Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 24th May 2022, 14:22   #1  |  Link
Dalaibot

Converting Dolby Vision Profile 7 to Profile 4

Hi,

Sorry, I'm new to these forums , but stumbled accross this thread, where topjes talked about using MakeMKV, dovy and Mkvtoolnix to convert 4k Blu-ray rips (which are always profile 7) to profile 8 or profile 4.

Since my current setup only supports profiles 4 & 5 I've searched high and low for a method to convert my rips to Dolby Vision profile 4 and I've used all the above-mentioned tools previously, but cannot work out how to strip out the HDR10 baselayer from the BL, EL + RPU in such a way that makes the end file recognised as profile 4 by MediaInfo.

Has anyone done this before? Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Dalaibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 08:18   #2  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjes View Post
2.) "remux" it with mkvtoolnix with original EL+RPU (extracted from UHD Remux) into dual track dual layer Dolby Vision Profile 7. Then I can also put this file into MakeMKV and create single track dual layer Re-encoded BL + original EL + original RPU Dolby Vision Profile 4.
I don't think importing a dual track dual layer Profile 7 mkv into MakeMKV will give a Profile 4 result. What MakeMKV does is interleaving BL and EL into one videotrack, making it single track dual layer. Profile will remain 7 though.

I have no experience with converting DV Profile 7 to DV Profile 4. I understand this profile 4 has SDR baselayer. I highly doubt that you can extract a HDR-encoded baselayer from Profile 7 "recognised as" SDR. You can't take an apple out of a basket in such a way it turns into a pear, my guess...
Additionally, even if you'd remap tone and recode BL, I don't think you can combine with native EL. Which is still HDR in the first place, but also because of AV sync issues mentioned in the aforementioned thread.

Profile 5 uses proprietary colorspace, so I don't think freeware can be used for converting (BL only, that is).

Maybe other people will chime in.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2022, 17:26   #3  |  Link
Dalaibot

Thanks for the response. I think you're probably right, but I'll spend some time over the weekend seeing what I can come up with in respects combining the rpu from the EL and injecting it into various transcoded/tonemapped variations of the baselayer and see if I can get it recognised as profile 4 and maybe even playable...
Dalaibot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolby vision