Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2017, 22:09   #3501  |  Link
mkver

Are you telling me I should use MaskTools instead of Levels (I have already thought about it, but I wanted to know whether this is a bug in Levels or not first)? Or are you thinking that Levels is part of MaskTools?
Anyway, thanks for answering.
Old 2nd July 2017, 00:11   #3502  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Sorry I didn't read correctly and mixed things up when you mentioned LUT. Forget what I said. I'll leave Pinterf answer.

If it uses a LUT table, however, it's likely it might use a similar logic.
Old 2nd July 2017, 00:50   #3503  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Levels always uses a LUT currently. There's a comment in the code that says runtime evaluation is todo for 32-bit float input.

The reason it eats so much memory with dithering enabled is that enabling dithering multiplies the LUT size by 256; see line 179 and the subsequent allocation on line 195.
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:57   #3504  |  Link
mkver

Thanks for pointing to the source. And what's the logic that makes a 10bit LUT use the same memory as a 16bit LUT? Is it because of the "garbage" mentioned here? (Garbage means that the most significant bits aren't necessarily zero, although they should be, or?)
And because IsYUV is true for Y8-Y16, line 193 and line 203 imply that a chroma LUT is created for monochrome formats.
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:21   #3505  |  Link
tebasuna51

I found a difference between Avs+ and AviSynth 2.60 behaviour.

This script with Avs+:

Code:
WavSource("16-bit-int.wav")
SSRC(44100)
don't work with Avs+ and show a error: Input audio sample format to SSRC must be float.

Work fine with AviSynth 2.60 and output a Float wav like be expected by documentation :

"Audio is always converted to Float."

Please, instead show the error, do the conversion automatically.
Old 3rd July 2017, 19:10   #3506  |  Link
qyot27
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
I found a difference between Avs+ and AviSynth 2.60 behaviour.

This script with Avs+:

Code:
WavSource("16-bit-int.wav")
SSRC(44100)
don't work with Avs+ and show a error: Input audio sample format to SSRC must be float.

Work fine with AviSynth 2.60 and output a Float wav like be expected by documentation :

"Audio is always converted to Float."

Please, instead show the error, do the conversion automatically.
That change was done deliberately, and is a long-acknowledged difference in behavior, because it was a conscious choice to enforce that AviSynth+ won't do implicit conversions between formats. Erroring out here isn't any different from other errors regarding filters not supporting X pixel format for video. You have to use ConvertTo there if you try giving a filter the wrong format, if you have int audio and want to give it to SSRC, then use ConvertAudioToFloat on it first. Either that, or the SSRC filter itself should be extended to actually support int audio input.

This should instead be mentioned in the AviSynth+ page on the wiki, since you can't expect other AviSynth+ changes to be true for 2.6's doc entries either, save for Plus revisions to be explicitly noted (there are some places it is, right?). I thought the 'no implicit conversions' decision was mentioned on the AviSynth+ page at some point, but may have gotten lost in the updates and that page getting split up.
Old 3rd July 2017, 20:24   #3507  |  Link
tebasuna51

I can't understand for what introduce unnecesary differences with the standard Avisynth behavior.

Is only a way to obtain bug reports, like mine.

I think I read all Avs+ docs and don't see nothing about it.
Old 3rd July 2017, 20:57   #3508  |  Link
manolito

I totally agree with tebasuna. The "+" in AVS+ stands for "Everything which standard AVS has, and then plus a lot of other things". At least this is how it should be.

Breaking backward compatibility is a BAD thing, and it's even worse if it is not a bug, but a deliberate design decision. Even if you think that the standard AVS design is wrong, you cannot just change it because of the huge installed standard AVS user base. If you want to change the design then do something completely different like VapourSynth.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 3rd July 2017 at 22:53.
Old 3rd July 2017, 21:01   #3509  |  Link
Sharc

Agree, +1
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:58   #3510  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

If you want bug-for-bug compatibility with Avisynth 2.5.8 until the heat death of the universe, then maybe what you want to use is... Avisynth 2.5.8? But then again, adding an explicit ConvertToFloat call is hardly back-breaking labor for any of you, now is it? In fact, I'd wager it's less work than downgrading to 2.5.8. I mean, yeah, it should be documented that it doesn't implicitly convert anymore, but the presence of implicit conversions has a far greater potential for Surprise and Confusion than removing them does. Yes I know you're used to the old behavior but that doesn't mean it's any less confusing for new users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
I totally agree with tebasuna. The "+" in AVS+ stands for "Everything which standard AVS has, and then plus a lot of other things". At least this is how it should be.

Breaking backward compatibility is a BAD thing, and it's even worse if it is not a bug, but a deliberate design decision. Even if you think that the standard AVS design is wrong, you cannot just change it because of the huge installed standard AVS user base. If you want to change the design then do something completely different like VapourSynth.
If people actually consistently applied this logic then Avs+ would never have happened, because like it or not it is a substantial design departure from OG Avisynth in many respects. It maintains a user interface that is mostly similar, but even that is not the same.

Either way though, "once you've got a design that a lot of people use you can't ever change it" is a fundamentally brain damaged position to take in software design.

Last edited by TheFluff; 4th July 2017 at 00:07.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:36   #3511  |  Link
stax76

There is always something between black and white..., like a option both on system and file level.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:19   #3512  |  Link
vcmohan

To satisfy both, may be, have a separate section in doom9 forum like vapoursynth has.
Old 4th July 2017, 13:20   #3513  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

iirc the strict check about variables type was introduced with 2.6 vanilla branch