Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 19th March 2019, 17:59   #23381  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
LAV Filters 0.74
Code:
- Changed: Improved support for additional UtVideo subtypes
Hi!

I guess UT Video T2 RGB video is not among what ffmpeg supports, because LAV only produces a black screen.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2019, 18:38   #23382  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I don't have any experience with UtVideo. I just pass it to ffmpeg. I suggest to try the ffmpeg commandline to see if it supports such videos.
Old 19th March 2019, 19:26   #23383  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
I don't have any experience with UtVideo. I just pass it to ffmpeg. I suggest to try the ffmpeg commandline to see if it supports such videos.
Well, it gave an error for the same file: "Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input" repeated many times.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2019, 23:18   #23384  |  Link
GCRaistlin

LAV Video seems to report the active hardware accelerator incorrectly.
The test system has dual graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6620G (integrated) and AMD Radeon HD 6750M (discrete). I renamed mpc-hc64.exe to ~mpc-hc64.exe (or else the video driver doesn't allow to use the discrete graphics for MPC-HC), set it to use the discrete graphics in Radeon Additional Settings applet, launched it - LAV Video decoder (0.74.1, tried internal 0.74.0, too) says: "Active Hardware Accelerator AMD Radeon 6620G" (while Switchable Graphics Application Monitor reports that ~mpc-hc64.exe is using the "High Performance" (discrete) GPU). If I set MPC-HC64 to use the integrate graphics LAV Video decoder reports the same. That is, switching between adapters doesn't affect what LAV Video is reporting.
Then I installed FurMark. By default, it uses the discrete graphics, shows 14 fps with it and reports: "AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series". If it forced to use the integrated graphics it shows 2 fps and reports: "AMD Radeon 6620G". That is, it's really been switched and correctly reports what GPU is currently being used.

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 02:03   #23385  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

With which hardware decoder mode is that?
Generally LAV will ask the D3D device it uses for decoding during startup about its name, and then store that name somewhere. If its being switched out behind its back, then it won't catch that (and since its cosmetic only, also not really care).
Old 21st March 2019, 02:40   #23386  |  Link
huhn

you are not supposed to rename anything to use a different GPU there are other ways that should work.

like display-> Graphics settings -> browse -> add mpc-hc and now you can manipulate windows to use a different GPU for that program.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 02:46   #23387  |  Link
clsid

To clarify: the setting that huhn refers to is found in the Windows settings app, and exists since Windows 10 1803.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 08:22   #23388  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Quote:
With which hardware decoder mode is that?
Generally LAV will ask the D3D device it uses for decoding during startup about its name, and then store that name somewhere. If its being switched out behind its back, then it won't catch that (and since its cosmetic only, also not really care).
It's with dxva (copy-back). The D3D device wasn't definitely being switched out behind LAV's back as I first set MPC-HC to use the discrete graphics and only then launched MPC-HC. As for cosmetic only I don't completely agree with you as this info (if it is correct) could help to diagnose performance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
the setting that huhn refers to ... exists since Windows 10 1803.
The OS being used is Windows 8.1 x64.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 21st March 2019, 11:51   #23389  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
It's with dxva (copy-back). The D3D device wasn't definitely being switched out behind LAV's back as I first set MPC-HC to use the discrete graphics and only then launched MPC-HC. As for cosmetic only I don't completely agree with you as this info (if it is correct) could help to diagnose performance issues.
I didn't mean that you changed it, but possibly Windows or the driver does. I literally create the device and right after ask about its name. So either its really using the integrated graphics for decoding, or its lying to me somewhere.

I don't suppose you have any way to check which device is actually doing the decoding, based on hardware usage etc, instead of just trusting the tool that says it should be the dedicated?
Old 21st March 2019, 14:32   #23390  |  Link
kolak

Is there any reason why LAV decoder can't read MOV headers for color flagging (including new tags for master display information: https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/patch/6409/) and pass it to madVR (like it does for h265)?
This would allow to play eg ProRes, DNxHR etc. HDR files to HDR TV.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2019, 16:30   #23391  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Of course, the reason is that the decoder doesn't get access to the container file. It can only read the video stream itself, anything else would require manual handling of some sort.
Old 21st March 2019, 17:33   #23392  |  Link
GCRaistlin

nevcairiel
Switching the GPU for an app is, for some unknown reason, often a hack thing in AMD systems, with all that renamings of exe's. So I was hoping to get another proof from LAV that all is working in the right way. The fact is that I can't see any difference in madVR's performance when MPC-HC set to use the integrated GPU or the discrete GPU. The conclusion is either 6620G and 6750M have the equal possibilities in video processing made by madVR or MPC-HC ignores the GPU setting and always uses the integrated graphics, though the driver reports the reverse.

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 21st March 2019, 17:57   #23393  |  Link
el Filou

Configure DXVA Checker the same way as MPC-HC, then do a decode benchmark while monitoring your integrated and discrete GPU. If the iGPU is used for decoding you should see some GPU load on it even in pure decode mode.
Old 21st March 2019, 20:59   #23394  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Should I look at GPU Engine Usage? How to do a decode benchmark?

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 21st March 2019, 21:55   #23395  |  Link
el Filou

Install DXVA Checker: http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/DXVAChecker.html
go to DS/MF Decoder ==> Check Decoders ==> Select media file ==> click the arrow next to LAV Decoder ==> Decode Performance ==> DXVA2.
For usage monitoring you can use GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:35   #23396  |  Link
GCRaistlin

Is it normal that I have "Unsupported" under "LAV Video Decoder" on DS/MF Decoder tab?

Magically yours
Raistlin
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:38   #23397  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Of course, the reason is that the decoder doesn't get access to the container file. It can only read the video stream itself, anything else would require manual handling of some sort.
Ok, so this info has to be inside stream headers, not container.
In case of ProRes and DNxHR it's (except master display info). They have private headers flagging inside as well.
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:40   #23398  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
Is it normal that I have "Unsupported" under "LAV Video Decoder" on DS/MF Decoder tab?
Yes. I'm not sure what it tries to read there, but it works regardless.
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:41   #23399  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Ok, so this info has to be inside stream headers, not container.
In case of ProRes and DNxHR it's (except master display info). They have private headers flagging inside as well.
If you can provide example files, I could take a look. In theory there already are some mechanisms to transport this data, since I added it for HDR WebM Files, which only have it in the container data as well, but it needs to be implemented for every container specifically, unfortunately.
Old 22nd March 2019, 14:08   #23400  |  Link
kolak

In all cases you have the same container flagging (ProRes also has correct private frames headers flagging, but DNxHR/Cineform not). Best to relay on MOV flagging. In this case: colr, clli and mdcv tags. Those fully describe HDR content.
DNxHR also stores range info in ACLR tag. ProRes has no range info as it should be rather always limited range (although you can make full range file as well). Cineform has no known range flagging either.

Link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dm...3Pni2cSGvTQ1hq

Values for different standards HDR10, HLG etc are the same as for h265. Mediainfo has support for all those tags.

Last edited by kolak; 22nd March 2019 at 14:11.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter