does but uses vapoursynth instead of AVS.
You don't have to deal with any metadata, everything is automated in that workflow and the outcome will be a hevc 10bit rec709 stream tone mapped from your HDR source with libplacebo.
Old 19th May 2024, 01:49   #314  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Never mind, things got screwed up. My bad, apologies. Please delete this post
You should be able to delete any of your posts, yourself, simply:-

Choose "Edit", then "Delete" (bottom right corner), then "Delete Message" (on the bottom left), then back over to the right bottom corner, and "Delete this Message"....done

RipBot264 modded builds..
*new* x264 & x265 addon packs..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2024, 10:00   #315  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Sorry but now I'm confused
Sorry, my english is not so good and unfortunately telepathy isn't a real thing.

I just want to have a stream that I can process as if it were a PQ one, without any DoVi metadata.

DoVi -> PQ -> my script to have SDR or HLG.

I want to have control on noise reduction etc.
Old 19th May 2024, 11:00   #316  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Choose "Edit", then "Delete" (bottom right corner), then "Delete Message" (on the bottom left), then back over to the right bottom corner, and "Delete this Message"....done
Thank you TDS, deleting post went well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayper View Post
Sorry to ask this here, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer on the CoreELEC forums. For the Ugoos AM6b+, I understand that the device hardware is fixed at outputting a rec709 flag.
Sorry to get back on this rather late, but can you provide with a link to where this is discussed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayper View Post
But there are two options presented to change this via ssh:

echo Y > /sys/module/hdmitx20/parameters/dovi_tv_led_no_colorimetry
echo Y > /sys/module/hdmitx20/parameters/dovi_tv_led_bt2020
Dolby Vision looking good on my Ugoos now, I never touched SSH and am wondering what good both settings would do. The way I've learned it - please do correct me if I misunderstand something - is that with tv-led the video is decoded to YUV, composed (in case of extra FEL videodata) and together with RPU subsampled in a 8 bit RGB container for HDMI tunneling. Where the receiving part (display) will take RPU and do the dynamic tonemapping. Colorspace data already present in the decoded & composed video, wouldn't setting one of both SSH params add to confusion for the receiving part? And what to think about DoVi P5 where proprietary non-BT2020 colorspace is used? I can imagine setting BT2020 flag has a devastating effect.

Last edited by von Suppé; 19th May 2024 at 11:03.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2024, 13:33   #317  |  Link
Kuler087

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Sorry, my english is not so good and unfortunately telepathy isn't a real thing.

I just want to have a stream that I can process as if it were a PQ one, without any DoVi metadata.

DoVi -> PQ -> my script to have SDR or HLG.

I want to have control on noise reduction etc.
Ok, you must meant DoVi profile 5, because the base layer of DV P8-P7 is already in PQ HDR10.

So let me describe what DoVi_Scripts can do:

8-2-1:
Can convert ANY HDR input (DVP5P8P7, HLG, HDR10) to PQ HDR10. This will re-encode to hevc rec2020 HDR10

8-2-2:
Can convert ANY HDR input (DVP5P8P7, HLG, HDR10) to SDR. This will re-encode to hevc rec709 SDR...

So the workflow in DoVi_Scripts to convert DV-P5(or any HDR source) to PQ-HDR10 is 8-2-1. The stream will still have DV metadata but it doesn't matter for what you want to do...

7-2(manual mode):
You can also create an AVS+ script with workflow 7-2 and add anything you wish(denoise etc). then you can encode that script to whatever format you want.

Old 19th May 2024, 13:37   #318  |  Link
Kuler087

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post

Dolby Vision looking good on my Ugoos now, I never touched SSH and am wondering what good both settings would do. The way I've learned it - please do correct me if I misunderstand something - is that with tv-led the video is decoded to YUV, composed (in case of extra FEL videodata) and together with RPU subsampled in a 8 bit RGB container for HDMI tunneling. Where the receiving part (display) will take RPU and do the dynamic tonemapping. Colorspace data already present in the decoded & composed video, wouldn't setting one of both SSH params add to confusion for the receiving part? And what to think about DoVi P5 where proprietary non-BT2020 colorspace is used? I can imagine setting BT2020 flag has a devastating effect.
It depends on your TV. The flag definitely had an effect on my old LG C8 but on my LG C2, the flag is always ignored and it doesn't make any difference.

The best approach is to use no flag IMO.
Old 25th May 2024, 07:24   #319  |  Link
Lucky38

@Kuler087,

I have video in 4k DoVi profile 5 with black bars. i would like to resize it to 1080p and crop it. What i usually do in this case:

1) use your script to extract RPU and crop it;
2) open Staxrip and use same avisnth filters to do resize and crop.

I have noticed that your script shows information about black bars (top, bottom) 263px, but when i do cropping in Staxrip it crop only 262px due to output mod=2. This provide final resolution 1920x818 (it has additonal 1px on top and bottom) instead 1920x816 (without any additional black pixel).

https://imgur.com/a/dqY64it

According to Staxrip developer cropping (top, bottom) by 264px will break the metadata. Cropping by 264px gives in my opinion propper resolution 1920x816.

But my main question is: What will happen with RPU when i do cropping by 264px instead of 262px with metadata in RPU?

Last edited by Lucky38; 25th May 2024 at 07:33.
Lucky38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 13:47   #320  |  Link
Kuler087

If 264/264 is the correct crop for the base layer video, you will not break the metadata because when you crop the RPU, the active area (L5) becomes 0/0 which is the correct value for any video without black bars.
If you crop the BL to 262/262 and there's a remaining 1/1 pixel row top/bottom, then set L5 to 1/1.

L5 is not too complicated to understand, it tells the Display how many pixels of black bar there are in the BL video and the Display will then ignore those offsets for the tone mapping.

Tags
batch scripts, dolby vision processing, dovi_scripts